Silence morse code?

guenseli

Hello,

first congrats to this nice addon.

When I start from cold and dark and go through the checklist and tune the VOR in, then I get the audible morse code.

How can I turn it off?

Can't find any switch???

many thanks

The marker beacon sound and the morse code is a bit annoying. Is there anyway they can be defaulted to off at aircraft start up?

Hello,

first of all Big Thank You(!) for this wonderful machine! The Lightning was one of my all time favorites since I was a kid!

Still, I do have the same issue with the annoying morse code. Although I had some flights where it didn't come up, during all the flights where it came up I had no chance to stop it.

What I experience is I do get two morse code signals, second one coming up with a little offset after the first. They do have the same code, but slightly different beep sound. I would say first one sounds like FSX standard, second one a more "vintage" tone.

I'm able to switch off the second one using the ILS Volume knob. But first morse code won't silence. Even if I turn off the tacan unit. :help_s:

So well, I tried different things, like starting the aircraft manually vs. shift-2. It seems like this doesn't matter. What seems to matter is, if I touch the Tacan on the ground or not. Looks like whenever I did set some frequency on the ground, the problem arises. Haven't experienced it yet when I don't set the Tacan until in flight..

Anyway, I'm much enjoying to fly this one! And not to care about speed limits..

I am also having this issue. Two tones, one quieter than the other. The quieter one responds to turning the ILS volume dial off. The louder of the two is there when tuned to VORs but I don't get it when tuned to ILS freqs it seems

I have tried the default Vor Ident off keys both Nav 1 and 2 (Ctrl+1 and Ctr+2) and it did not turn off.

Hi guys, I think there are two Morse signals , one is the station Ident, the other is a directional guide.

I'll see what I can do . Possibly make it a two ( three? ) position switch .

What setting did you have the radio on ? I have just checked the codes and........

radio off= all off
T/R = VOR1 on and DME1 on
T/R+G = ADF off
ADF = ADF on
DL = ADF off
The volume knob silences the VOR.

I normally fly in TR mode.

I am sure it is not a marker beacon. I have heard the inner marker beacon but the persistent tone I am referring to is audible for the length of time the VOR is in range (100+ miles)

Is there an ADF? If so how do you set the freq?

I normally fly in TR mode.

I am sure it is not a marker beacon. I have heard the inner marker beacon but the persistent tone I am referring to is audible for the length of time the VOR is in range (100+ miles)

Is there an ADF? If so how do you set the freq?

No ADF , the Lightning used a system called Violet Picture which utilised the ILS indicators . this would have complicated things so I omitted it . I might try it in the Mk6

The ADF ident IS enabled with the switch though so try setting to T/R+G

I did some more testing just now. I tried switching to T/R +G mode with no success. I also tried every other setting on that switch without success. Both Morse tones remain though as mentioned before the quieter one can be silenced using the ILS volume. Turning the function switch to off does silence it.

I also tried turning off the UHF, standby UHF and ILS power switches also without success, though I could still use the radio for some reason.

Turning the TACAN power off also does not silence the tone.

I did some more testing just now. I tried switching to T/R +G mode with no success. I also tried every other setting on that switch without success. Both Morse tones remain though as mentioned before the quieter one can be silenced using the ILS volume. Turning the function switch to off does silence it.

I also tried turning off the UHF, standby UHF and ILS power switches also without success, though I could still use the radio for some reason.

Turning the TACAN power off also does not silence the tone.

What radio frequency and tacan code are you using and the location you are operating ? I'll see if I can replicate it .

Up until today I have done all my testing in Scotland, The various Vors in the area have all behaved the same.

Today I flew from KRWI and tuned to 117.8/125 on the TACAN.

Up until today I have done all my testing in Scotland, The various Vors in the area have all behaved the same.

It's the DME signal , I've added an off command to the ILS volume .

• 1 month later...

I have just repeated this flight and still get an ident sound after the patch.

Is there any other switch than the ILS volume knob that controls this now?

Hi William

I don't know what transmitters you are receiving but the current state of the radio is

radio select position 0 (off) = VOR1 + DME1 ident off

radio select position 1 (on) = VOR1 ident on
radio select position 2 = DME1 ident on ADF ident off
radio select position 3 = ADF ident on
radio select position 4 = ADF ident off
With the radio on VOR1 + DME1 idents can be turned off with the ILS vol knob
So if you are still getting morse it must be from a VOR2 or DME2 transmission, do you have a saved flight set to receive those? Being as the Lightning does not have a standby radio I never thought to include the commands to turn them off !

Hi William

I don't know what transmitters you are receiving but the current state of the radio is

radio select position 0 (off) = VOR1 + DME1 ident off

radio select position 1 (on) = VOR1 ident on
radio select position 2 = DME1 ident on ADF ident off
radio select position 3 = ADF ident on
radio select position 4 = ADF ident off
With the radio on VOR1 + DME1 idents can be turned off with the ILS vol knob
So if you are still getting morse it must be from a VOR2 or DME2 transmission, do you have a saved flight set to receive those? Being as the Lightning does not have a standby radio I never thought to include the commands to turn them off !
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just conducted another test.
First I flew the default 172 to confirm it is not identifying any frequency nor is it tuned to any local freq. I also confirmed that there is no ident button illuminated on the default start up aircraft.
Restarting the flight, I load the Lightning and select safe for parking.
After start I turn on the tacan and switch it to a/g I also turn on the radio to T/R or T/R+G ( the results are the same)
once airborne and tuned to the VOR I get the ident sound. That's on T/R, T/R+G, ADF, any switch setting except off.
The ILS volume knob is by default set to the 12 o'clock position which the tool tip says is off. moving the knob does not silence the beeping.
I have tried this on both VOR and VOR/DME stations so I don't think it is the DME.
Anyway, If I turn the radio off (counter clockwise from T/R) then I don't get the ident sound anymore but I do still have the TACAN function, bearing as well as dme readout.
I don't remember this being the case pre patch but I am happy as can be with it if it stays this way.
Thanks, William

Hi William

I have PM'd you a link for a new .mdl file with a command to turn off dme2+vor2 . lets see if that helps.

Before I tried the file you sent me I decided to try one more test and I think that may have provided an important clue.

I believe the problems are unique to the MK1a

I had been using the 92 Squadron Mk1a as my test aircraft and as I said earlier, the ILS volume knob defaults to the 12 O'clock position which the tool tip says is off.

When I load a Mk3 the ILS volume knob also defaults to the 12 O'clock position but the tool tip says it is on.

When tracking a VOR that I have on the TACAN I am able to silence the ident beeping with the volume control on the Mk3 but not the Mk1a.

As mentioned earlier, with the Mk1a the ILS volume knob does not silence it regardless of the position.

After this, I changed to the file you sent me in the MK1a folder and it does fix the problem but I suspect it is because it brings the MK1 up to MK3 status rather than because it silences a VOR2 ident.

One side effect is that I see a refueling boom from the VC in the MK1 now.

Before I tried the file you sent me I decided to try one more test and I think that may have provided an important clue.

I believe the problems are unique to the MK1a

I had been using the 92 Squadron Mk1a as my test aircraft and as I said earlier, the ILS volume knob defaults to the 12 O'clock position which the tool tip says is off.

When I load a Mk3 the ILS volume knob also defaults to the 12 O'clock position but the tool tip says it is on.

When tracking a VOR that I have on the TACAN I am able to silence the ident beeping with the volume control on the Mk3 but not the Mk1a.

As mentioned earlier, with the Mk1a the ILS volume knob does not silence it regardless of the position.

After this, I changed to the file you sent me in the MK1a folder and it does fix the problem but I suspect it is because it brings the MK1 up to MK3 status rather than because it silences a VOR2 ident.

One side effect is that I see a refueling boom from the VC in the MK1 now.

How interesting , I recall I reversed the operation of the switch in the modeldef and I assumed this would automatically correct both the switch movement and the tooltip , .......... obviously not ! well another lesson learned :0)

Here is a link for the Mk1 interior with corrected knob .........(unless you want to keep the probe!:0)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsjwhu9j6alvbn3/morse_cancel_Mk1.zip

A final test flight confirms all is well. I am glad to finally be hanging up my test pilot spurs. Thanks for sticking with it.

I feel like one of the lightning team now so I expect an invite to the annual Aerosoft xmas party.

A final test flight confirms all is well. I am glad to finally be hanging up my test pilot spurs. Thanks for sticking with it.

I feel like one of the lightning team now so I expect an invite to the annual Aerosoft xmas party.

LOL ... if I get an invite I'll take you as +1 .......... you'll have to wear a party frock though ! :D

Archived