GPS knobs turnable by left mouse clicks

aua668

Hi,

I would kindly ask to add click functionality to the knobs of the GPS in addition to the cureent solution by turning them with the mouse scroll wheel only. The reason: Some simmers like me fly without mouse and keyboard in their cockpit. I have three monitors for the outside view and two touch screen monitors for the panel. And of couse some GoFlight hardware stuff. By that I am able to fly several aircrafts form GA to big iron just by handling the switches and knobs in the cockpit by simple touches.

With other GPS solutions, which could not be used in that aircraft as discussed here several times, it was easy to turn all knobs forth and back by simple left mouse clicks. So please provide these extra click spots in your next hotfix. As I have programmed several gauges on my own, I know that this is a simple task. And by that the GPS could be used without mouse on touch screen solutions too. It would be a great enhancement for the product.

I attached a possible solution, where the upper half is for turning the outer knob (left half down, right half up) and the lower half is for the inner knob. You could keep the push function in the middle. It's more intuitive than this solution. This works fine even with touch screens, if you define the camera on GPS accordingly.

Rgds

Reinhard

post-50406-0-55692300-1410332040.jpg

Hi,

That's why I meant, that you should keep the cursor function of course in the middle. I just copied an example from another GPS manual. I have made a sketch to illustrate better, what I meant. And of course the scroll wheel functionality can stay in the same mouse areas as they are now. They don't conflict at all. You can have these mouse areas catching the events as you want. So Push Crsr and the turning with the mouse wheel should stay, as they are. You just would have to add these four mouse areas for left click per knob. I hope, this explains it better than my first post with the copied image.

Rgds

Reinhard

post-50406-0-65242700-1410347343.jpg

Finn,

I don't see any reason, why this can't be done in the 3D panel. You just have to create some transparent polygons to catch these events in the model and trigger the right actions behind. You have so many clickspots in your virtual cockpit and they are all working. Why should this not be possible for triggering these GPS functions?

Rgds

Reinhard

It might work, but I doubt it will be easy to hit the exact mouse rectangles that way.

I´m sorry, but the short answer is - it won´t happen !

Finn

Ok - that's clearer now. I am not happy but have to accept.

One comment on how difficult it would be to hit these spots: That can easily be solved with a special camera configuration focussing on the GPS. By that you can use a complete screen 1920x1080 for the GPS if you want. And then it's easy to hit :-)

But any way. You made a decision and I got confirmed in my opinion, that 3D only planes are not well suited for my personal setup, as I have no chance to influence certain things (which I am able in 2D). That's why I haven't bought AXE and why I now won't).

Thanks for looking at this request.

Reinhard

Sorry to hear about Your discomfort with 3D cockpits only, since thats also the way most other developers go, and for the most part allready has gone.

Finn

Yeah - i see this also as a trend. If you are trying to build more compley home cockpits, then it was much easier in the 2D world, as you could arrange panels, even build new arrangements out of the existing elements, gauges etc to fit better into your environment. By that for example the old Twotter was much easier to adopt to my setup, where you could distribute the necessary elements across the several touch screens. With 3D you are limited, what's in the model and no chance to tweak it to your need. With camera configurations, which I switch via my coolie hat on the yoke, it's easy to get the right things in sight in the 3D world, so that you can handle them. That's pretty the same as by showing/hiding several 2D panels. But in terms of functionality you have to live with that, what the developer provided. In the old Twotter for example I built for my floating plane version of TMA the exact copy from the cockpit of the plane, which I was in when I have been on Maldives. I took a lot of photos and then added the same instruments (mix out of the supplied gauges, with own developed gauges and side by side with RXP gauges). And the freedom to do this was fine in the old 2D world. But this has been discussed here already several times and that's how it is today.

Rgds

Reinhard

Archived