SG4 Frankfurt building texture problem

Florian_S

Hi all,

I have recently installed Scenery Germany 4 and went for a quick flight in and around Frankfurt.

I have noticed that the textures on one of the highrises are staying blury for some reason. It is only when i fly very veryclose to the offending building that the textures clear up and display correctly. I have searched the forum to see if anybody has had a similar issue but it does not seem to be the case.

Here are some screens of the the problem..

thsg41yl8.jpg

thsg42vy9.jpg

I also have Mega Airport Frankfurt as well as the rest of the Scenery Germany series installed.

Hope someone can help

Kind Regards

Florian - YSSY

Hi Florian!

This and the Messetower are MS-Default Buildungs. With SG4 and MAF, maybe your Computer works at its limits? This Bank is the only building with mip-maps; so not showing all the details could be due to the lack of performance?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies :)

@Shaun - Refreshing the scenery does not seem to help. The textures only appear clearly for a short time if i am very close to the building.

@Marco - The performance of the PC should be ok, I still have 45GB free hard drive space, 1024MB of RAM and a ATI Radeon 9600pro 256MB video card. My frame rates around the area are not too bad.

Cheers

Florian - YSSY

Hi Florian!

I just checked it out and I cannot reproduce this. I do not want to strech too much on performance and I do not want your rig look bad, but... :wink:

I started when FS2004 came out with an ATI 9800XT (already superior to your 9600) and all was ok, until more and more sophisticated aircraft and scenery with photoreal textures and ground appeared. Then I noticed all the things that some are complaining about: takes time to switch views (specially in VC), takes time until textures are loaded etc. I switched to a NVidia 6800GT which improved performance, but I did not like the overall quality of the picture. Now I am happy with an ATI XT850 PE, again a boost in performance (everything is loaded almost instantly) and the picture is crisp and clear. So I think from my experience, it's not only the 256MB RAM on the card (all my cards have/had that), but also the GPU and what kind of RAM is on the card.

At that position in your shots, FS has to handle SG4, Mega-Airport Frankfurt, the Commerzbank-Arena (if you have it, very detailed) and even Egelsbach EDFE (in case you have GAP1 as well). That should have some sort of impact.

...and now for something completely different.... :lol:

While comparing your shots with mine, I noticed the different location of that buildung! Are you sure, SG4 has a higher priority than Mega-Airport Frankfurt? The Skyline of SG4 is a little more detailed and comes with an exclude for the MAF-Skyline. Maybe there is the problem...?

Ok, here we go with the screens:

bank1.jpg

bank2.jpg

bank3.jpg

Hi Marco!

Your right, my building is in a completley different position. However I came across this pic in the Avsim review: http://www.avsim.com/pages/0706/G4/frankfurt2.jpg and the building there is in the same position as mine. :shock:......i would check myself as to where the building is supposed to be but Sydney is a bit far from Frankfurt :D :wink:

I am at work at the moment so i cannot tinker with the flightsim unfortunaltey. But I do have a feeling that your right about performance though. I also have GAP1 and the world cup stadiums as well....perhaps my video card just isn't up for it..... :(

I can assure you that my SG4 is of a higher priority to MAF. However by memory my SG4 LC and "Scenery Germany Terrain" are also higher than MAF. Is this perhaps a problem?

I will do a bit more playing around at home and will update if i can get anything to change

Thanks again for your help

Florian - YSSY

Ok, checked some pictures and must say, the position of the buildung in your screens is correct. Now I wonder what's wrong on my side... :roll:

Bank4.jpg

Bank5.jpg

The circle shows, where the Bank is displayed in my FS.

Hi Marco,

Thats not what I was expecting...I was sure your FS would have been right :wink: ...everything else was/is playing up with mine so I naturally assumed that this was another by-product of my problem.

Last night I updated my drivers to catalyst 6.7 and changed the mip map level in the FS settings from 4 to 5 and now the building displays *sometimes*. But when I refresh it goes blurry again. I will keep working away at it till i find a fix or buy a better graphics card 8)

Thanks for all your efforts Marco!

I'm sure we will catch up in the Hamburger Flusi Treff from time to time

Cheers

Florian - YSSY

Just one final update from me.....

I have found that if i press pause when I approach Frankfurt City and pan around in external view and let all textures load completley my graphics card seems to "catch up" so to speak, then all displays correctly. One thing can be said with 100% certainty this was never an issue relating to SG4...just my pc :wink:

Now that this is solved and out of the way.....I'm heading north on to Bremen! 8)

Cheers

Florian - YSSY