Dublin OOM errors

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I am surprised that anyone can run FSX with high detail settings, super detailed payware planes and airports, significant numbers of AI planes, and real world weather without experiencing OOMs. It can be done if you do what I do most of the time (simple taxi/take off/turn downwind/land/taxi test flights), but flying from one super detailed location to another is just asking for trouble on my PC!

No, it not. It only requires some common sense when it comes to your FSX setup. FSX is in it's prime now: we know it through and through, we can handle its limitations and it has never run more stable. But it takes some effort from the user, who is at fault when FSX is causing problems.

Well if any aircraft can generate an OOM it's the PMDG 777.

I ran a flight from EGLL (Uk2000 v3) to EIDW (Aerosoft) with no OOM or flashing artifacts.

Of course,with the 777 DX10 is becoming mandatory when using any addon scenery.

• Aerosoft

It can be done all depends on your pc set up I guess that's why iam lucky havnt had one and havnt had any issues with any addons at all

Well assuming you got a 64 bit OS and 6 Gb of memory, the PC and the OS should not really impact the available memory to FS. It's really what FSX loads that counts.

No, it's not. It only requires some common sense when it comes to your FSX setup. FSX is in it's prime now: we know it through and through, we can handle its limitations and it has never run more stable. But it takes some effort from the user, who is at fault when FSX is causing problems.

You keep saying this, but if you can run FSX with super detailed payware addons here there and everywhere, plus real world weather, huge numbers of AI planes, and detail settings at maximum without suffering OOMs, then it is more to do with your PC than with your FSX settings. I firmly believe that different PCs handle the VAS differently. I don't know why this is the case, but that is what I suspect.

I would be interested to know what you mean by "common sense with your FSX setup". Please elaborate.

Yes, but look at the post he responded to. I was stating that I am surprised that anyone can run FSX in super-high-detail-o-vision without suffering OOMs, but he seems to be denying this, and saying that OOMs are due to "user error". I need to know exactly what he means.

Think that he has worded it wrong, that he thinks that you got your fsx settings on all at max and expect to get no ooms. In my case in my fsx settings I got my fsx settings at 3/4s setting and I got ut2 at 100 percent and using asn and using rex4( and iam not having any ooms) . so unless you find what fsx setting that suits your pc and what fsx.cfx tweaks that suits your pc. On a side note since your having issues have you tried deleting your fsx.cfg and let fsx build it again to see how it performs that's what I did long time ago ( save your original fsx.cfg just in case you want to revert back again)

I am not concerned with OOMs at the moment, simply because I am enjoying those simple little test flights that I mentioned so much. Part of the enjoyment I get from FSX is seeing lots of AI planes active at the large airports, and these short "test" flights at different times of the day and different days of the week enable me to see these planes in action on a regular basis (as opposed to spending 8 hours on my own cruising at 35000 feet) :) When I decide that I want to go on a cross country jaunt, I will be looking more closely at my settings.

I could do, but the PMDG 737NGX is so much more interesting to hand fly than a GA plane. I love the feeling of weight, the sound of the thrust reversers after touchdown, and being able to park at one of the gates without looking ridiculous ;)

Sure, I will elaborate on my statement. Some years ago when we were struggling to run FSX with enough FPS, Mathijs wrote a guide on 'how to run FSX with 50 fps'. Although this guide is outdated now, the main philosophy behind is is still valid.

NOTE: This applies to OOM's in general, it is not related to MAP Dublin in specific.

First some background about my FSX setup (only the items that impact performance, fidelity and VAS use):

• FSX with SP2, in classic DX9 mode.
  • Highmemfix tweak
  • Buffer Pools disabled
  • AffinityMask=14 tweak
  • 2048 textures enabled
  • 8xS combined AA, 16x AF
  • Autogen: Normal
  • LOD radius: Medium
  • Mesh complexity: 80%
  • Mesh resolution: 1m
  • Texture resolution: 15cm
  • Water effect: Low 2.x
  • Scenery Complexity: Very dense
  • Windows 7 x64, 8GB of RAM

Addons:

• REX Essential Overdrive
  • FSGlobal 2010 Mesh
  • FTX Global+Vector
  • OpusFSX Weather
  • NL2000 photo-scenery
  • AES & GSX
  • PMDG 737NGX
  • IVAO MTL traffic
  • Ezdok Camera Addon
  • Several high-end & demanding airport scenery's

Why like this?
Well, you should always look for a balance between visual fidelity and performance (FPS & VAS). There is no need for detailed mesh when you're not in a mountainous area. Water effect on Low 2.x is more than enough when you're not in the tropics. You have to take factors like that into consideration, you have to find the balance and respect the limitations. In my opinion you should stay away from DX10, heavy Autogen, ultra high resolution textures and the buggy shadows.

With this setup, the highest I have ever seen my VAS go is 3,7GB. Most of the time it maxes out at 2,9GB which leaves enough room for more scenery, more detailed aircraft and even a bunch of AI traffic. Right now I can enjoy FSX without OOM's, great performance & detailed graphics. (I haven't used the PMDG 777 yet, but that should not a problem with my current setup)

Besides what I mentioned, there are a few other tips & tricks that I will list (some have been mentioned already):

1. Lower the Level or Detail Radius and limit the maximum viability to 10-15km with an 3rd party weather engine. It's rare to have endless visibility in real life, so why not limit it in the sim in order to relief it of some of the 'far-away render load'.
  2. Deactivate everything that is not active in the area you plan to fly. For example, I will only active my departure airport & arrival airport in the scenery library. Every scenery that is not in use, should be deactivated. SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.2 is a great tool for this kind of work.
  3. There is no need for 4096x4096 textures, you will not notice the difference between 2048 & 4096. In some cases even 1024 can be enough.
  4. Keep the simulator as clean as possible, everything you add can seen as a 'contamination'. Limit the amount of tweaks, .dll modules, aircraft paints, etc.

That is my summery of 'common sense' when it comes to setting up FSX. It's all about balance, compromise, maintenance, respect for the limitations and situation-depended adjustments.

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I can see now that you were not referring to running FSX at maximum detail settings. In fact, I may well try those settings myself in a series of test flights between separate airports, to see how much of a difference it makes to the VAS. I regularly disable lots of scenery areas that are not required, but I have not generally disabled the various photoscenery areas that I do not need. I have been told that this can affect the VAS quite a bit, so I will test that aswell.

For the record, I use the following settings in the fsx.cfg.....

HighMemFix=1

AffinityMask=14

Texture size is limited to 1024x1024

LOD radius is set to 4.5

• Aerosoft

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I can see now that you were not referring to running FSX at maximum detail settings. In fact, I may well try those settings myself in a series of test flights between separate airports, to see how much of a difference it makes to the VAS. I regularly disable lots of scenery areas that are not required, but I have not generally disabled the various photoscenery areas that I do not need. I have been told that this can affect the VAS quite a bit, so I will test that aswell.

For the record, I use the following settings in the fsx.cfg.....

HighMemFix=1

AffinityMask=14

Texture size is limited to 1024x1024

LOD radius is set to 4.5

And you have absolute proof that the affinity mask does not LOWER fps on your system just as it does on mine? It's one of those tweaks I see used a lot but that I have never seen proved. My own experiences are that it make cpu scheduling for Windows hard and that the moment a background process needs CPU power it creates a dip in fps (stutters). I also notice that VAS increases at that moment (I think because tasks have to be moved between cores.

I had the OOM warning bell going off just now, after flying into EIDW in the Majestic Q400 from EGHI. Never actually OOM'd though.

No OOM issues on flights originating at EIDW.

For all the lucky people with no OOM issues at all, I wonder if they have tried flying into EIDW from somewhere else in a demanding plane like NGX etc, without issues.....

The other night I flew online vatsim EIDW-EGCC(UK2000), EGCC-EIDW in the Airbus X with FSGRW for weather with ultimate terrain europe with Nextmap europe 10m mesh without re-loading the sim for the turn-around and VAS was running at around 3-3.2GB no OOM but it was close.

For all the lucky people with no OOM issues at all, I wonder if they have tried flying into EIDW from somewhere else in a demanding plane like NGX etc, without issues.....

Yes, I just flew from OMDB to EIDW with the PMDG 777

Both payware sceneries

I had the OOM warning bell going off just now, after flying into EIDW in the Majestic Q400 from EGHI. Never actually OOM'd though.

Gentleman I noticed several things which went wrong on my local system regarding the latest update...

Which can mess things up very ugly to begin with ;-)

In general always Install as admin or choose run as admin ;-)

Tip 1:) Make sure to de-install the complete scenery (check the folder is removed from your FSX Aerosoft directory)

Tip 2:) Install first Dublin complete installer 1.01 watch carefully about the questions asked about FTX ORBX IRL / texture size 1024 / Disable Flags.

Tip 3:) Choose all options in case you don't have ORBX IRL choose at least the other two, very important choice for everyone ;-)

Tip 4:) After installation run the update 1.02

Tip 5:) Run now the config tool and choose your preferred options... (high or low textures etc...)

Why? there is some mix-up in the files installed between high and low with odd results if you follow this sequence everything will be installed correctly.

As for the OOM guys disable 3d grass / high res textures / Flags / and at least airside AES traffic(frame rate hog too ;-))

Test and report back hope it's helpful guys...

Aerosoft should have a look at there installers because error routine isn´t the brightest here lol

Further the AFCAD supplied is with errors already corrected and adjusted so if you want to have one sent a PM.

Hope it's helpful,

Forgot to say again thank you for a wonderful scenery and all the hard work involved the detail is amazing :-)

André

• Aerosoft

Sure they have. It is a standard in our beta tests. But of course if you fly INTO a scenery with low VAS, is it reasonable to blame the scenery?

• Aerosoft

The other night I flew online vatsim EIDW-EGCC(UK2000), EGCC-EIDW in the Airbus X with FSGRW for weather with ultimate terrain europe with Nextmap europe 10m mesh without re-loading the sim for the turn-around and VAS was running at around 3-3.2GB no OOM but it was close.

With that loaded you were lucky.

Sure they have. It is a standard in our beta tests. But of course if you fly INTO a scenery with low VAS, is it reasonable to blame the scenery?

Depends on if the scenery uses more than should be reasonably expected, based on comparisons to other sceneries of similar footprint and complexity.

Archived