VAS and framerate

Somebody already mentioned the fine handling of VAS and I can confirm that, I maxed out at 700Mb which is rather amazing. But I also got unexpected fps!

1.png
This is on a very simple airport so it's really the aircraft that put the load on the system. Average fps is 74. Tried this with the 777 and got around 61.

2.png

Far more complex airport and still 50 fps average. Smooth as butter. The 777 got 41, of course still great.

3.png

Really like this exterior and even though it now has 2k textures it still seems light on fps with average 41 fps.

These results are with my standard settings, only the high mem tweak, FS Global weather (a very underestimated weather tool btw).

post-115573-0-57183300-1411581347_thumb.

post-115573-0-19380200-1411581375_thumb.

post-115573-0-82258200-1411581410_thumb.

Somebody already mentioned the fine handling of VAS and I can confirm that, I maxed out at 700Mb which is rather amazing. But I also got unexpected fps!

1.png

This is on a very simple airport so it's really the aircraft that put the load on the system. Average fps is 74. Tried this with the 777 and got around 61.

2.png

Far more complex airport and still 50 fps average. Smooth as butter. The 777 got 41, of course still great.

3.png

Really like this exterior and even though it now has 2k textures it still seems light on fps with average 41 fps.

These results are with my standard settings, only the high mem tweak, FS Global weather (a very underestimated weather tool btw).

As allready mentioned i really can confirn this :-) great times ahead

Is there a way we can adjust the VAS for the airbus X aircraft ? I know for FSX, the max VAS we get is 4 GB due to the 32-bit architecture. please inform me if there is something we can modify regarding it.

Thanks a lot !

The only way to "adjust" VAS usage is by reducing Your FSX dipaly settings and don´t use higher resolution textures i.e preferable keep the FSX.cfg default entry:

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

You might be able to set it to 2048 though.

Don´t set:

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

Higher than 4.5 !!

Some tweakers will tell You to increase it to 6.5, but this will definitly increase Your VAS usage alot.

In FSX Settings: Display:

Keep Autogen at either "Normal" or "Dense" and not higher.

User Water=Low 2x and not higher

Keep AI Traffic lower than 30%.

The biggest impact is Photoreal scenery. This takes up alot of VAS and due to a defekt in FSX this will allways be loaded, regardless if You are on the other side of the globe.

There is a great utility called "Scenery Configuration Editor" which can be found here: http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/install.html

It can be used to group Your scenery and disable airports and scenery You won´t use for a flight, f.ex if You want to make a flight from a US airport to Hawaii, then You can disbale all European, African and ASION ddon Airports and sceneries.

FSX has a problem with VAS usage when flying above Addon Airports and sceneries. Let´s say You plan to amke a flight from Copenhagen to Dubai. As You fly along, even at cruise altitude and get into range where the Addon airporst below You are loaded, then they will use VAS. As You get out of range, FSX does not do a good job flushing out that scenery and VAS usage accumulates over time.

By disabling all those airports You know You will pass enroute, You will reduce VAS usage alot.

Another tip is to periodically save You flight and then reload it. Doing so will make FSX flush out used VAS. On long flights do this every hour and Your more likely to reach Your destination without getting an Out Of Memory error.

As said elsewhere - This issue is not due to either bad developement of the used addon Aircraft or sceneries, nor can Microsoft be blamed.

FSX is getting old and over time customer demands and developers strive to further increas quality has meant that we are nearing the border of what FSX is able to do, at least graphically and modelling wise.

P3D V2 is better optimised and alot has been moved from the CPU to the GPU, but it is still an 32bit application with the same 4GB limit.

Finn

Archived