CL and "the table"- again

Hi everybody,

this is again about the Cruise CL, the CoP Table and how it works (or not):

1st- what I found out when the table won't retract at cruise level: I go to the MCDU, set a new Criuse Level (say 100ft above), go then to the Altitude selector knob, turn it 100ft higher--> when the bus reaches that new level, the table will retract and the Descent Preparation CL will start according to the FP.

2nd- my problem, hoping for good advice:

I usually start my test flights with "takeoff state" (right MCDU). But this way I have no prompt for v1, vr and v2 at the speed stripe. Only the CoP calls- at 100 kts "100 knots" and with very few time-leg "rotate" (the latter much too early compared to what my MCDU told me). In order to have a prompt for at least V2 I tried to take off with no assistance at all and wanted to switch on CL and CoP later on at Cruise Level. I did all the procedures myself (according to manual, Vol6) but neither the table retracts nor a CL is even available at right MCDU (second page). The trick above with 100ft+ doesn't work.

Now my question: Is it possible (by "philosophy") to make a sort of mixed flight, starting with no assistance and switch on CL and CoP when needed, e.g. in approach phase?

And for what good is the speed prompt "100" at the speed stripe and the CoP's call in real life? It is far below v1 in most of the cases, so what is the message?

Thanks a lot for any advice or hint...

First, only one issue in one thread......

1. Sliding Table: I do not fully understand your problem. You are stating that you are already at CRZ LVL and the table is extended. Then you are changing the CRZ LVL to a higher level (MCDU and FCU) and after pushing the FCU ALT button the table retracts and the DESCENT PREP CL starts? Saying it in other words: Step Climb is not possible? I canno0t confirm this. Are you using version 1.16 plus HF19? I just tested step climb with my current developer version and no problems like described. Maybe it is a problem of tolerances? So I would suggest that you increase the FL not just by 100 feet (not real life) but p. e. by 1.000 feet .....
  2. V1, VR and V2: What you explained above is a situation during which you want to make a flight without setting up a complete flight in the MCDU especially the PERF page. If you would enter your TO flaps setting you would also get V1, VR and V2 on the PFD as well as the respective PnF calls.
  3. PF and PnF functions: During your flight you are able to switch ON and OFF the Copilot e.g. you can perform his actions by yourself. But doing this also with the CL functionality makes no sense....... because the CL is the guide line. Also the CL functionality needs a certain state otherwise the system does not know where e. g. with what to start from.

Regards,

Hanse

First, only one issue in one thread......

1. Sliding Table: I do not fully understand your problem. You are stating that you are already at CRZ LVL and the table is extended. Then you are changing the CRZ LVL to a higher level (MCDU and FCU) and after pushing the FCU ALT button the table retracts and the DESCENT PREP CL starts? Saying it in other words: Step Climb is not possible? I canno0t confirm this. Are you using version 1.16 plus HF19? I just tested step climb with my current developer version and no problems like described. Maybe it is a problem of tolerances? So I would suggest that you increase the FL not just by 100 feet (not real life) but p. e. by 1.000 feet .....
  2. V1, VR and V2: What you explained above is a situation during which you want to make a flight without setting up a complete flight in the MCDU especially the PERF page. If you would enter your TO flaps setting you would also get V1, VR and V2 on the PFD as well as the respective PnF calls.
  3. PF and PnF functions: During your flight you are able to switch ON and OFF the Copilot e.g. you can perform his actions by yourself. But doing this also with the CL functionality makes no sense....... because the CL is the guide line. Also the CL functionality needs a certain state otherwise the system does not know where e. g. with what to start from.

Regards,

Hanse

Txs Hanse for your reply- you didn't get me: When I start in CL mode "take off) the first altitude is set (by the CL system) at FL070. Ok, but I want to get higher, say at least FL150. So I prepare my MCDU with FL150 and switch the altitude selector knob from 7000 to 15000. Then I take off. The CL is computed completely- except the last step, meaning switching off the info line "climb to cruise level" and retracting the table. Now, to have a complete "Cruise level state" I set +100ft in the MCDU and then in the altitude selector accordingly. The bird climbs 100ft. It works- the infoline cleares and the table retracts. Its always this procedure, when choosing aircraft state "ready for take off". IMHO opinion it has something to do with that setting "FL070" by the CL system.

Currently I prefer to use the "turn around state" for take off. That takes more time, but the table retracts without further manipulation from my side.

With the CL-CoP system I got you- I have to use it from the beginning of a flight and are free to let the virtual captain do the most of the switches or do it by myself.

The V1, Vr, V2 problem is also in a way linked to the way how to handle aircraft stati. When you- like me- prepare the MCDU completely with rwy and SID and then start the CL "take off" the speed stripe will only show 100. You have to wait for CL completion, then select your rwy and SID, then the three speeds are correctly indicated. Life is hard, and flying an AXE is even harder...

Txs again for you assistance- come back later if necessary...

Best

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I just tried to reproduce your problems but cannot confirm those. So there only theoretical 4 possibilities:

1. You are doing something wrong
  2. Your installation is not uptodate (release 1.16 plus HF19 are the current ones)
  3. Something is wrong with your installation
  4. The problems might have been fixed in the meantime as I am using the current development release. But I do believe this because we never heard of such problems and also looking at the tutorial videos on YouTube (which are based on 1.16) it worked fine.

I prepared some screenshots which you will find below how the MCDU should be set up before takeoff (based on assigned FL250) and of the cockpit dureing the phase "Before and During TO" as well as "Before and After TOC". Please have a look at those marked fields and maybe your "results" are different. By the way after entering 25000 on the FCU ALT field: Did you confirm the entry by pushing the knob?

MCDU SETTINGS:

post-30406-0-20099600-1399719870_thumb.j post-30406-0-61223800-1399719887_thumb.j

BEFORE TAKEOFF:

post-30406-0-29240800-1399719917_thumb.j

DURING TAKEOFF:

post-30406-0-29395700-1399719938_thumb.j

BEFORE TOP OF CLIMB:

post-30406-0-37842900-1399720004_thumb.j

AFTER TOP OF CLIMB:

post-30406-0-56853100-1399720033_thumb.j

Please check and let me know your findings.

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Hanse- I will do some more checks off course. For example: Yesterday I made a FL300 trip. I set the altitude (panel) as late as possible (just one ot of a number of possibilities) at the time I was requested to set take off thrust by the info bar. The same: no table, +100ft, then the table. What I never did yet is to simply accept the pre-setting by the status (7000ft), take off, level out for a minute and climb then further to cruise level. That would IMHO be against all good habbits of real flight management. They all request further climb BEFORE they approach first cleared level or even get the clearance without further request from center.

I'll let you know my results.

Best

Matthias

• Deputy Sheriffs

Matthias,

just to make it clear: Your two important points for me are V1, VR, V2 and reaching CTZ LVL and not extending or retracting the table. Which FL you are using is completely irrelevant - the problem seems to be that you are not reaching CRZ LVL status. Best way would be to send some screenshots like I did so I am able to compare. By the way which TRANS ALT you are using and what are your QNH settings when reaching CRZ LVL?

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Hanse,

I think I figured it out- it is about the sequence how to prepare aircraft status, CL and MCDU etc.

Here is the right sequence (for those who have similar problems and didn't post it):

1) choose AXE with engines off

2) make the (external) fuelplanner

3) prepare MCDU EXCEPT flightlevel and Rwy

4) start 2nd MCDU aircraft status "take off"

5) start CL and CoP

6) set MCDU FL and Rwy (and flaps/temp for v1, vr, v2) when CL is complete

7) leave first level 7000ft as it is

8) take off

9) set cruise level when prompted (at 6000ft)

10) enjoy "the table" retracting at cruise level

10a) if not: see my post above or switch off the PC and have a drink

have a nice Sunday

Matthias

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Matthias,

if the above mentioned sequence is the only one working for you, then I clearly state, that something is wrong with your installation or set up and you should try it with a new clean installation. The proof for this statement is that if you look at the Vol6 StepbyStep Guide (different and much more clear sequence) and at the Airbus X EXT Tutorial videos (part 1 to 5) on Youtube you will see that the A320/321 works as described.

Also it would have been nice if you would have answered the questions asked or send us some sreenshots .....investing a lot of time to help you but just receiving no real answer to solve the problem resp. find the rootcause. Your way is just a workaround......

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Hanse,

my installation is as clean as it could be and I made off course more than one new installations of AXE. What I wrote here is just my personal experience with your product for which I paid money. So no reason to be displeased.

Since you've mentioned the Vol6 tutorial: Its works off course- for a cold and dark status. That works for me also fine. My little problem appears only, when I choose "take off status" from the 2nd MCDU (sometimes I just need to check soemthing without all the cockpit praparation checks, taxi etc. I just use what 2nd MCDU offers. And meanwhile I can reproduce both the little failor and my fix(es). Now- as I mentioned earlier- I choose the turn around status for "quick and dirty" tests. This leads to the question why the status loads a first altitude of 5000 ft opposite to the take off status (7000 ft). The latter works ok, 5000 ft is too fast for the CL. On the other hand its no problem for me since I change the 5000 ft to my desired FL with no impact on "the table" issue. So my facit remains, that there is something wrong with the take off status. The turn around status seems to be more robust against a stupid costumer like me.

Best

Matthias

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Matthias,

the 5.000 feet preset ALT in the TA state are the remaining GA ALT used during the previous landing - because it is the Turnaround aircraft state. But those ALT figures in the three ACFT states are irrelevant because it is SOP (as well handled by ATC) that step climb is used to reach FL resp. CRZ LVL e.g. those figures are changed anyway.

Because your problems seems to be solved (as well as you are the only one mentioning these issues until now) I will mark this topic as solved and close it.

Regards,

Hanse

Archived