New forum structure

The worst change that could have happened on the forums.

It is simply not just very bad, but abysmal.

Previously, any user could just glance momentarily at the top page and see where and if there was something new in a subsection that was interesting to read.

Now, 15 clicks and 15 browser tabs opened, 5 sub-levels down, just to see whether he finds something that he wants to read.

And the excuse for all of this -> less scrolling for mobile devices.

1. Since when mobile devices take precedence over a desktop system? The products that this forum supports run on desktop systems, and not on mobile devices.

2. There are many other ways that much less scrolling can be obtained without this abysmal multi-level structure. Use much better forum software, that gives the option to a user to hide (or unhide) at will (and keep the preference via cookies) any top sub-level forum. One such example of software, is VBulletin.

Addition:

I just saw that 2 is supported by your forum software but the widget is only visible when a user moves the cursor within a sub-forum titlebar. Very poor forum software design.

But anyway, the function exists.

So there was no need to change the forum structure, for "less scrolling for mobile devices".

• Aerosoft

15 clicks? 15 browser windows open? Are you sure we are talking about the same forum here? See the deepest level can be reached in 2 clicks (sometimes three) and without opening any additional window. Just try it.

Or let me show you. Say you got a problem about the Airbus Extended navigation systems. That the deepest sublevel of the forum.

post-43-0-19620200-1394183238_thumb.jpg

First click (select simulator type)

post-43-0-80854800-1394183309_thumb.jpg

Second click (select product, in 90% of the forums this is the deepest)

post-43-0-46501400-1394183384_thumb.jpg

Third click (select the subtopic of the product)

And all in the same browser window. And indeed that needs one more click then before.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The worst change that could have happened on the forums.

It takes time to get used to changes in life and on the forums. Just give it some time and you will get used to it

It takes time to get used to changes in life and on the forums. Just give it some time and you will get used to it

that's what I said about the KLM e190 ;) but you're right, you just have to get used to it!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Previously, any user could just glance momentarily at the top page and see where and if there was something new in a subsection that was interesting to read.

I think you are talking about a different forum:

You still can get this.

Either you could just klick on "View new content"

post-12207-0-99997800-1394186332.jpg

and then choose from the panel to the left

post-12207-0-55075000-1394186424_thumb.j

Or you configure the section "Recent Toipcs" as you like it:

post-12207-0-59672900-1394186507_thumb.j

Then you can choose how much entries you want to see and you can even block forums/subforums you are not interested in:

post-12207-0-79238000-1394186586_thumb.j

• Deputy Sheriffs

Heck even I did not know that, lol.

lol, that's what you get when you run a forum, the hidden features for the users aren't always known to those that run a forum

Archived