Ok i have a few questions that need answered i'm using PFPX with 737 ngx. Today i use it for the first time with the FMC and the PFPXs SID waypoints don't match that off the SID in the 737s FMC so i just left the PFPX SID out for that portion of the plan.

Next PFPXs TOC is just about the same as the FMC but the TOD is way later than the FMCs TOD? Greeeeat addon lol

Oh and also 41000ft from edinburgh to gatwick? Is this right because i've looked at other plans and there way under? Just feel PFPX doesn't match up to the FMCs database what can i do?

Yes.

IF your using the same AIRAC cycle in both products then the SID's will broadly agree.

TOC/TOD will depend on the performance modes selected within the aircraft.

Spending more money on the product to make it match! Its a good planning tool but far to advanced for me. As for the TOC and TOD is it just the case of setting its max cruising altitude 41000 feet?

It is an advanced tool - but so is the NGX! They match eachother great. Wether it is too advanced for you or not is of cause up to you to deside. But if I was to fly the NGX I would definately use PFPX. Using NGX as a "simple" plane without a proper planning tool is overkill in my opinion. Why invest in the NGX then? You might get a great experience with a simple plane then. But having spend $$$ on the NGX I think the relative small amount of money PFPX costs is magnifing the experience so much more.

BTW I don't use NGX but Prosim and the Jetstream model as I am building a cockpit. But I wouldn't miss PFPX! The calculations of cruise alt and fuel consumtion are spot on and I use them instead of the values optained from the various flightplans given to me by the VAs I fly for.

Whatever your decision is - happy flying

Torben

Thanks alot for that input my problem is NGX and PFPX airac are out of date so the plan is some what different as they both have different airac versions think i'll be spending more money :(

Thanks alot for that input my problem is NGX and PFPX airac are out of date so the plan is some what different as they both have different airac versions think i'll be spending more money :(

A one time navigraph update is only 3.95 Euros and will sync all your databases. No need to upgrade every month.

Larry

Ok i have a few questions that need answered i'm using PFPX with 737 ngx. Today i use it for the first time with the FMC and the PFPXs SID waypoints don't match that off the SID in the 737s FMC so i just left the PFPX SID out for that portion of the plan.

Next PFPXs TOC is just about the same as the FMC but the TOD is way later than the FMCs TOD? Greeeeat addon lol

Oh and also 41000ft from edinburgh to gatwick? Is this right because i've looked at other plans and there way under? Just feel PFPX doesn't match up to the FMCs database what can i do?

I use my B744X without pfpx.

But you need ALOT of experience to know your TOCs (step climbing included) and TODs without professional help.

I call myself a semipro. That's a hobby pilot who knows a litte bit more than the average Ultra light glider pilot.

Let me have a rough guess, Heathrow to Edinburgh, that's not more than 290 nmi.

That's not a distance that would make me enter a cruise alt of 41,000 feet into my fmc...

As I said, you need alot of experience to know your cruise alt without programs like pfpx or without the help of online flight planners...

I use msfs since 2004.

So, for pilots who wanna fly their first intercontinental nautical miles, pfpx might be a good program. But after all, 41,000 is WAY too much for a national flight (within the GB borders). Trust me.

It's even too much for transborder (dt.: eben kurz hinter die Grenze), EDDL - EGLL or EDDL - LFPG.

PS: Let me congratulate you for the choice of your a/c. pmdg a/c are made for years n years of loyalty, especially in case of the fsx versions. If there hasn't been the choice between fs9 and fsx for me, I'd still fly the 737ng fs9!

But fsx provides (a.o.) an ocean that I have not seen in any other simulator. As 'ocean' is rather a B744X keyword, I said to myself, if the simulator has to be changed, why not a complete change.

From fs9 medium haul to fsx long haul and super long haul. And I am happy with this decision in every second.

:D

A one time navigraph update is only 3.95 Euros and will sync all your databases. No need to upgrade every month.

Larry

Thanks alot going to do it tonight for the 737 NGX what will i download for PFPX is it the FMS?

I use my B744X without pfpx.

But you need ALOT of experience to know your TOCs (step climbing included) and TODs without professional help.

I call myself a semipro. That's a hobby pilot who knows a litte bit more than the average Ultra light glider pilot.

Let me have a rough guess, Heathrow to Edinburgh, that's not more than 290 nmi.

That's not a distance that would make me enter a cruise alt of 41,000 feet into my fmc...

As I said, you need alot of experience to know your cruise alt without programs like pfpx or without the help of online flight planners...

I use msfs since 2004.

So, for pilots who wanna fly their first intercontinental nautical miles, pfpx might be a good program. But after all, 41,000 is WAY too much for a national flight (within the GB borders). Trust me.

It's even too much for transborder (dt.: eben kurz hinter die Grenze), EDDL - EGLL or EDDL - LFPG.

PS: Let me congratulate you for the choice of your a/c. pmdg a/c are made for years n years of loyalty, especially in case of the fsx versions. If there hasn't been the choice between fs9 and fsx for me, I'd still fly the 737ng fs9!

But fsx provides (a.o.) an ocean that I have not seen in any other simulator. As 'ocean' is rather a B744X keyword, I said to myself, if the simulator has to be changed, why not a complete change.

From fs9 medium haul to fsx long haul and super long haul. And I am happy with this decision in every second.

:D

Hi thanks for that interseting message well done on your efforts but i'm a long way from that just yet! But i'm not understanding why PFPX is assigning me an Alt of Fl410 its a joke tbh and haven't got a clue on where to start changing settings.

Just to clarify:

The TOC/TOD of the aircraft will never be the same as in the OFP! When you plan your fight you are using predictions of wind, temp, etc. so your basis for calculation will never meet the data you will have during the flight. Even in reallife. :P

But PFPX is very close e.g. to the fuel consumption you planned and actually used in the end, assuming you are using the correct data und fuel bias.

But still a flight within the uk at fl410 is very high!

Yes but PFPX will assign the maximum obtainable cruise ( with a short period of level flight ). If you with to comply with UK restrictions take a look at the Standard Route Document. PFPX will not do it all for you, validating the route will highlight your errors. A learning process that YOU will have to delve in to if you wish to get the most out of planning.

But still a flight within the uk at fl410 is very high!

If the aircraft is empty (or had a small amount of load) it is not very high ... If she is capable for that level, then fly her to the limit.

Normally "Flight planning" is a professional job , if you want to read & learn PFPX will help you to produce "near professional" flight plans for your simulator experience . All issues you mentioned are simple and basic problems , you can overcome all of them with some reading .

SID/STAR ... Airac Cycles : We update this data every 28 days , this is a mandatory procedure for real life ops . But for simulator usage, you can use a database for years :) So for beginnig , just buy a "cycle" from Aerosoft or Navigraph . Download and install the data for both NGX and PFPX . You will be fine after this , SID/STAR and Airways , Intersections etc. will match .

TOC/TOD ... Aircraft Performance : We face this issue with real flight plans and aircraft too ... Not a big deal , but you can learn how to control it :) PFPX by default , uses "speed descend" and "speed climb" .

Climb : 250/280/78 : 250 KT IAS below 10000 feet , 280 KT IAS above 10000 'till mach changeover point , .78 MACH after mach changeover to final level

Descend : 78/280/250 : .78 MACH from TOD to mach changeover point (which is aprx. FL260) , 280 KT IAS from mach changeover to 10000 feet , 250 KT IAS below 10000 until SID restricted speed shcedule .

( Also for cruise phane PFPX uses LRC - Long Range Cruise by default . Change it to CI 50 and enter 50 to your FMC's CI field to match the values . You can use different values like 25 , 75 , 10 , 0 but make it same for both products )

But within NGX , most probably you are using ECON (by default) ... ECON values may be close this values but they may differ (this is why it is called ECON) . FMC calculates the ECON speeds with the data it gets from the plane and the outside sensors according to your settings on Cost Index (CI) value .

So simply , if you wish to match the TOC/TOD as closely as possible . Enter the speeds you planned with PFPX to FMC ... If you enter the speeds to FMC , ECON PATH will change to SPD (SPEED) for both climb and descend .

There is no ECON feature within PFPX and most probably will not be in future 'cause simply PFPX does not use any time related costs (like fuel price , airline operating costs , overflight prices etc. etc.) but for real life ops we have that info and it is updated regularly .

I hope this little info helps you ( for more info you need to search and read , there are tons of info on internet but do not rush , read and practice slowly )

Best wishes and safe flights .

You mentioned enter into the FMC the speeds i planned from PFPX what speeds in PFPX bit confused and away from my comp? Thanks i'll mess about with it later :)

But still a flight within the uk at fl410 is very high

Hey guys,

I thought I might be able to add a little insight to the cruise altuide idea, I am a RW CRJ dispatcher, I use a little rule of thumb when planning flights that are as short as the route that the poster was on, Im sure the 73 can do what a -700 or -900 can maybe a bit better, but I will take, after considering all the wx conditions, 10 precent of the distance as a starting point then adjust as needed. I also try to have the cruise leg be at least 10 mins in length, Ive seen some crews deviate from that as required and others follow it to the letter. Good Luck on your next flight.

Just look at the generated flight plan , in PFPX default template the speeds are five or six lines are under the captain sign section (above the ACT OFBL time area) .

TAXI     120 ........ 00:10
RELEASE 4402 ........ 01:41               I ACCEPT THIS OFP AND I AM FAMILIAR 
                                         WITH THE PLANNED ROUTE AND AERODROMES

FUEL TANK CAP 20820 KG / MAX EXTRA FUEL 2657 KG LIM BY LDW 
TRIP CORR FOR 1000 KG TOW INCR: +18 KG / 1000 KG TOW DECR: -18 KG 
2000 FT LOWER: +4 KG / EET 00:42 CLB: 250/280/78 DES: 78/280/250

LTAC/ESB STD 04:00 ETD 04:00 ACT OFBL ..... EST T/O 04:10 ACT T/O ..... 
LTFJ/SAW STA 05:05 ETA 04:56 ACT ONBL ..... EST LDG 04:51 ACT LDG .....

CLB : 250/280/78 DES: 78/280/250

Enter that speeds while programming the FMC for flight, you can do it anytime you wish . Best option is to enter them while the aircraft is on ground :)

Hey guys,

I thought I might be able to add a little insight to the cruise altuide idea, I am a RW CRJ dispatcher, I use a little rule of thumb when planning flights that are as short as the route that the poster was on, Im sure the 73 can do what a -700 or -900 can maybe a bit better, but I will take, after considering all the wx conditions, 10 precent of the distance as a starting point then adjust as needed. I also try to have the cruise leg be at least 10 mins in length, Ive seen some crews deviate from that as required and others follow it to the letter. Good Luck on your next flight.

I never dispatched a CRJ , so I do not know the performance of her ... But for Boeing NG's if you use your rule of thumb (which is good for General Aviation) you will burn more fuel and the plans you prepared will not be "economical" for the company :) [ This is the part of the dispatcher in companies economical success , $ per flight x monthly or yearly flight number will give idea of save or loss ]

250 nm = FL250 too low for a -800 but if you adjust it for aprx. 15 mins cruise time as you said , you will get a nice result according to Flight Planning and Performance Manual + QRH (which is a level between. FL330-FL350 )

Safe flights

Thanks alot going to do it tonight for the 737 NGX what will i download for PFPX is it the FMS?

There are separate files for the NGX and PFPX and any other add-ons that need an update. One purchase covers them all. They have a download manager that will identify all possible add-ons and download the right file for them. It's available free on the site and is the easiest way to update everything.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived