Vspeeds in real A320 !!!

zezoA320

zezoA320,

While I'm not a real A320-rated pilot, all the videos I've ever seen of the A320 family in operation show V Speeds being entered manually. If someone else knows otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more.

- Caleb

EDIT: I was able to confirm that the MCDU is designed in real life to have the pilot enter the V speeds. The reference/chararistic speeds are displayed based on INIT A page info.

A quote of the Thales manual (2004, J43126AA 00, pg. Preflight 29-30):

V1, VR, V2 ..... Enter

Enter V1, VR, V2 in their respective fields.

Ex: V1 141, VR 141, V2 143.

V1 & VR are displayed on the PFD speed tape, V2 is sent to the FMGS for SRS mode.

Reference speeds

F, S, O (green dot) are displayed as soon as weights entered on INIT page B. If no weights entered, dashes are displayed.

Caution
The characteristic speeds displayed on the MCDU (green dot, F, S, FLS) are computed from the ZFW and ZFCG entered by the crew on teh MCDU. Therefore this data must be carefully checked (Captain's responsibility).

And so? Just enter in your values.

I believe he as just attempting to learn more about RW procedures.

Also, as Joshua says, you can override the automatically calculated values if you need to (runway condition changes, etc.).

Best,

- Caleb

Yes, you hvae to calculate and enter them manually in the real A320.

I always enter it in this way to avoid autofilling in our Airbus:
Speeds, Flex, Flaps.

If you enter the flaps last it will not automatically fill anything else.

zezoA320,

While I'm not a real A320-rated pilot, all the videos I've ever seen of the A320 family in operation show V Speeds being entered manually. If someone else knows otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more.

- Caleb

EDIT: I was able to confirm that the MCDU is designed in real life to have the pilot enter the V speeds. The reference/chararistic speeds are displayed based on INIT A page info.

A quote of the Thales manual (2004, J43126AA 00, pg. Preflight 29-30):

Me to and thats why I asked, all the videos seen is shiwing entering Vspeeds manually.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an option to uplink the v speeds to the perf page.

It depends on the airline operator.

For one airline, pilots complete the load sheet in the ATSU function of the MCDU

After completing the load sheet and inputting the passenger count and the bag counts into ATSU. ACARS sends the load sheet to Aerodata and Aerodata returns the v speeds, flap setting, flex setting, EO accel altitude, and any special EO procedures for the runway.

The pilot then returns to the FMGC PERF page where you would manually input the V speeds. When ACARS returns the takeoff performance number via ACARS, an UPLINK TO DATA option appears next to the L6 button.

The pilot selects the L6 button, then selects the desired runway using the left/right buttons, selects whether he wants to do a FLEX TO or MAX TO using the R5 button, and then presses the R6 button to uplink/auto populate the v1, vr, v2, flap, flex, cg, EO accl and the zfwcg (on the init B page) values with the numbers received from Aerodata from ACARS.

So that is an option that is out there for airbus pilots if the airline has made it available to them.

Very nice explanation!

At the moment this feature is not simulated in our Airbus however.

Archived