Braking performance of the Twotter

FlyingAxx

Hi all,

Each time I fly the Twinn Otter I'm getting in trouble while rolling on ground because of the quite weak response of the brakes (that's my impression, however). This is independent from using my Saitek pedals or just the keyboard. I would have expected that an aircraft with STOL capabilities would react more powerful in this respect.

Any opinion?

Axel

This seems to be true, probably the problem I reported has to do with the ground friction and the excessive power needed to move. I think I'll check that with the Lua-thingy I just found here in the forum. However, in other similar planes I dont feel as helpless when moving towards a (potential) obstacle.

Axel

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be true, probably the problem I reported has to do with the ground friction and the excessive power needed to move. I think I'll check that with the Lua-thingy I just found here in the forum. However, in other similar planes I dont feel as helpless when moving towards a (potential) obstacle.

Axel

Earlier i was crying & screaming in this forum for the same thing, This problem is with the 300 models, i have checked the 100 models which is perfectly fine. I have tried with FSUIPC, but not working for me. I do purchased the FSPS Frictionality but did not got enough time to check with this. See the below link, its worth reading once.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/77296-taxi-power/

Aditya

Earlier i was crying & screaming in this forum for the same thing, This problem is with the 300 models, i have checked the 100 models which is perfectly fine. I have tried with FSUIPC, but not working for me. I do purchased the FSPS Frictionality but did not got enough time to check with this. See the below link, its worth reading once.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/77296-taxi-power/

Aditya

I should have thinking on FSUIPC myself - I use the licensed version anyway. Thanks Aditja, I'll check it out this weekend.

Ground friction in FSX is and always has been porked.

I don´t think that the Twotter is more affected than other aircraft.

During beta stage we tried to increase the braking force, but then the wheels simply skid on the surface.

The only solutions are to use either the FSUIPC option or using a 3rd party groundfriction tool.

There are no vaules settable in the FM files that can fix the FSX groundtriction model.

Finn

Thanks Finn. I tried using a 3rd party tool but it messed up everything as I wasn't anymore able to stop the plane. Now I'll give FSUIPC a try. However, I think that PMDG has managed it somehow at least to smooth the effect. It is true that those birds won't roll without extra power but the braking distances are about the books. I like the Dash very much but I hate ground operation. Probably there is a way compromising a bit better. At the moment there is a moment where the birds jumps out of the blocks and doesn't like to standstill again. If there is something like a physics engine used within the sim the roll friction should be significantly lower than the sliding resistance, right? At least Microsoft's standard birds can break like hell without being rooted to the ground when you want taxi (I'm not speaking about the rest!).

Archived