OOM

737MAX

Helly Guys,

what could be the reason for an "out of memory" message and CTD in FSX?

My system: w8.1, intelcore i73770k 3,5ghz, RAM 16 gb(!) 64bit

just crashed while trying to take off from the new aerosoft dublin addon..

any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a few reasons tbh. Mostly down to high settings. You have to find the "sweet spot" for your system.

I'd say turn your settings down a notch from where they are until you get no more *ooms* also its recommended to de-activate scenery's your not using with this tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Aerosoft Dublin is about 750 MB in VAS alone.

Whatever is required to avoid OOMs in Dublin (in terms of settings and disabling scenery) is more than what you need for an "average" scenery. So, before you fiddle with your settings, save your current ones in a profile ("my normal settings"), and start building a second profile in order to lower your VAS usage ("my VAS sensitive profile").

Then you can switch between two profiles, according to the scenery you're flying in.

I don't agree with the tip to disable scenery you're not using. Since you don't fly in that area the scenery is not being loaded anyway, so it doesn't make any difference wether it's enabled or disabled.

Your hardware should very well be able to handle this situation in FS, but how about your software? How are your settings? Did you tweak FSX? Any other software running in the background? Wich antivirus software do you use? Any Windows tweaks?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I don't agree with the tip to disable scenery you're not using. Since you don't fly in that area the scenery is not being loaded anyway, so it doesn't make any difference wether it's enabled or disabled.

Your hardware should very well be able to handle this situation in FS, but how about your software? How are your settings? Did you tweak FSX? Any other software running in the background? Wich antivirus software do you use? Any Windows tweaks?

You might not agree but the fact is that it does work. I have used it if I experienced an OOM which doesn't happen to me a lot since I don't have a ton of add ons installed. I had low fps in BBI and disabled all my orbx regions and gained 50% more fps so it does work.

Allright, for ORBX regions it might work but not for airport sceneries. They're only being loaded once you get close to the airport, otherwise they don't do anything.

That depends totally on what tweaks you apply. At least, one of them that is absolutely needed is the highmemfix tweak. Under the graphics section in FSX.CFG, simply add this rule:

HIGHMEMFIX=1

This will allow FSX to use more than 512 MB of video memory. Otherwise you can have as much video memory as you want, but FSX can't use it.

Furthermore you can agree or disagree with any tweak available, they all got their pros and cons. Some will make it better, some will make it worse.

Archived