I am just curious because I set up a flight in PFPX from KTPA to KMCI and it chose 19R as the runway for departure and arrival. FSX ATC when I did my flight gave me runway 1R. Is this usual or is there a better way for me to determine which runway to fly out of?

The wind could have changed direction between the time you ran PFPX and your actual takeoff time. And it takes only a change of one degree to cause FSX ATC to change runways. 1L-19R is 007 and 187 magnectic heading. Say the wind is coming from the east at 10 knots. 097/10 will use 1L. 098/10 will use 19R. It is highly unrealistic that an airport is going to change runways for one degree but FSX ATC does not provide tailwind landings or takeoffs. Just be thankfull runway 10/28 is not in the mix.

Michael Cubine

Several factors Joshua including current wind direction (METAR) and trend (TAF) taking in to account local airport policy and noise abatement which may be obtained from the AIP.

It is not always necessary to take off in to a headwind provided you are within the published tailwind component.

Some VATSIM VACC's publish data for the runways. Also FlightRadar24 can give an indication of current real-world ops.

As always pilots responsibility to request an alternative if performance is an issue.

Example from VATSIM Germany for Frankfurt:

Runway 25R/L is preferred for landings with a tailwind component of up to 5kts.

Otherwise, runway 07R/L will be used. Runway 18 and 25C/07C for departure only.

25C and 07C are used for North Departures, UK, USA/Canada (NOT London TMA).

Runway 18 is used for West/South/East (London TMA)

Stephen

I agree with everything you have pointed out but the OP was wrting about FSX ATC not VATSIM and the flexibilty they show in runway selection. Runway 07 at EDDF has a heading of 068. If the wind is 68/5 FSX ATC will use 07L or 07R. Notice that I don't take into account the third NE/SW runway because FSX ATC doesn't even know it exits. Unless the tailwind is greater than the limits of the plane I always use 25C for departure since I am heading to the NW and then across the North Altantic to the U.S.

Michael Cubine

Archived