Problem installing CumulusX and WinchX

Captain Crewe

Hello

I'm just back from a wonderful week at the York Gliding Club based at Sutton Bank, North Yorkshire - highly recommended. The weather was kind to me, but in case it isn't the club has a computer running FSX SP2 on Windows XP Home Edition SP3. They've set up a superb 3-panel display with 3 projectors and linked FSX to a proper full-sized two-place cockpit. The physical stick, rudders, airbrake and gear all link to sensors that feed into FSX. All working well.

I was asked to assist with the errors they are getting when trying to install/run WinchX and CumulusX. They've got the latest versions of each but neither installs (or runs) properly. As I know from my own FSX setup, this is usually an easy process but I couldn't get it working, hence looking for a bit of help.

Their PC has .NET 3.5 SP1, .NET 3 SP2 and .NET 2 SP2. For WinchX, I tried following Peter's manual installation instructions - their EXE.XML file was missing, so I created that using another forum post as a template. All files present and correct in FSX's Modules and SimObjects folders. Then I tried running WinchX. The error is consistent at least - System.IO.FileNotFoundException. But no clue as to which file.

So I tried CumulusX. Running the install.cmd file failed, so again a manual install. When opening CumulusX, the error was InvalidOperationException.

I ran out of time up there, but researched a bit today and got them to verify that SimConnect was working, using the DodoSim utility for that purpose. All checked out OK.

So the prerequisites seem to be met, they don't have any other add-ons except for the b21_vario, FSX is working, and I'm stumped. I wonder if anyone can suggest some further things to check, or perhaps point out a requirement that I've missed.

With many thanks and regards

Sebastian Crewe

Hello Sebastian, Hopefully Peter (the maker of both programs) will be around soon, as I am going to be out for the rest of the night possibly. Peter is pretty fast in replying to things that involve CumulusX and WinchX, but in the meantime when I get a chance, I will look at an old WinXP I have to see if FSX is still installed to see if I can reproduce the error.

One thing to possibly look at is the EXE.XML you created. There could be a mispelling or just a <SPACE> where there shouldn't be, or something along those lines. Got to go now, but will return hopefully in the next 6-18 hours.

Scott

Hi Sebastian,

hm, public use as a service within a glider club (taking fees from members) is not considered under free-ware or personal license conditions. They should ask for a commercial license instead. I can make a reasonable offer, which would inlcude support as well.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Sebastian,

hm, public use as a service within a glider club (taking fees from members) is not considered under free-ware or personal license conditions. They should ask for a commercial license instead. I can make a reasonable offer, which would inlcude support as well.

best regards,

Peter

Fair enough. I will pass that on to them. Many thanks for making the utilities available to the many private users.

I found the answer on p31 of Peter's CumulusX manual. While on site, I'd noticed they hadn't installed the prerequisite.NET 2. I got this by installing the .NET 3.5 package, and then applying the updates available for that. It includes .NET frameworks 2 and 3, as well as 3.5.

Anyway, Peter had thought to include a comment about .NET going in after FSX SP2. Since they already had the latter, their install order matched what Peter was flagging. So I had them uninstall FSX SP2, reboot, then reinstall it. A happy text message announced that CumulusX and WinchX now ran their installation routines without a glitch. Wonderful.

Thank you to Scott for showing an interest, and to Peter helping to make PC gliding more rewarding.

It was great to hear you got it working for them, Sebastian, and also pointing them in the right direction with the licensing issue. It sounds like their cockpit setup is impressive. Would love to try something like that out in person. Do you know if they use the default view controls (like looking left, right, up, and down)?

Scott

Archived