airway

LFPG

Hi everyone! I just had some doubts about airways, do we have to fly them at the same altitude from start to end? Oe can there be altitude restrections? I was just reading the airways maps over Europe and I descovered that the flight level is not always written,,, Why? Does that mean that there are no altitude restrections on the oher waypoints of the airway and we can fly them at anyaltitude BUT the waypoint marked with an constraint has o be flown at that special altitude? Here are the waypoints of airway U689 (invented ;)): AGOPA- NURMO- LORNI- MOPAR-OL-BANOX. There is an altitude rstrection at LORNI: FL120 and at BANOX: FL180. Does that mean that we can fly at ant altitude at OL, MOPAR, NURMO and AGOPA BUT we have to be at FL120 at LORNI and at FL180 at BANOX? Can anyoe explain me how to choose an airway? If all these sentences are right, for example, we can not choose an airway with altitude restrictions, like FL280 after a SID! Thanks a lot!

• Deputy Sheriffs

You should search YouTube for some videos on the topics. There is really a lot of good stuff around.

For the start I highly recommend Foggles channel!

Beginners Guide To Airbus - Route planning and SIDs
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Starting up
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Flying the SID
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Flying the Approach
And as I said, there are tons of other videos...
Tom.

You should search YouTube for some videos on the topics. There is really a lot of good stuff around.

For the start I highly recommend Foggles channel!

Beginners Guide To Airbus - Route planning and SIDs
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Starting up
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Flying the SID
Beginners Guide To Airbus - Flying the Approach
And as I said, there are tons of other videos...
Tom.

I don't think these videos are very helpful in this case since they're not an answer to the question. This question is about flying airways in general, it's not about the Airbus at all. Sure you can fly airways with an Airbus, but you can also fly then with a Boeing or any other aircraft.

Climbing and descending while on an airway is possible since not all SIDs take you all the way up to cruise altitude and not all STARs start at cruise altitude. In this case you either continue your climb or start your descent on the airway. However, airways can have altitude restrictions. Mostly there's a certain minimum altitude, you should have at least that altitude before entering the airway and while descending you should not descend below that altitude to enter your STAR. In some cases there's also a maximum altitude, you're not allowed to fly higher than that.

For most airways the even flightlevels are being used to fly one way while the odd ones are used to fly the other way.

Thanks,

Do you confirm that you have to choose an airway which have waypoints who are going up?

Like in my example: Here are the waypoints of airway U689 (invented ;)): AGOPA- NURMO- LORNI- MOPAR-OL-BANOX. There is an altitude restrection at LORNI: FL120 and at BANOX: FL180. Does that mean that we can fly at ant altitude at OL, MOPAR, NURMO and AGOPA BUT we have to be at FL120 at LORNI and at FL180 at BANOX? And that this is a nice airway to go towards our cruise altitude because it is going up?

Here are the waypoints of airway U689 (invented ;)): AGOPA- NURMO- LORNI- MOPAR-OL-BANOX. There is an altitude restrection at LORNI: FL120 and at BANOX: FL180. Does that mean that we can fly at ant altitude at OL, MOPAR, NURMO and AGOPA BUT we have to be at FL120 at LORNI and at FL180 at BANOX? And that this is a nice airway to go towards our cruise altitude because it is going up?

Thanks

But why only between FL120 and FL180? You should be between it from LORNI to BANOX, so OL and MOPAR, but why should we be between these altitude at AGOPA and NURMO? Thanks to confirm!

Archived