Variable Performance/FPS in Games

Hello everyone,

Problem after problem for me unfortunately.

Just got a new PC 5 days ago, and a couple days after, my performance has been very inconsistent, more noticeable. For example, in Minecraft, on one occasion I can get 300-400 FPS and on another occasion I get 1100-1300 FPS (difference is way too large..). In FSX when locked at 30, I have been able to get 30 but other times around 20 FPS (all on high settings and demanding add-ons) I have had a few blue screens, some of them coming when doing system restores, but recovered from them fine. During that time, in the BIOS, I also pressed F5 which loaded the 'optimization defaults' and changed a few things just to note. I have tried reinstalling Windows with no luck.
Temps on my CPU are fine and now I am wondering whether maybe my GPU has messed up, but not sure how I can check.
Specs:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4x4.00GHz (Turbo 4.40GHz)

Asus Z97-A Motherboard

Vision G-Series V2 Gaming Case

Kingston 8GB DDR3-2400 HyperX FURY

Asus GeForce GTX770 2GB OC (with DirectCU II cooler)

Raidmax 835W Power Supply

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda (7200rpm, 6GB/s)

Antec Kuhler H20 650 Liquid Cooling

Asus Crystal Sound 2 (Dolby Home Threatre & DTS)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks in advance and any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

When you say 'non active hardware bits', do you mean like unused fans?

It wasn't my CPU at fault anyway; it was my GPU it was acting really strange:

It is just very inconsistent which I would not expect for a high-end card like the GTX 770.

This is just an easy example to relate and compare (I get worse scenarios on ground at EGLL for example):

I locked my FPS at 60 (at 30 it acts strange), and when cruising with the T7, my FPS hangs around 60 and my GPU load is 32% - http://billedeupload.dk/?v=seWx5.png

A few minutes later, my FPS drops to 30-40 and my GPU load becomes 65% - http://billedeupload.dk/?v=6e9Z4.png

This is a shot in the dark but is there any solution to this native FSX glitch: mouse cursor causes fps loss?

Cheers,

Dan

• Aerosoft

No I mean serial and parallel ports etc.

Locking your FPS at 60 seems a very bad idea as I have never seen any system that reliably can stay even close to that. I strongly advise you not to lock the FPS unless it is extremely high and extremely variable. As a quick test I set my FPS locked at 30 in a very dense environment. I got an average of 22 fps. When set to unlimited I got 33 in the same conditions. The FPS limiter is seriously bugged.

The mouse bug is easy to detect. click on the active FSX window, then move your mouse to outside and click. With the mouse active on the FS window framerates can be seriously affected. Yet another thing P3D solved.

I locked FSX at 60 FPS with Nvidia Inspector, and it performs really well.

Shame about the mouse bug; I won't be switching to P3D yet.

Alright, fair enough. I don't get consistent 60 FPS, but whilst locked at 60 FPS in-flight it hangs around the 60 mark, however at add-on airports, I will typically get 40-50 and down to 25-30 at UK2000 EGLL for example.

• Aerosoft

Alright, fair enough. I don't get consistent 60 FPS, but whilst locked at 60 FPS in-flight it hangs around the 60 mark, however at add-on airports, I will typically get 40-50 and down to 25-30 at UK2000 EGLL for example.

I am 100% sure you will get better results if you just leave FPS unlimited.

Archived