Landing - Reversers - Real World - help!

rginn

Thinking about purchasing.

I am reading a little bit about the reversers and was curious how well this works on landings?

1.After touchdown If you put the power lever to reverse, the blade pitch at that point must be controlled by the power lever itself as nothing I can find states otherwise. Is this correct?

2. Once in reverse and the AC has slowed to taxi speed or desired speed what is the process at that point to go back into power mode? What position would the pilot put the power level i.e. idle, 10% power etc.

3. Is there a delay for the reset of the blade angle from reverse to taxi?

Anyone have any detailed experience with this phase of flight and the use of the reversers? There is also an Alpha range as well as the Beta range, but not sure if both are implemented

KInd Regards

Bob

Just before landing You will flare the aircraft, by pulling back on the yoke slightly to soften the landing.

At that time You might also bring the power lever back to idle.

Once You are touching down bring the power lever back into reverse. On the real aircraft the power levers must be twisted in order to unlock the levers into the reverse zone.

When airspeed has dropped to a manageable taxi speed, bring the power levers back into idle and taxi by adding sufficient power with the power levers.

In fact there are no special ways to operate an aircraft with reverse thrust than on a normal piston engine GA aircraft, other than the option to decelerate by applying reverse thrust.

But note there is two types of idle settings - ground idle (In FSX that is when the throttle axis are at 0%) and flight idle (on the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended that is where the throttle axis are at app. 10%).

The range between ground idle and flight idle is part of the beta range where the propeller blade pitch is controlled directly by the power levers. The range above flight idle is where the propellers works as constant speed propellers.

At ground idle the propeller blades are in flat pitch i.e. they provide zero thrust.

Finn

Archived