Airbus X Autothrottle/Autothrust

Joe Flyer

Hi.

I recently purchased the Airbus X Extended, and I must say, I REALLY love it - don't get me wrong. Great detail, complex systems, and realistic 'feel.' After programming the FMC, I took off, and once passing transition altitude, throttled up to about 280/290 KIAS. Here's where something isn't quite right.

I don't know if it's just me and something I'm doing incorrectly (because it doesn't seem like an issue others are having), but when I try to accelerate to cruising speed [at cruise level], the speed marker on the terrain display jumps to the speed I assigned, then returns back to the current speed, subsequently have no affect on the general speed of the aircraft. I tried changing speed multiple ways. First, while ATHR was on and autopilot engaged, I put the speed higher. When that failed me, I disengaged auto throttle, changed the speed, then reengaged it. Still nothing. Then, I disengaged ATHR, and autopilot, changed the speed, then reactivated everything. I kept coming up short of what I was trying to accomplish. SO my question is:

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or a corrupted file on my computer, or heck, a bug with the autopilot systems? (both similar).

PS: I'm kind of new to the Airbus's complex systems, and after researching, I couldn't quite find a fix.

Thanks.

Joe Flyer

Wow. Quick response (I guess I picked the right place).

Anyway, by method, are you asking whether I do it manually or by using the knob?

(By using the knob)

OR

Do you mean something else that I'm not quite getting?

Thanks.

No, I mean if you select something in the MCDU or if you use the knob on the MCP.

If you use the MCP knob you would of cause have to leave it in SELECTED (pulled out) mode and do NOT turn it back to MANAGED to avoid the computer taking control over your speed again.

Like I said, I'm new to this and still learning, so please cope with me if I give answers that don't really seem logical. Either way, this auto throttle thing occurs anytime at parts of the flight where speed needs to be changed, NOT necessarily when climbing. Sorry if I was unclear or am still unclear.

Alright. Her we go. Don't mind my position on the runway.

From left to right are #'s 1, 2, 3.

1.) Speed is set to default (I think) speed, a 100 KIAS.

2.) When disabling auto throttle, I set speed to 250 KIAS, and to the left, it can be seen that is recognized.

3.) When left clicking, the displayed speed on the autopilot panel shows 250, while to the left of the picture, it is again shown as 100, and the plane follows the '100' speed.

Keep in mind that with different numbers in the air, the same situation happens.

Is this something that can be fixed in the FMC?

Thanks.

post-106672-0-40363000-1396984900_thumb.

post-106672-0-32460600-1396984924_thumb.

post-106672-0-98398000-1396984935_thumb.

Do you push (left click) the Speed knob again after you dial the speed in? If you do this then this is the mistake. In your 3rd picture you can see that there is a dot shown next to the speed. This means that it is in Managed mode and soon the numbers shown will change back to --- again.

Sometimes I do push the knob another time, sometimes I don't. Either way, the speed seems to stay the same. Also, can you explain a little more what you mean? Shouldn't it switch to --- ?

Alright. Let me put it this way. I'm no A320 pilot and won't be anytime soon. I'm just asking what I'm doing wrong. Also, there was no flightplan at the time when the pictures were taken, as it was impromptu. However, this does seem to occur while flightplans are active. Must be some error by me. But please keep in mind the notion I'm new to this plane and I am not even finished learning all the affiliated systems. This specific action, much like in Boeing aircraft, seemed like something that can be done with no issues... just change the speed while auto throttle was still activated. It just wasn't clear why the speed couldn't be changed as so.

Just looking for some pointers in plain English.

Thanks.

Think I figured out what I was doing wrong, thanks to YouTube, and of course some more test flights.

:)

Thank you guys so much for you're cooperation and quick answers... I'm really amazed by how quick the Aerosoft community responded, so I appreciate it.

If anybody has any questions, please just contact me.

Thanks again.

Hi Joe

I am pleased to sorted out you problem. I note you tried to equate Boeings you may have flown with Airbus. That is probably a false assumption as many professional airline pilots have found. Airbus is a computer with wings with many new concepts whereas Boeing claims that it behaves any old aircraft behaves.

With all the controls on the FCU there are 2 basic modes: managed (push the knob - left click on ABX) and set (pull - right click). The managed mode is linked to your flight plan or the system defaults, hence the 250kts airspeed - the default below about FL200. The set mode uses those settings input by the pilot.

Precisely. Also, I wasn't used to the whole "Set the throttle to climb" thing, for Boeings, well. the throttles move by themselves on Auto Throttle. But, to all you newbies out there that don't really know how to customize the Airbus X auto throttle speed, read the following:

1.) On the throttle quadrant, the are letters next to the levers that are painted on. When you have taken off, move the throttles back two notches. In other words, move the throttle from TOGA (takeoff) to FLX MCT, to CL (climb).

2.) Once you have done this, turn on autopilot, then auto thrust, then right click on the Auto Throttle knob.

3.) On the artificial terrain display in front of you (sorry if I got the name wrong), the sideways triangle that marks your set speed should turn blue. Now go back to the autopilot panel and change the speed using the knob (put mouse over knob, then scroll up or down using the wheel thingy on the mouse).

4.) At this point, you will notice that Auto Throttle is following your custom speed.

NOTE:

- Do NOT move the throttle levers while Auto Throttle is active. Moving them to idle will cause it to disengage.

- Be sure the thrust levers are in line with CL on the throttle quadrant.

Your good to go as long as the FMC is programed.

Happy flying!

Archived