Copyright Protection

I like that Idea. You have gone up on my favored vendor list 10 fold.

I can't stand the hassle of some of the paranoia that comes with addons.

The only thing that this might hurt you is.. if someone puts one your products on a Peer to peer network of sorts.

Have you guys thought about that?

Well, anyway y'll can give this a try and if it comes and bites y'all, I am sure you would go back to locking up stuff and I certainly would understand and I would certainly thank you'l for the effort and thinking outside the box.

Manny

• Aerosoft
I like that Idea. You have gone up on my favored vendor list 10 fold.

I can't stand the hassle of some of the paranoia that comes with addons.

The only thing that this might hurt you is.. if someone puts one your products on a Peer to peer network of sorts.

Have you guys thought about that?

Well, anyway y'll can give this a try and if it comes and bites y'all, I am sure you would go back to locking up stuff and I certainly would understand and I would certainly thank you'l for the effort and thinking outside the box.

Manny

Yes, we know all the P2P networks and track them every day. We even send out fake filesunder names like 'Mega Airport Frankfurt, really works' and then you download a file that does, hey surprise, not work. But all this cost time and money, something customers are paying for in the end.

We like to get out of this cycle of fighting. There is no way you can win from pirates. We are going to spend more time on customers and less on pirates. There will always be rats that believe stealing software is okay.. well... I can only hope there income will depend on software sales one day, that would change their minds.

Hi Mathijs,

Well, I guess I'm not your "regular" customer in the correct sense of the term but I congratulate you to going back to old-school. I've seen a few security systems in my time and there are some that are too much of a hassle, both for the vendor and customer. This is especially true when installs are limited to one pc only, there are quarantines for re-installs, complicated activation/re-activation procedures etc. Let's just face it, there will always be ways to get around such things (I'm not saying give in to piracy!) and there will always be faithful paying customers that come back for more. Some customers are actually put off by complicated security systems, believe it or not. I like your approach.

Best

Well Mathijs has done his part and now it is up to us. So please, if any of you ever come across dubious downloads of Aerosoft files Email Mathijs and let him know. Its the least we can do to help in the fight against pirates. Remember these pirates aren't just stealing from the software developers. They are stealing money out of your pocket every time you buy a piece of software.

Guest Redhawk

Hello Mathjis

I could never complain about the old system or still the current one, it always worked fine to me,

compared to others which do not and did not.

To my opinion the current system is a well balanced one to the costumer, to the vender I cannot judge due to lack knowledge to that.

Seeing Aerosoft thinking about the honest costumer not to take the full blame of the piracy, which to opinion will never stop and is anyway impossible stop at all I am very happy seeing Aerosoft is taking good care of the costumer and keeping things simple and progress is done.

The idea of reducing the war aganints piracy, if I did understand that right and concentrating on the products is for sure the right way.

Facing the reality that there is piracy the process of purchase and activating needs to stay reasonable, not every costumer is a pro in everthing on the computer I am willing to pay an additional fee, for the fight on piracy, we cannot completly seeze the fire, lol, for about of one or two Euros on the product to still get fantastic products in the future.

The honest and true costumers will always purchase the product in the right way because for one reason, as an example, I like to show some respect on the wonderful products you people are doing so I pay the price correctly as you also do your living on that and I do not want to blame myself on stealing your bread, another one is, what is the best product without your excellent support.

I agree with both systems, the new ideas just make me stronger believing in Aerosoft as a very correct vender.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Hi!

Thank you for this step!! That was really a very unexpected and unconventionel change. Although your system seemed to be the only really working one in the FS-scene, I´ve nearly always waited for the boxed versions. I´ve made some not really nice experiences with some of your competitors and I mistrusted this online-system in general. In my opinion the best piracy protection is a high quality product for an affordable price and a good support by the vendor.

I´m Beta-testing software for a company which develops software in a rather high-price segment (one licence is essentially more expensive than for example Adobe packages) and every time a new version has been just released for the UK (just examples), the German version is on the way to the vendors and other country versions aren´t totally finished at that moment, you can find cracks for every version at least one week after the release of the first version. Well this kind of software is protected via dongle AND online registration.

I think it´s impossible to stop piracy by copy protection without handicaping the honest customer. The only way to keep customers buying these products or win new customers is the quality of the product and (even sometimes more important) a really good support.

And seeing this change, I´m thinking of upgrading my Seahawk without waiting for the box!

Thank you for this step, Aerosoft!! Count me in as new customer for your online shop

Cheers

Andi

We fully understand that we are going against the way the software industry is moving. But we are just not willing to spend more time and money fighting the people who are not our customers.
I must admit it was a bit suprising hearing this from you, as you've always fought for better protection of FS products. But when you put it like this it sounds very logical. Why spending more and more money on rats who aren't your customers and having your true customers pay for that? I think it's a very refeshing look on this problem and I truely hope it'll work for Aerosoft.

I like the way you go at things. You´re quite right, that no one will ever be able to stop piracy (except on if he gives out his stuff free....). I think most people who would pay for payware won´t get himself pirated stuff, people who can´t afford payware are in my opinion the people who get it that way, so the loss is quite low, I think. I´ve heard from one Payware creator, he said there were 20.000 pirated downloads of his product, and calculated the 20.000 downloads multiplicated with the price as his loss. I think 1000 downloaders maximally would have paid for it, if there would have been no way of getting it the other way.

Not that you understand me wrong, I can´t usually afford payware, but I wait for occasions like Screenshot contests or sth. like the Airport quizzes here. That is one thing which I really appreciate. I got my copy of SG2 that way (SimViation screenshot contest in March), and I really enjoy it.

All I wanted to say with all this, is that I really appreciate the direction you are going, as it may really give a certain advance to the customers, not putting it into an endless fight, that no one will ever win !

With that, it really gets Aerosoft a good Nr.1 position on the list of payware creators to look at, when I plan to give some money for FS-addons ! (But it won´t happen too often)

Mathijs, It is a pragmatic and appropriate decision. I have had many problems with installing programs I have purchased into a new computer, because the program protection system was tied to the IP address or other BIOS code of the specific machine. My previous PC is hors de combat, shuffled off this mortal coil, history, pushing up daiseys, extinct, disposed of, but the majority of vendors think I want to run the program on more than one machiine, therefore they errect serious barriers and want me to repurchase the add on.

I understand the breadth of piracy, I was recently on holiday in Moscow and saw all the software you could ever want for essentially free (100 roubles) at a number of venues, but I don't want to buy this stuff, I don't trust it nor do I wish to steal from the valid owner of the product. I don't think that piracy costs the owner of the intellectual property that much money as most of the pirates would have not bought the software anyway, but I cannot prove that. I do think you and others have every right to protect your intellectual property, just not with piled on hassel factors.

You guys have taken the right approach and I salute you.

GB

Hey Mathjis,

Just want to say you are being very trusting with what you guy's have decided to do I just hope that you dont have to go back to the old way Trust and honesty go along way in the world of software i hope you have luck with the way you will be doing business I am behind this 100%! I just hope they all get bored and just walk away from piracey.

Richard :D

Hello Mathjis:

Do you (Aerosoft) really know which is the real magnitude and impact of this so called "piracy"?

I´m a fun of your products since fs2k (you have my record and history of orders and you´ll realize that I bought almost all of your products)

After noticing (through this forum) about the current systems of getting outsiders copies (I won´t awake anybody else with names) I must confess that I was trying some of them just to see what is real or not in this topic, and...: its horrible!, is the worst way of getting "payware" software as "freeware", the quality of the end product obtained by this way is absolutely low (even compared with so nice freeware products available all around the world)

If you install one of this copies, what you get is something more closer to a "try before buy" software than a final end product. The most of them are just "ripped" files, not recognized as installed for any of your patchs or upgrades (unless you are lucky to find and wait for somebody willing to share them)

In fact, I found many text files from "users" begging for somebody willing to share "the patch", the " the next version" or even some "support"!! (of course with no results, how many customers wants to share for free, something that they already payed?!).

"No support", "no upgrades", "no safety", "dependency in who knows what" because there is nobody behind the scenes attending the customers.

I think that "support" is the 50% of any product, "upgrades" are other capital part, "safety" is the most important (and this files are usually mixed with viruses, troyans and any kind of diseases)

What I mean...some guys can be happy with the half of a final product, but this guys only will accept this for free, they are not in the "customer" profile. They won´t pay even for a stolen copy (I didn´t make a deep search, but you can´t find "resellers" of stolen products as much as those "free" available copies of this or movies)

Then: congratulations for your decission, it rest importance to this "pirates". In reality this title is too much for them, perhaps they are nothing more than teenagers who wants to demonstrate his computer abilities "winning" the big guys (while in fact they are not an organized gang to be worry)

Nothing to add regard the legal risk and ethical aspects, I think you said all.

On the other hand...I must congratulate u2 for your victory in Berlin. A shame for my country but at least, we left the cup with honour.

Good luck with Jurgen, good luck Germany!

Mario

• Aerosoft
Hello Mathjis:

Do you (Aerosoft) really know which is the real magnitude and impact of this so called "piracy"?

Mario

Or course this is always a very difficult issue, but there are good indications we can use. Many piracy sites publish the number of downloads so we have some idea how many copies are beying shared and then we can use standard numbers (coming from several studies) about how many of these downloads would come instead of a actual purchase.

More directly we trace WHEN these files hit the P2P sites and see how that affects the sales data. Selling online gives the great advantage of being able to see every sale in real time. When we see a sudden drop in sales shortly after the files hit the P2P site I am confident we can relate these two issues.

So yes, I believe we have a good idea on how it hurts us. It is serious.

Incredible Mathjis, thanks for your explanation.

But again, I hope that with your quality, service and level of control, you´ll be good.

Cheers

Mario

I'm sad that the pirates are winning and I'm also sad to see the online activation system vanish as I never experienced a problem with your installation procedure. Even if I exceeded my downloads (I install and uninstall a lot!) it was a piece of cake to reset the system. But I do understand your quandary.

Mathijs,

This is welcome news and I just want to say thanks for your commitment to excellent customer service. The dilemma faced by software producers is no doubt a difficult one, but your efforts to keep a reasonable level of "user friendliness" in place is very appreciated.

While measures to safeguard against piracy are understandable, an increasing number of vendors appear to be doing more damage to their own business than pirates ever could. I can think of at least one well-known vendor that I would love to give more business to, because they offer reasonably priced FS aircraft that are outstanding in every respect. However, I found their installation process and customer support so heinous that I will probably never buy from them again. It was obvious they were more interested in fighting pirates than keeping customers.

Hopefully you will find your approach having the opposite effect. I have purchased eight Aerosoft products for FS9. Without exception, each was delivered without hassle, and the quality was as good or better than expected. As a result, you have gained a loyal customer. It is refreshing to see a company take positive steps to improve service, or in your case to make a great service even better! Thanks.

Wayne

I can think of at least one well-known vendor that I would love to give more business to, because they offer reasonably priced FS aircraft that are outstanding in every respect. However, I found their installation process and customer support so heinous that I will probably never buy from them again. It was obvious they were more interested in fighting pirates than keeping customers.

Hmmm I wonder who that could be :)

I personally am looking forward to testing the new system when..

A: Dornier comes out

B: Cheyenne comes out

C: Scenery Germany 4 gets moved over to the new system and the UT Europe patch becomes available.

Paul.

• Aerosoft
Mathijs,

This is welcome news and I just want to say thanks for your commitment to excellent customer service. The dilemma faced by software producers is no doubt a difficult one, but your efforts to keep a reasonable level of "user friendliness" in place is very appreciated.

While measures to safeguard against piracy are understandable, an increasing number of vendors appear to be doing more damage to their own business than pirates ever could. I can think of at least one well-known vendor that I would love to give more business to, because they offer reasonably priced FS aircraft that are outstanding in every respect. However, I found their installation process and customer support so heinous that I will probably never buy from them again. It was obvious they were more interested in fighting pirates than keeping customers.

Hopefully you will find your approach having the opposite effect. I have purchased eight Aerosoft products for FS9. Without exception, each was delivered without hassle, and the quality was as good or better than expected. As a result, you have gained a loyal customer. It is refreshing to see a company take positive steps to improve service, or in your case to make a great service even better! Thanks.

Wayne

I believe the step that we took is working out well so far. Certainly the comments are okay and we see no drop in sales. Although there are pirated copies around, I noticed for some reason the quality of the latest ones is very bad (pirates normally are not very clever or they would have the money to buy software, lol).

But the step we took is one we could do with some confidence. We HAVE the customer base and we can depend on them to be loyal and honest. They provide our bread and butter. If you are a startup things could be very different. One product and seeing it hacked in the normal way (with missing files etc) costs you money and reputation. People always underestimate how a bad rip of software makes your company seem unable to protect and unable to CREATE good software.

• 4 weeks later...

I defintely agree with this relaxation.

With my new system, I'm finding it to be VERY TIRING not only putting in my purchase order number, but also my login in and password just to re-install my Aerosoft products... :(