Fsx Tweaking [Help needed]

Hi everyone! I'm new to aerosoft's forum so please excuse me for any rules violation about this post and if I do violate some rules make sure to link me to a rules page. First of all I'm french so sorry for what might be a very poor english quality.

I have recently invested in a pc for flight simulation and here are the specifications:

i5 4670k @ stock speeds (can't overclock with h87 chipsets)

gtx 770 overclocked with 2gb of gddr5 ram

msi h87 g43 mobo

corsair 8 gigs. ( the blue ones ...)

120 samsung ssd

500 wd hdd

750 watts power supplie (I know it is overkilled but I wanted to be able to upgrade my system)

My problem is that I don't run my fsx at good framerates it's like from 12 to 15 fps in the cockpit.

I've seen many others having the same configuration and the same addons running at way better framerates such as 40 to 45 fps.

I need help to tweak my fsx.cfg file because I'm not that much of a huge nerd. What settings would help my pc? What should I modify considering my pc's specs.

Thanks for the help :-)

• Aerosoft

You could make a start by going here http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, it may help a bit.

Rob.

But even then you will need to decide what settings are important. There is no hardware that can run FSX at 40 fps with all sliders to the right. And there will be none that can in the nest 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Hi everyone! I'm new to aerosoft's forum so please excuse me for any rules violation about this post and if I do violate some rules make sure to link me to a rules page. First of all I'm french so sorry for what might be a very poor english quality.

I have recently invested in a pc for flight simulation and here are the specifications:

i5 4670k @ stock speeds (can't overclock with h87 chipsets)

gtx 770 overclocked with 2gb of gddr5 ram

msi h87 g43 mobo

corsair 8 gigs. ( the blue ones ...)

120 samsung ssd

500 wd hdd

750 watts power supplie (I know it is overkilled but I wanted to be able to upgrade my system)

My problem is that I don't run my fsx at good framerates it's like from 12 to 15 fps in the cockpit.

I've seen many others having the same configuration and the same addons running at way better framerates such as 40 to 45 fps.

I need help to tweak my fsx.cfg file because I'm not that much of a huge nerd. What settings would help my pc? What should I modify considering my pc's specs.

Thanks for the help :-)

You haven't told us where your sliders are and what combination of scenery and add-on aircraft you're using. In addition to the above, start with one of the stock aircraft and a mid-range stock airport (like KDEN) and work the trade-offs with your sliders. Turn off obvious memory hogs like "Bloom" and begin by moving sliders one notch at a time to the right for things you value. Also, keep your road traffic/ships/ferries/airline and GA traffic down to 15% while tunning.

The only universal tweek that ever makes sense is to add "HighMemFix=1" to the Graphics section of your fsx.cfg..

There's no best settings for all rigs. You'll need to find your own. Tuning your own rig is better than trying all the general tweeks you'll hear about. Take Mathijs' advice above regarding a stock fsx.cfg compared to all the tweeks and you'll see what we mean.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I moved your thread to a forum with similar questions. Take a look at some of the other threads and see if there's anything that helps. As noted in several of them, do NOT mix suggestions. If you feel you want to try venetubo OR kostas OR one of the others, fine, but don't mix them. For comparison purposes, you could try each in turn, then save it with a file extenstion that makes sense to you and let FSX rebuild your fsx.cfg and start over.

Herman has offered the best advice IMO. It's completely useless discussing tweaks and so forth without actually running FSX with the sliders set as efficiently as possible. Some of the settings are frame killers eg. switching off light bloom, ground shadows and aircraft cast ground shadows will help a lot. If you have AI set unrealistically then it doesn't matter what tweaks you have or what system, you'll have dreadful performance. If you have a third party AI program like My traffic X, then the recommended setting is 25% and no more than 30%. When flying GA reduce airline AI to 0% and when flying airlines do the same for GA. Switch off all airport AI vehicles and reduce boats to 10% and also road vehicles. Reduce you cloud draw distance to medium and also cloud coverage. Set water at Low 2x unless you're running with the Bufferpools tweak and then it may be necessary to set it at High 2x to eliminate graphical spiking. Set autogen accordingly, but I never fly my NGX set at anything higher than normal, GA flying around urban areas set at dense and bush flying set at very dense.

FSX is a very strange beast and only by bowing to her pedantic nature and nurturing her little oddities can you really get the best from her, a little like a temperamental woman I guess ;) Once you have set you FSX slider settings as efficiently as possible, then make some of the tweaks that guys are suggesting. BUT, and it's a big but, do tests slowly and carefully. Set up a saved flight at an airport in condition that gives you a framerate of no more than 25. Lock your frames at 30 inside FSX, set your weather so it doesn't change over time, and save the flight as a 'test flight' sat at the end of a runway. This will be your regular, test scenario that you must ALWAYS return to when tweaking and testing and making comparisons. It's completely useless if you make changes and then try to evaluate things in a different scenario, so ensure everything is the same on every test. The last thing to remember is absolutely imperative, do not, under any circumstances, make more than one change at a time between testing, otherwise you won't discover what tweak works and what doesn't!

It's a real shame that you can't OC your chip, is it possible to turn on turbo mode? Just a thought. Anyway, one thing that is worth considering is that when tweaking, it's very easy to get focused in on frame rates and forget about the other aspects of FSX which are things like blurries and stuttering, which I think most guys will agree, are far more important than getting high frames.

Archived