SID's and STAR's

CAB825

Looking over the forum I see there are lots of entries regarding the in-ability of AXE to follow SID's and STAR's correctly.

A lot of posts have been answered and closed with he statement 'to come in the next big update'.

So, any word on the next big update? These issues really hinder the correct use of the A.C. (even though it keeps you on your toes, its really quite annoying).

post-89636-0-66267900-1399471066_thumb.j

• Aerosoft

We know there are some issues there (but believe me, ALSO in the real aircraft) and we have been looking at those all the time. As there is no magic bullet fix for this we decided to leave this issue for now and focus on the A318/A319 where all we learned about this issue is included. Much of that should be reduced in that. These changes will then be made available for the A320/A321 as well. It's not possible to send these updates out for the A320/A321 because they are totally integrated with our new developments. So basically we have closed the development of the current Airbus.

But do not let the forum fool you, there are tens of thousands of SIDs and STARs and thousands of users and we invite them to report these issues. They might not be as common as the forum leaves you to believe. I personally have only ever encountered one and that was because if a database error (that we do not control).

Let me close with an image of a REAL airbus ND display, I think you will recognize the problem.

post-43-0-57288600-1399476272_thumb.jpg

Likewise to what Mathijs says, I have flown some 75 flights in the AXE and rarely--if ever--have I run into any nav problems with flying SIDs and STARs. Most often issues arise from the lack of the MCDU to intelligently calculate and generate vectors to final or a fix.

Now of course this isn't a real function of the Airbus and in real life (and I don't expect Aerosoft to supply such a feature as you can also use selected mode to vector yourself around as needed), ATC handles that, but I've on occasion had to tweak a STAR (normally) so interception of the Localizer is achievable.

Hi!

When talking about AXE ability to correctly fly SIDs/STARs, we should focus on two different kinds of procedures:

1. RNAV SIDs/STARs - based mainly on two types of WAYPOINTS - FLYBY and OVERFLY. Those SIDs/STARs AXE will almost always depict and fly correctly. Problems may arrise in procedures containing defined radius of turn, but those are in minority

2. SIDs/STARs based on Headings, Tracks, DME Arcs, Altitudes, Turns, Radials, Intercepts etc. - With those procedures there is a high chance that the procedure will be depicted and flown incorrectly. Reason is that AXE does not recognise many ARINC Paths and Terminators (Fix to an Altitude, Heading to a DME Distance, Procedure Turn etc.) and therefore is not able to correctly depict and fly such SIDs/STArs.

Being aware of the problem, I fly most RNAV SIDs/STARs in MANAGED mode, but most NON-RNAV SIDs/STARs in SELECTED mode (using Heading/Track) or MANUALLY. In both situations having correct CHARTS is a must.

Mladen

Archived