Airbus won't follow course.

Joe Flyer

Now, I haven't been using airbus often due to FPS issues, but that's a different story. What I'm here to ask about is the LOC button. Anyway, I know the LOC is meant to automatically bring the aircraft onto its route, but half the time, it seems that when I select this, the plane while turn 180 degrees, then will turn a little left, fly, a little right, fly more... and it will completely abandon the route. What could I be doing wrong? I though Airbuses were supposed to be easier to understand than maybe Boeing.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

Hi Joe,

First and foremost, are you fully up to date with version 1.16? Are you referring to your regular enroute route or for a localizer? For a regular route you need to have managed mode selected on the FCU heading knob. You can do this by pushing in the knob, and you will see " ---* " on the FCU display. If trying to track a localizer in on an ILS approach that's a different issue.

If you have not already, you should go through the Step by Step tutorial to learn the systems better. Also, for more help here, it would be helpful to include more details like your route and exactly where you have the issue, and include screenshots of the steps you take that highlight where you are having issues.

Hi Joe

I would suggest that you aim to be on a heading towards the runway before selecting LOC. The heading should be no more than 30-40 degrees off the runway heading. For EGLL runway 27L, for example, your heading should be between 280 and 310 deg if approaching from the south or between 240 and 260 deg if approaching from the south. This will ensure that the aircraft can turn easily onto the runway heading when the localiser is captured and not fly through the localiser before turning back on to it.

The same applies to the Managed mode mentioned by Kyle. Don't press LOC until you are heading runway plus/minus 30 degrees. On some Managed approaches, the final turn can be too acute for the aircraft to turn onto the localiser and still below the glide slope for it to be captured.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived