Flight Data Recorder is cool!

MarkHurst

I was tooling around Orbx-land in my new Twin Otter, trying to get to grips with VoxATC and setting up on the approach to Skagit Regional. I was also using real weather with Active Sky Next. Just as I was about to turn final, another aircraft (a Mooney, I think) whizzed by in front of me. Presumably I hadn't been paying enough attention to the Unicom! Shortly after that I lost control and the aircraft entered a spin. I recovered and went on to land. I don't recall doing anything too wrong with the aircraft and checking the ASN documentation I am pretty convinced that this was a wake turbulence effect! But what's really cool, I had also had the Flight Data Recorder turned on and I loaded the track into Google Earth. You can see the encounter in the following two snaps.

This is an overview of the pattern entry, near miss and subsequent landing.

post-28045-0-60974500-1411320761_thumb.j

And this is a closeup of the catastrophic bit. I guess the near-miss was in that dip in the inner track, as I was descending and just about to turn final.

post-28045-0-16832200-1411320762_thumb.j

So there it is. I don't know which is cooler, the Twin Otter FDR or ASN simulating wake turbulence from AI traffic!

Archived