EGLL-LEPA route but few waypoints over France

I used PFPX v1.15 to plan a flight from EGLL to LEPA (Palma, Mallorca). This is the plan created...

MID4F MID UL151 SITET UN859 ETRAT UQ203 PUMAL UN859 TOLSO TO1DCP

The problem is there are only two waypoints in French airspace - ETRAT on the Channel coast and PUMAL on the Spanish border. That's a distance of over 440nm with no waypoints.

Surely that cannot be correct. There are many upper jet routes in France. Why has PFPX selected such a odd routing? I've never had such a routing over mainland Europe with so few waypoints.

This is a very common route for such flights. for flight without many turns and intersections it's a really straight route. I can understand that we all get used to busy EU Airspace with many curves. ETRAT UQ203 PUMAL is a populair route for airliners that crosses from south to north france and in reverse. This route provides more capacity for traffic that's only fly over the France airspace. It's a benefit during peak hours for short, medium and long range flights.

I Think PFPX is calculating the shortest way via the great circle distance and not the best route for capacity slots like in real life (CFMU). for that you've to do it manually.

Hello Ray,

As pointed out by the others 'Q' & 'UQ' are mainly nigh-time use, from the AIP UQ203 has availability:

CDR1, SUM: 2300-0400 - WIN: 2200-0500

If your planning outside of those availability periods use the advanced find and Q* and UQ* to the Avoid section.

As for long segments try the Free Route Airspace over Scandinavia with DCT's across the countries, this type of airspace is expanding.

I don't know if you tried to validate the route? If you do the restriction Stephen mentions pops up, rendering the route a no-go during daytime.

Torben

PS: Long direct can also be found on the NAR route system over Canada/US - so as such not an problem in itself

Hello Ray,

Jeppesen charts mention ETRAT UQ203 PIMAL = 446 nm.

Stephen made reference to Scandinavia with DCT. Do not forget Irish airspace (EISN); see enclosed chart where in upper space there are only DCTs.

Regards,

JP

post-92552-0-24272600-1410077566_thumb.j

Hi everyone,

Very impressed with the support here and thank you all for your replies.

I planned and flew the route yesterday afternoon. If it's a night-time only route should PFPX have taken that into account? How would I know when to use the Avoid option for a route?

I didn't validate it but I'll be flying back to Heathrow today or tomorrow so will validate the return.

The shortest path between two points is a straight line so the PFPX routing is logical. I would expect few waypoints over sparsely populated areas like Scandinavia or Canada but this route did surprise me.

Validating the route is really the only option Ray.

Even if PFPX could take in to account the available time periods ( data would need to come from the AIRAC IF available ) the actual airway availability is subject of CDR also and therefore may/may not be available. The easiest way to find out is validate :)

Hi Stephen,

I've tried planning the route again and validated it this time. The results are depressing. I really don't know how to resolve the issues raised. This is the main reason I don't validate my routes as they rarely seem to pass muster. :confused2_s:

EGLLLEPA_Validation.jpg

Use the ADVANCED find route option Ray and add Q & UQ to the avoid list:

post-5872-0-31478700-1410082490_thumb.jp

then select 'find', now validate.

This will throw just one error LE2149 that refers to TOLSO, checking the RAD indicates:

Not available for traffic

ARR LEIB, Palma Group
Except
1. DEP LEBL/LL/RS
2. With RFL Below FL195
Go back to the advanced find and add TOLSO to the ignore list, once again select find and validate, your good to go.
Most of your original errors occurred due to UQ203 been closed during the day.

Clive,

Thanks for the alternative but it doesn't help for the following reasons:-

1) It's a longer route. 16% longer than GCR.

2) When validated it's worse than the PFPX route.

I want to continue using PFPX but need to know how to correct a route that isn't validated.

By the way, try VATROUTE or edi-gla to get your routes, those are valid most of the time and it will save you much time planning ;)

Expecially edi-gla is very good since it got real world flightplans (which most often even looks much better than those on vatroute, routefinder, etc.).

Clive,

Thanks for the alternative but it doesn't help for the following reasons:-

1) It's a longer route. 16% longer than GCR.

2) When validated it's worse than the PFPX route.

I want to continue using PFPX but need to know how to correct a route that isn't validated.

16% longer GCR isn't that bad for such a short route! Sometimes in bad wheather you would plan to avoid. Even if airspaces or airways are closed. :)

Planning in EU is hard thing but nice!

By the way, try VATROUTE or edi-gla to get your routes, those are valid most of the time and it will save you much time planning ;)

Expecially edi-gla is very good since it got real world flightplans (which most often even looks much better than those on vatroute, routefinder, etc.).

Emi,

I fail to understand why you and others are recommending I try different planning software. Especially on the PFPX forum. It does seem disrespectful of this product. Having paid good money for PFPX I want to use it. Others may be happy with alternatives but surely this isn't the place to recommend rival planners.

Hi Ray

I know how you feel - PFPX should be all that is needed. However, route building is an art not an exact science (if I interpret the posts from people in the trade correctly). This makes it a challenge now and then - but as your skill developes, some of the problems will be more easily solved. One of my "hate" airports is Frankfurt-Hahn (EDFH), which sometimes seems almost impossible to make a route into/out of due to route restrictions in Germany/France/Benelux. But I usually find a route - by help from the good people on the forum :-)

PFPX has so many advantages that I can live with the quirks.

Torben

Ray

Its not about using other software. I use PFPX only, but I get routes from 'other places' as mentioned here then I 'plumb' them into PFPX, sometimes the routes will pass Validation, sometimes not, then you can get your 'dispatcher' head on and work out why they do not, like Steve has shown above.

Sometime I will spend more time as a dispatcher than a pilot, sometimes its the other way around. With PFPX you make the choice that's the beauty of the software.

just my thoughts

Torben / Clive,

Points taken but it already takes me too long to get airborne after starting planning. ;) If I add another process into the loop I might never get airborne.

I can understand why you do this but for me it's all about a trade-off between planning accuracy and available time. And I'm retired. Lord knows how you working chaps find the time! :)

Tell me about it!! That's the beauty of PFPX, you can be as 'real' as you want, or just click and go.

BTW here's a RW route flown by BMI and this will fail validation, go figure!!!

MID DCT SITET UN859 BCN DCT LORES

Archived