Waypoint Not in Database

Scotflieger

Several times now I have tried to enter a new route into the FMC and get the error message that the waypoint is Not in Database. For example, entering EGPH/EGLL into the scratch pad I clicked on key 1R I get the following New Waypoint page. It this case it failed to find London Heathrow EGLL.

post-103067-0-37142700-1411896220_thumb.

I am using the A319 with the default 1410 database. The fault occurred after a previous route had been flown or a saved state was loaded.

if i remember correctly i pressed secondary database. than there was a error comming up. i cleared it and couldn´t enter the arrival airport as shown in Scotflieger´s screenshot.

Interesting.

I have quite some of those problems too. I use PFPX / FSC with the same Navdata Pro database as installed in the A318/319 (through Navdata Pro subscription, currently 1410), and yet sometimes it happens that I cannot enter a route created with PFPX or FSC in the MCDU because e. g. I cannot terminate an airway at a given waypoint ("NOT ALLOWED") although in PFPX and FSC I have a valid route.

Also, some ILS frequencies are not recognized by their respective IDs, e. g. ISTW (EDDS ILS25, 109.90), while others are.

I don't know if the database is to blame or if it's an MCDU thing.

Also, some ILS frequencies are not recognized by their respective IDs, e. g. ISTW (EDDS ILS25, 109.90), while others are.

I think this is an issue of the scenery respectively the navigation data delivered with them. Did you check with the inbuilt flight planner of FSX if the mentioned ILS frequencies are in the database? MDCU knowing the parameters is one part, receiving them is another.

I think this is an issue of the scenery respectively the navigation data delivered with them. Did you check with the inbuilt flight planner of FSX if the mentioned ILS frequencies are in the database? MDCU knowing the parameters is one part, receiving them is another.

It's not a problem of receiving them when entering the frequencies as such. I can perfectly fly EDDS ILS25 when directly entering 109.90 in the ILS section of the NAV RAD page. It's the Aerosoft Stuttgart X scenery in that case.

The issue is that for certain airports/runways the MCDU cannot assign a frequency to an ILS identifier that was entered. It just doesn't know a navaid with that id.

IMHO the connection between the 2-4 letter id of a navaid and its frequency is stored in the navdata database. Hence, the MCDU should come up with "109.90" when entering "ISTW" (or a choice of more navaids if applicable) when querying that database, regardless of whether the frequency is actually being provided by the scenery or not.

I have quite some of those problems too. I use PFPX / FSC with the same Navdata Pro database as installed in the A318/319 (through Navdata Pro subscription, currently 1410), and yet sometimes it happens that I cannot enter a route created with PFPX or FSC in the MCDU because e. g. I cannot terminate an airway at a given waypoint ("NOT ALLOWED") although in PFPX and FSC I have a valid route.

Is it a valid route as in 'PFPX/FSC created it so it should be good' or is it an actually CFMU validated route? Sometimes PFPX gives me a route that seema to be okay (since it has created it) but CFMU validation shows me errors (like some airways being one way or not to be used at certain altitudes). The nice thing is that the Airbus seems to see or know if something is wrong. So you have to actually validate a route, which can be done in PFPX itself (don't know about FSC) before you can be sure the MCDU will accept it.

Is it a valid route as in 'PFPX/FSC created it so it should be good' or is it an actually CFMU validated route? Sometimes PFPX gives me a route that seema to be okay (since it has created it) but CFMU validation shows me errors (like some airways being one way or not to be used at certain altitudes). The nice thing is that the Airbus seems to see or know if something is wrong. So you have to actually validate a route, which can be done in PFPX itself (don't know about FSC) before you can be sure the MCDU will accept it.

OK. Interesting.

Is it documented what kind of checks the Airbus MCDU carries out on routes? I didn't know that it checks for one-way airways or level constraints.

The 'Bus does check for directional airways and will not allow entry in the 'wrong' direction. I have not checked for level constraints but those are generally part of a procedure that shouldn't be loaded via a canned route anyway.

DJ

Funny thing is though that if I make a plan with PFPX and don't validate it and try to enter it into the MCDU, the MCDU will give an error if I for instance try to enter a airway that's one way and in the opposite direction: I then wonder why the heck PFPX doesn't do this by itself automatically? Someone said this had to do with NavDataPro but both PFPX as the Airbus use the same NavDataPro cycle so that shouldn't be possible. Yesterday I flew from EHAM to ECGG and it took me FOUR validations before I had a valid route... Bit disappointing from PFPX. Anyway (since this is not the PFPC but the Airbus forum ;) ) it's good to know the Airbus itself is clever enough to not allow odd routes.

I suspect the answer with regard to PFPX has to do with the database structure they chose - the Airbus structure is such that you can easily tell airway direction. I've had good results by validating the route with SimBrief before a flight...

DJ

OK. Got that with the validity of the route.

Still, valid route or not, the MCDU should be able to recognize an ILS identifier on the NAV RAD page and come up with the appropriate frequency from the database or present a choice of possible navaids when more than one with that identifier exists.

With regard to the ILS ID issue, I completely agree that it would be nice. However, although the manual for the Thales system specifically says the system operates the way you describe for NAVAIDS (defined as VOR, DME, TACAN, VOR DME, and VORTAC) it does not make that claim for ILS or ILS frequency entries. There is even a restriction that entering an ILS frequency and ID at the same time will give a FORMAT ERROR message. There is also the question of which ILS frequency should be entered - the ILS or the ILSD? In the US they are usually the same but in other parts of the world the ILS and DME frequencies may be different but the IDs may be the same. There are ambiguities with frequency entry as well - the same frequency may have several different IDs at the same airfield. I expect that all of this and things I haven't even thought of make the process much more complex than that for NAVAIDS and just not worth the chance of error, especially when you are required to have an approach plate in hand.

DJ

Further information. This happened to me again yesterday (airport not in database). Checking the initial data page showed not Nav Database listed in the primary or secondary database lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With regard to the ILS. You can enter the indentifier and it will give you the Freq and CRS from the database in RL.

I don't fly Airbus in RL but I thought so since most other FMCs can do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Did a flight yesterday to KSFO, all was fine, did the Turn around selection in aircraft state, and tried to enter the new destination, KLAX, and as above, not in data base. I tried to select cold and dark, but it still would not recognise it.

Jead

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just did the following:

- Loaded a flight with a default aircraft at EGGW

- loaded the Airbus

- loaded Turnaround state

- entere EGGW/EGGD in INIT page 1

No problem at all.

So please guys, explain each step you perform in detail(!), maybe with screenshot or video, to see if there is really an issue. Also tell us what navdatabase you are using.

Any "me too" posts without detailed description will be deleted.

Just did the following:

- Loaded a flight with a default aircraft at EGGW

- loaded the Airbus

- loaded Turnaround state

- entere EGGW/EGGD in INIT page 1

No problem at all.

So please guys, explain each step you perform in detail(!), maybe with screenshot or video, to see if there is really an issue. Also tell us what navdatabase you are using.

Any "me too" posts without detailed description will be deleted.

OK. For my case, please try the following:

- Load flight with default aircraft at any airport

- Load Airbus

- Load turnaround state

- Go to NAV RAD page in left MCDU

- Enter ILS identifier "ISTW" for EDDS ILS 25

- Expectation: MCDU reads navigation database and fills in frequency (109.90) and course (252) automatically in the respective MCDU fields

- Observation: MCDU brings up the page for an unknown navaid where coordinates may be entered

- Navdata is Navdata Pro 1411

Some three letter ILS identifiers sometimes work for the frequency (never got a result with a four letter ILS identifier), but I have never seen a correct course being automatically filled into the respective MCDU field

• Deputy Sheriffs

@bpcw001: confirm the issue with ISTW. Strange thing is that ISTE works. But we are investigating this specific issue with the ILS identifier.

Archived