100% Accurate American Repaint

A month ago, I contact American Airlines requesting any help they could provide in producing a entirely accurate reproduction of their colors currently in use. Needless to say, I didn't expect them to return my email, but they did. They provided the hex codes, RGB's, samples and even aircraft schematics detailing where the 20 different colors (yeah, 20!) are painted. I had to sign a Non-disclosure Agreement stating that I would never reveal or provide any of the materials in a public manner, something I was wary of to begin with.

Needless to say, this is the most in-depth and time consuming paint I've ever done.

Preview images

uV50KYy.png

1bMP8uF.png

NpSXJ20.png

NnKEMYm.png

qB757bs.png

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done ! I'll bet the tail was a lot of work too . You've added quite a bit of " extra " stencilling .

John

Uh, yeah... that's kinda what I was referring to in my PM. :unsure:

Any ETA? :D nice job!

Nope. As soon as I think I'm done with a specific section of the paint, the schematics I have tell me otherwise.

I'm constantly going back in and editing a detail here and there.

Those are the proper American colors!

Everyone seems to have this impression that the livery is dark grey or silver and that is just not the case. Depending on the weather and lighting conditions it does appear that way but it is not the colors we have seen in the past for FSX addons. Yours looks on par with the QW 75 which is still the most accurate color scheme of any addon thus far. I take it you are using SM#7 for the fuselage?

Example - Holgis isnt even remotely correct as to the colors.

Those are the proper American colors!

Everyone seems to have this impression that the livery is dark grey or silver and that is just not the case. Depending on the weather and lighting conditions it does appear that way but it is not the colors we have seen in the past for FSX addons. Yours looks on par with the QW 75 which is still the most accurate color scheme of any addon thus far. I take it you are using SM#7 for the fuselage?

SM#7 eh? Uh, hmm, do you work for American?

SM#7 eh? Uh, hmm, do you work for American?

I worked in the GXD marketing and livery team section for AMR for almost 15 years now retired. So yeah mate I know exactly what SM#7 is. You should consider yourself lucky that AMR provided what they did. Ive never seen any request like this make it up through the ranks like yours obviously has. You had to have had someone go to bat for you in the process and you should be advised that American is likely watching this topic. Dead serious about that. So dont violate that NDA under any circumstances=.

I noticed that you hinted at requesting help from John Glanville to complete this texture. I might be able to provide you and Mr Glanville with some specific files that might help.

Just received your email. I honestly don't know what to say Mike...

What you have provided will move this project from initial WIP to complete in a much shorter time-frame. All I can say is thank you, and I'll credit you in the description upon release. That is of course if I can get John in on this one.

Very awesome! I love reading storied like this. Glad you got to have the info that you got! Nice to see someone go to bat for you. I am kinda hoping they are a Sim fan and the sky opened up for you.

Your paint looks amazing and I will be watching this thread for updates. Please keep those photos coming, and all the little details. You have skill.

Quick update concerning progress.

This is a high resolution photo, so it's suggested to go to the direct link as opposed to viewing it here.

1uSu1xl.jpg

1. As previously shown, this is the aluminum portion of the Turbine Pylon. This was a section of the paint that I considered bypassing and simply "painting". However, given that I stated this will be a completely accurate AMR Livery, I went ahead and created a custom texture for this portion. This is a feature on the Bus that is only relegated to American Airlines.

2. Pretty self-explanatory.

3. This one is a little odd. First and foremost, as you can see, the dark grey area on the pylon in 3 differs completely from 4 which is current. The paint-kit does not feature this option as every aircraft version in the PSD's provided by Aerosoft only contain option 3. This means I had to create a completely new layer and paint/texture it myself. It was a fairly time consuming process. That said, American isn't the only airline that has this grey section pictured above, so I'm hoping that they'll update/fix the paint-kit to provide this as a layer option that can be enabled.

4. The engine cowling markings at the base of the turbine housing are also not a option in the paint-kit. Again, these were layers that had to be altered and painted.

5. Again, self-explanatory. I might scrap my version of the Stab if John can do a better job than I.

Current status and future plans:

I'm sure people are concerned as to the lack of paint on the tail section. John is currently working on that as we speak and given his attention to detail and dedication to being precise, I know it'll come out beautifully. As soon as John and I have this paint completed, I intend to move toward recreating the entire American Airbus fleet currently in use which includes a fictional One World paint. That's five seperate versions in thier entirety.

Regards,

Bryan/DetCord

Many thanks for the indepth progress report its greatly appreciated. It looks entirely accurate thus far but some things will be different from the A319 to the A320 posted above. Thanks for offering to credit me in the description but its not necessary. Just glad I could help.

Archived