Night Environment UK - base textures not showing in LOD radius

Kevin Firth

Love the lighting its very good, if a bit hard on frames... [EDIT: The hard on frames appears to have been my fault not the scenery - deactivating GenX night textures helped a lot]
I seem to have a little issue with the base lighting not showing within the set LOD radius, as per the pic below..have I done something stupid? :P

post-62512-0-85653400-1397827494_thumb.j

It's just north of Liverpool EGGP (my home base) you can see it on the far left. The scenery active there is GenerationX, UK2000 EGGP, my own extended photoreal base and scenery around EGGP (which makes no difference whether active or not).

EDIT: the same effect is seen everwhere I flew (and slew) over GenX

i run night textures to LOD13
I’ve rarely seen a small area that has a default night texture higher than LOD13 and it comes over NE textures (LOD13 is default LOD for night textures)
for those tiny; and i am talking a single tiles or small group at most; didn’t want to render to higher lod as this increases the size significantly

i can and have done this before; but prefer not to overload the file size
i may be able to release a HIGH LOD texture fix for the specific area

I just slewed a few miles away to the northeast and took this shot from an overhead view so you can see the prob clearly. It is not specific to a localised area or scenery. Cheers k

post-62512-0-69553700-1397830542_thumb.j

Thank you Kevin

from examining the last image; it definitely looks like a single night tile from another scenery

i don’t believe i will see it here; but let me check first

..and another example of the same problem over central Manchester...only scenery active in those areas is bog standard GenX... :s

I can replicate this anywhere over the UK, so it's not one single tile. Cheers K

post-62512-0-72260400-1397830824_thumb.j

On the one hand I sincerely hope it's a problem with my FSX installation because that would mean you don't have a problem, on the other hand, I really don't because I don't fancy reinstalling FSX and every add-on again! :P

EDIT: Just to be sure I disabled every scenery entry in the scenery library apart from default, GenX and NE entries - The issues as highlighted in the screenshots are unchanged. :(

this doesn’t look like a big deal

don’t stress over this; you will be flying happy shortly

if you look close; in the last pic you posted

you can see the lines actually correct with the scenery above it

where is NE located on your scenery list?

lastly; can you tell which scenery you need to deactivate to only see NE textures?

You are correct, the lights themselves do show within the LOD radius, it is the base textures, (the light splash on the ground), that doesn't show under the aircraft. NE is in the default position in the scenery list, (at the top).

The only scenery running in those last two shots was GenX and NE, so there is nothing I can deactivate any more? :s

Thanks Kevin; ill look further into this

if it is PR that follows conventional guidelines; we may be in better shape than you think

usually the night texture for PR is done separately,

most add lm to the tile name; some call it straight up night texture

those bgl’s can easily deactivated; simply add .bak at the end of the file name

A standard install of a generation X product puts the night textures in a separate folder, with its own scenery library entry.

I deactivated volume 3 night scenery and now your base 'splash' layer is fully visible. (this is just south of previous location - Manchester airport visible at bottom)

It does lose some considerable ground detail though at close range, that you would see in normal moonlight?

I'll test it at dawn and dusk as well - if night textures have to be deactivated for NE to work fully will there be some undesirable effects at those times?

EDIT: also you should be aware that many people modify their GenerationX installation to an 'all-in-one' type, so that they have far fewer scenery library entries to deal with. In those cases, it may not be so easy for users to deactivate only their night scenery.

Cheers K

post-62512-0-69845600-1397833064_thumb.j

Kevin, from quick investigation

GenX night textures are separate files from the PR itself

you should be able to un tick night textures option during GenX installation

this will allow only NE night texture to be active without interfering

i don think you need to manually deactivate the files

Think our posts crossed there :) (twice!)
Thanks for your very quick and helpful replies - 10/10 for customer service :D

Worth noting as well for anyone else reading that deactivating the GenX night scenery and not trying to run both at the same time increased the framerate quite considerably.

Archived