Dublin OOM errors

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be some thing wrong than with your set up than, if the standard fsx Cessna gives you a oom than or you got a duplicate airport , have to agree with Oliver post above

Could someone please explain to me what makes Dublin such a VAS-hungry airport? It's physically smaller than Heathrow, Schiphol and Frankfurt but is hungrier than all of them.

Slewing upwards and looking around it's not obvious what consumes so much memory. I haven't encountered any OOMs but VAS does take quite a hit.

Higher graphical fidelity equals more memory use equals a heavy VAS load.

Doesn't answer my question. What specifically should I be looking at to see this 'higher graphical fidelity'? It's not obvious.

Have a look at old addons like Frankfurt, Schiphol, Heathrow, Paris-CDG and compare that to a high-end scenery like Dublin, Istanbul-Atatürk, Thessaloniki, Washington Dulles, etc. The graphical difference between 2008-2010 era developments and the 2013-2014 generation of products should be fairly obvious. Polygons & textures, that's about it. That is the sole reason why we perform at the limits of the sim.

I remember a time when we we're struggling to get decent FPS with FSX, but we have now arrived at a point where we struggule with the VAS limits of the sim.

Of those you list I have Dulles but as that is a far larger airport than Dublin I'd expect to get a big VAS hit there especially with more Ai. But (from memory) it doesn't seem too bad. For such a small airport Dublin seems hungry.

If I start to get OOMs I'll disable some of the options. Hopefully that won't be necessary but I think it's also important that developers are mindful that customers also have high-end aircraft and the combination seems to be causing problems. The scenery people blame the high-end aircraft and the aircraft people blame the scenery people. They can't both be at the top of the tree so the customer has to try and accommodate them. Hence why so many people have had problems perhaps.

Yes, fps are much better now we have the hardware but no amount of hardware can do anything about that 4Gb VAS limit. :(

There is indeed some friction between aircraft and scenery developers. When PMDG released the NGX, it looked like roughly 800mb of VAS was the highest amount for an high-end aircraft. Scenery developers started to design their products with this is mind. However, when PMDG released the 777, the VAS usage increased compared to the NGX.

I don't own Dublin so I can only judge the situation from the sideline. I also don't know if the same level of design technique optimizations (drawcalls, LOD levels, texture sheets, polygon conservation) that Mir (FlightBeam) , Ceasar (Taxi2Gate) and Emilios (FSDG) use, are present in Mega Airport Dublin.
Maybe one of the developers can comment on this?

Yeah I hope the address the OOM issue with the next update. I get only 750-900MB free VAS when I land with the PMDG NGX using DXT5 1024*1024 REX textures and real weather with only two planes around me! LOD 4.5 and 1024*1024 is set inside the FSX.cfg... When I start from this airport I get 1GB free VAS

I was getting OOM errors constantly on it every time I loaded up in a half decent aircraft. I messed around with the config and by changing the MAX_TEXTURE_LOAD to 512 it seems to have worked.. haven't got one yet

Nice one, Mathijs.....and thanks to Otto for pointing out that version 1.10 has been released :) By the way, how has the developer reduced the VAS load by 150MB? Has anything been removed, or is this just some clever code alterations?

• Deputy Sheriffs

By the way, how has the developer reduced the VAS load by 150MB? Has anything been removed, or is this just some clever code alterations?

They broke down some buildings, closed a runway and didn't allow any traffic. ;)

Sorry, just kidding. Code optimizing.

• Aerosoft

They broke down some buildings, closed a runway and didn't allow any traffic. ;)

Sorry, just kidding. Code optimizing.

Indeed there were errors that have been fixed and there have been tweaks done. The impact on what you see should be minimal.

Hi

I don´t have the scenery but I believe that with my FSX settings I would have OOMs as well. Let´s suppose that this is true. The thing that I don´t really understand is why a developer makes a scenery that can not be run in any computer... Yes, I have one of the best processors and graphic cards for FS that exist at the moment. It´s strange, because if I can not run the scenery, maybe 95 % of the people can not run it as well...

harpsi

• Aerosoft

Hi

I don´t have the scenery but I believe that with my FSX settings I would have OOMs as well. Let´s suppose that this is true. The thing that I don´t really understand is why a developer makes a scenery that can not be run in any computer... Yes, I have one of the best processors and graphic cards for FS that exist at the moment. It´s strange, because if I can not run the scenery, maybe 95 % of the people can not run it as well...

harpsi

Well if 95% of people would not be able to run this and knowing we sold a few thousand, don't you think this forum would look very different? While heavy on memory (yes even in the 1.10 version), on the vast majority of machines this will run just fine. For machines that are very low on VAS there are options to lower the memory demand.

And of course your fine CPU and GPU have nothing to do with memory use, That has only to do with the memory available to FSX and what's loaded in FSX. I feel your comments on a product you do not even own, have never tried and for which you clearly do not understand the limitation of, are not acceptable.

Well if 95% of people would not be able to run this and knowing we sold a few thousand, don't you think this forum would look very different? While heavy on memory (yes even in the 1.10 version), on the vast majority of machines this will run just fine. For machines that are very low on VAS there are options to lower the memory demand.

And of course your fine CPU and GPU have nothing to do with memory use, That has only to do with the memory available to FSX and what's loaded in FSX. I feel your comments on a product you do not even own, have never tried and for which you clearly do not understand the limitation of, are not acceptable.

I am just seeing what is happening concerning complains... I don´t fly in Ireland, but I was considering to buy this scenery because it looks fantastic. But a fantastic look doesn´t mean 30 FPS and no OOMs as well. Seeing all those complains... hmmm, I don´t know...

About memory I have also 8 GB RAM and a fast memory as well. Of course I want to use the scenery with PMDG, ORBX FTX Global, REX and all the stuff together. To use the scenery alone that is of course possible, but it looks worse, sorry. I use all the stuff together with other addons and no OOMs. That´s the point.

harpsi

Archived