Star Citizen

Matt_Smith

I used to love the Wing Commander games as a kid. I've got myself on the beta when ever that is, might drop five bucks to get the Arena Commander alpha.

I took a serious look at Elite, we used to play Elite at school on a BBC Micro :lol: But for me after careful contenplation Star Citizen won (Elite is just not Elite unless its in wire frame :lol: ), a huge 150+ system universe which will be persistant online - bring it on. The good thing with Star Citizen, progress from the beta carrys through into the final release. I quite fancy getting a jump point named after myself :D Then maybe try make some money to buy a big ship. Failing that I might just steal someones pride and joy.

I can see vast swathes of time dissapering once the Persistant Universe is out, I can quite litterally see myself getting lost in space!

This will be my trusty steed to get started with:

post-26298-0-67406600-1407772370_thumb.p

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

I used to love the Wing Commander games as a kid.

I played several of those incarnations when I was much younger. This really brings back memories.

Hmmm, Matt, you got me interested now. I will read up a little on this Star Citizen....

• Deputy Sheriffs

Me me!!

And me!

I am sucked in the 'Verse now. Couldn't resist this incredibly sexy spacecraft (Origin 300 series), now it sitting in my hangar, soon to be taken out to the Arena.

931d6f1ec9b0c1756896813402578aef.jpg

p18dphaipmrdj9bc76k8hahls4.jpg

This is my 315p, more suited for space exploration:

n71p.jpg

I am playing EVE Online and looking much into the Star Citizen development. Not backed right now but it looks promising and that Revel & York Hangar is damn sexy. Also the constellation is pretty nice.

Hopefully they can realize what they promise.

br, Emmanuel

I played several of those incarnations when I was much younger. This really brings back memories.

Hmmm, Matt, you got me interested now. I will read up a little on this Star Citizen....

It didnt take much to suck you in :lol:

Well I treated myself to something a bit more awesome than the Aurora, more fitting with what I would like to be doing in the 'Verse. I can see Eric and my self going boldly where no flight simmer has been before :glare_s:

Freelancer_dur_front-Right_visual.jpg

Freelancer_dur_flight_visual.jpg

• Deputy Sheriffs

It didnt take much to suck you in

Yeah, I am a sucker for simulators. :lol:

I can see Eric and my self going boldly where no flight simmer has been before :glare_s:

You got a deal!

Yeah, I am a sucker for simulators. :lol:

You got a deal!

Guilty as charged :lol: The alure of space might also have something to do with it. Or that franchise with the walking rug....

Is there a way to form a squad, if so I might join.

You are albe ot create an Organisation (Organization - cooks kind of daft spelled with a z) which then other members can be invited to. Much in the same way I guess a clan would work on something like Battlefield.

Edit: So I got a little bored watching sunday evening TV I decided to set up an Organisation. SafeRoot Exploration GmbH, I wonder if anyone can work out where the name comes from ;)

The role of the Organistation is exploration and trade in goods we find through exploration. Maybe also taking on freight jobs to help fund our exploration and exploitation of uncharted systems/space.

I have no idea how the Oranisations work lol, so if you want to join apply how ever thats done, or leave your Star Citizen handle and I'll learn how to invite you. Helpful I know :lol:

Edit 2: A link might prove useful https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/SREGMBH

I am confused.... if I buy the 300 I get the access to The Hangar and Arena Commander modules?

I think with the 300i you would need to also purchase the 5 USD access to the Arena Commander alpha.

Edit: The 300i package comes with the discount hangar included. For some reason my web browser at work has taken a huge dump and wont let me link pages :(

• Aerosoft

I decided to hang back because as I see it now it will be a very expensive game to play with monthly cost plus having to pay for everything. They have not yet announced pricing for many aspects. A very uncomfortable way of dealing with customers.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I decided to hang back because as I see it now it will be a very expensive game to play with monthly cost plus having to pay for everything. They have not yet announced pricing for many aspects. A very uncomfortable way of dealing with customers.

I agree that the whole price system of the release version is very confusing and unclear.

- As far as I know there are no monthly costs. But how the 'insurance' is going to be paid in future is not clear to me.

- You should start with a 'package', and that will give you the game and a ship, and in this stage beta access. Starts at USD 45,- for the cheapest ship. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

- At this point in time this is only the Hangar module where you can walk around and in your (non-flying) space ship.

- Then there is the Arena, which is a beta dogfight module. Some packages include it, but you can also purchase it for USD 5,-.

You have to figure out and decide what role you like to play in future and figure out what ship you need for that. Or just buy more ships in future :)

I ended up with buying a good looking ship suitable for exploring and limited (cargo!) trading, but still with 'a bite to it' for combat: the Origin 315p. I might need to upgrade it in future with some more weapons.

Now I paid USD 75 for the 315p package and I added the Arena for USD 5,-.

This should enable me play the game with the roles I envision, during both beta and release without additional cost.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/315p

• Deputy Sheriffs

And the Arena now works good? Is it fun?

It works more or less okay, and it is fun if you like dog fighting.

But by the end of this week there will be the update to version 0.9 which is said to be much improved.

Please consult youtube for tons of videos, also multiplayer.

• Deputy Sheriffs

And the Arena now works good? Is it fun?

You can read the manual of the current version 0.8 here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/uumid5gut1b3mr/source/Arena-Commander-Pilots-Guide-V0-8-02.pdf

[edit]

Or read a Chris Roberts reply:

http://partedveil.com/?p=1&quote=3298731

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, I don't want to go on and on (this is an Aerosoft forum, and not to be used for advertising of other game developers), but this youtube link I want to share, there are some very well made videos to see,

Especially the commercials they do on the ships are the cleverest thing for game development I have ever seen. Mathijs, you should do this too for Aerosoft:)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

I think I will shut up now. :ph34r:

Well said Eric, you beat me to it all. Stupid work getting in the way of such essentail life things like video games. Sorry the Best Damn Space Simulator :P

I belive Eric enjoy's the Arena Commander :lol: How far are you through Vanduul storm now Eric?

Archived