Can not get the engines running

emisary

Hello,

I bought this Twinotter extended about a year ago.
Learned a lot, and also learned to use the Checklist.
In the end, I could get the plane doing everything I wanted it to do.
I used the cold and dark, and worked my way through the list.
I think I had version1.01 installed. And added the patch.
Later I updated to version 1.03 and it still worked.
Updated to 1.04 and started to fly the Caravan and Fokker 50.
In the meantime a year past by and I thought it was time to pick the Twinotter again.

I worked myself nicely through the checklist and every went pretty well, until I have to start the engines.
I do not see any of the meters change.
I canput that red fuel selector to the front by nothing works.
Yes I can hear a turbine run, but that is it.

The plane has sufficient fuel (50% and up).

Nothing works. If by accident I leave the fuel selector on, the plane catches fire.
If I use the Ctrl +E combination, the plane starts nicely.

I think I miss something, but the question is what? As I followed the list.

I also deinstalled 1.04, downloaded 1.11 (which is a smaller zipfile?) and installed that version.
In the end, it does not give a different thing. Still no engine to start, by hand.

I saw in another threat that you wanted to have what is in twotterx.asc?
Here it is.

[Variables]
TW_Bat_Bus_voltage=25.809143
Failures_disable=1.000000
Twotter_has_no Startlocks=0.000000
Startup_situation=1.000000
Checklist_Feathprop=1.000000
Panel_View_disable=0.000000
Checklist_View_disable=0.000000
Checklist_camera_disable=0.000000
Clock_Timebase1=0.000000
Clock_Timebase2=0.000000

Thanks ahead,

RobB

Have You made Your own startup flight situation inorder to have aircraft loaded in a cold and dark state ?

In general custom made cold & dark situations will more often than not introudce issues with complex addon aircraft, so better not use them.

Try to do the autostart, then select Cold & Dark from the checklist and then do Your manual startup sequence.

The variables from ASC seems Ok.

Finn

Thanks for your reply.
No, I have not made custom cold and dark. (would not even know how to).

But what I saw was also, that I had my fuel tanks full or at least at 80% according to the meters, was that my goflight panel, which has 1 one light coupled to low fuel, was burning. So saying I had no fuel (saw that last night after I had done this post and was closing for the night).

I fueled the plane through the aerosoft tool, and via the fsx menu, aircraft.

Maybe that has something todo with it? On the other hand I cannot describe why Ctrl+E would work.

On the otherhand, if I do not use Cold and Dark but the second option, I can start in a normal way.

Greetings,

RobB

Small addition.
Could it have something todo with the fact that I use DX10 via Steves tool?
Because that is something I bought after I had stopped flying the Twinotter Extended.

RobB

I don´t think that the DX10 fixer will cause such an issue.

It is important that these items are set:

-Check fuel quantityfor both Fwd and Aft tanks

-Electrical power set

-Firehandles are in

-Fuelshutoff switches are set to Norm

-Fuel selector set to Norm

-Fuel boost pumps set to On

-Ignition switch set to Norm

-Power lever at idle

-Propeller lever full forward

-Fuel levers Off (back)

-Turn on the starter for the engine to start

-Above 12% Ng set the fuel lever (roof) to On (Forward)

Finn

Strange..

Do You have any hardware that could interfeer ?

On the second screenshot I see that the starter switch is not engaged (Neither set to Left or Right) and Your propeller lever are full back (Not so important).

Finn

Hello,

I had that started switch put back to normal.
I had the propeller lever at feathered, because the list gives you an option. Forward or feathered. A few points further did the list say to press the right lever to the front.
Would not make sense if the lever would allready be at front. But that is on a sidenote.

On the otherhand you could be on a track.
You asked me, if I have any hardware that could interfere.
So I switched off all the goflight devices. Now I could start the engines.

I think that I know which devices are the culprit.

I have 2 RP48 and 1 GF-P8.
And I have them programmed as follows:
1 RP48 can select 4 engines at a time, or just a single engine (4 engines.), fuel pump on/off.
I attach the 3 screenshots of the config.

Maybe there is a way to use the Goflight devices for regular planes. And use them for the Twinotter. And use the in-plane buttons as I had done allready, but make it working.

Greetings RobB

post-90156-0-79462600-1405264452_thumb.j

post-90156-0-84715000-1405264457_thumb.j

post-90156-0-34669200-1405264468_thumb.j

In order to have seperate setups for various aircraft, I can highly recommend using FSUIPC.

For added options You could also use the LINDA/LUA stuff made by Günseli found here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/71615-linda-module-for-twotter-extended-available/

Please read hpw to setup both FSUIPC and Günseli's LINDA module in the documents that comes with both.

Finn

OK, a small addition.

I have switched the Goflight stuff on again.
I editted the goflight config and switched off the buttons to start Engine 1 and 2 on the Goflight panel PF8.
And I can still use the procedure to start the Twinotter.
So somehow the the Engine start buttons interfere with the Twinotter startup.
Then I only wonder what happened between 1.02 and 1.11, because (I think), I could start the engines a year ago and had these 2 buttons. Not the rest like the RP48, which I had bought in november last year,

Thanks for thinking with me.

RobB

Maybe something has been changed inorder to make the Twin Otter multiplayer compatible - I simply cannot remember if the Start switch was among the changes.

Finn

Now that I know what causes this, I wonder, in case I keep my goflight stuff as it is, and work myself through the list, and then instead of clicking and doing the engine start according to the checklist, I would do Ctrl+E, and then follow the list again. Is that a problem?

RobB

Now that I know what causes this, I wonder, in case I keep my goflight stuff as it is, and work myself through the list, and then instead of clicking and doing the engine start according to the checklist, I would do Ctrl+E, and then follow the list again. Is that a problem?

RobB

I don´t think it will cause any iisues for the rest of the checklist or flight.

The only thing I can recommend is to try it out - if it works with n apperant issues, then it´s Ok.

Finn

Hello again,

I am not sure if I should continue or open this at a new thread.
But I made a trip from ehbk to egnm.
Between ehbk and LNO vor, I encountered lots of clouds and rain. It is summer here and if there is one thing I would not expect it is icing.
Yet around 9800 feet, the plane starts to struggle. Decend and trying to climb. The speed walks back to 54 knots.
Suddently no speed, and I thought, ok, icing. Pitot on and speed was back at 54knots.
Then I thought, if the pitot freezes over, maybe my props have issues of being frozen over as well. So I pushed the deice buttons.
I hear the power drop, and the speed goes back to 48knots. Comes back to 80, on a slow pace.
I could continue my climb (allready decended to 7200 feet.). The plane slowly climbs out of the clouds, and stops the climb at fl160 as I had planned.
I had EBLG 20nm behind me and thought that the deice could be switched off.
Which I did. Speed went up to 120knots. I pulled the prop levers back to 75%. I lost 10lkn of speed, but also used 40% lessor fuel.
I am not sure if that was the right procedure.

About 60nm further, I suddenly had an engine flame out for both engines.
At first I thought, that the generators where not running, but they where on. The plane had more then 50% fuel.
I had been about 50 minutes in the sky, and I am looking for what the cause could be.
The recorder does not even mention the flame out, nor does it mention that I landed the plane.

What could be the cause?

Thanks ahead again.

RobB

It really depends on the outside air temperature.

Note rhat temperature drop 2 degrees / 1000 ft. That means at 10.000 feet the temperature has dropped around 20 degrees from the temperature present at sealevel.

Let's sat the oat was 18 degrees at sealevel, then it will be -2 degrees at 10.000 feet.

If any moisture exist (clouds are moisture) then there is a risc that icing will occure.

You must turn on:

Window heat

Pitot heat

Prop de-icer

Inlet heater

Inertial seperator

De-icing boots

It's a misconception that icing doesn't occur in summertime.

Finn

Finn,

O k é.
Thanks for the explanations.
Makes it a lot clearer.

As you know so many things... 2 bonus questions?

1. Is it normal that the climb speed drops from around 700-1200 to around 100 just because of the anti-icing?

2. I fly FL160 westbound, over the Netherlands/Belgium. I know that the maximum is a bit higher, but I also wonder what would be better? So stay at FL160, climb to FL220, or what I am getting a better feeling for is FL100-FL120 lately, because I read a bit more lately about TurboProps..

Greetings,

RobB

Remember the Twin Otter is unpressurized, thus You wolud need oxygen for flights above 10.000 ft.

It would be better to make a more thorougly investigation on what weather to expect enrouyr and maybe fly around any potential hazards.

But with all anti-icing systems On, only heavy icing could become a problem.

Stay out of clouds and evade precipitation.

Finn

Never thought about it that it was an unpressurized plane.
Learned something. Thanks for that.

Clouds where overcast from a few 100 feet til over 10.000, so no way to avoyd them

Super, answers and help.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have the manual in front of me but some PT6 aircraft require the ignition to be turned on in heavy icing or precipitation. Could that the cause of the flameout be engine icing or rain ingestion?

About 60nm further, I suddenly had an engine flame out for both engines.
At first I thought, that the generators where not running, but they where on. The plane had more then 50% fuel.
I had been about 50 minutes in the sky, and I am looking for what the cause could be.
The recorder does not even mention the flame out, nor does it mention that I landed the plane.

What could be the cause?

Thanks ahead again.

RobB

It really sounds like ice ingestion.

Turn in inlet de-icers and extend the inertial seperators.

Also turn on de- icing boots, pitot heat, prop de-icers and windscreen heater.

Most switches can be found on the overhead.

Finn

Hey Finn, are your holidays over? Hope you enjoyed your Trip!

Yep holidays are almost over and we had a real nice trip to Stockholm in Sweden :)

Finn

Archived