Only fictional routes?

Planes are coming in from strenge, fictional routes. A British Airways-flight is coming from Germany to land at Amsterdam Schiphol. Very unrealistic. Will it be possible to use real routes and timesheets in future versions?

You could maybe try to make it possible to import FSX ai timetables, or keep it random but making it possible for us users to customize each airport our self with the possibility to upload the files just like the current scheme with airlines and aircraft. :)

• Aerosoft

But say your favorite airport is Bergerac in France and you want to have realistic traffic there today. That would mean you have one departure around 09:00 (to Paris), one arrival from London around noon that departs half an hour later. And then the flight from Paris will arrive around 20:00. Now that is 100% realistic, but utterly uninteresting. With real traffic 90% of all the airports are useless, you would never use them.

Now I think of it, it could be a community project as data source. The only thing you need to know is what ICAO code should enter the airspace or leave it at what FIX. See it like this, when there is a file defining the entry/icao combination, this can be used for those companies. When there is a plane arriving that is not named in the combination file, it will enter at randomly chosen STAR/SID routes. This way, a BA arriving at EHAM could be defined as only enter at, SUGOL STARs, and some new not known company can arrive at all STARs.

• Aerosoft

Now I think of it, it could be a community project as data source. The only thing you need to know is what ICAO code should enter the airspace or leave it at what FIX. See it like this, when there is a file defining the entry/icao combination, this can be used for those companies. When there is a plane arriving that is not named in the combination file, it will enter at randomly chosen STAR/SID routes. This way, a BA arriving at EHAM could be defined as only enter at, SUGOL STARs, and some new not known company can arrive at all STARs.

But why could a BA not come from other directions? I used BA flights from Scandinavia to Amsterdam a lot.

But why could a BA not come from other directions? I used BA flights from Scandinavia to Amsterdam a lot.

Was probably Sun-Air then? For ATC that flight would have been seen as SUS not BAW, even if your ticket said BA.

I'm not sure that I understand where this debate is going.

Any attempt to create real traffic movements would be a huge undertaking and even if something were to be created for the user to add his or her realistic timetables and flights to is there anyone who would be prepared to go to all that trouble to be able to use GATC? How about trying it for EGLL or EHAM!!

Surely, the fun and attraction of GATC is the challenge of being able to control aircraft irrespective of where they have come from or are going to. But I guess there may be some people who would not enjoy this unless the traffic was 100% realistic in every way.

David

Just my 2ps worth ..it really doesn't bother me with airlines coming in from wrong directions..once it gets busy its all about getting a string of pearls going and keeping them safe ...I have played other ATC sims that had real traffic and it can get boring knowing what's coming at what time , I always used a random generator if there was one .

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to the developer for the simulation. Nice work.

I have to say, the traffic issue does trouble me a bit. I am a fan of real traffic, but agree that random generation is very benefitial as well.

The problem as I see it is the highly unrealistic traffic mix. It is nice that the correct airlines are flying only types that they fly and only to airports that they serve - that is almost all that I need. But when I'm working CYYZ and see Air Canada flights outnumbered 4 to 1 by LOT, the realism starts to fade. Likewise, not seeing a single Australian carrier at YSSY over an hour is... interesting.

It occurred to me that a possible solution to the issue is to add a field in the airline data for country of origion. If the country of origion matches the country of airport, then the local airlines get a loading that increases the likelyhood of seeing one of them, possibly 2:1 or 3:1 (2 or 3 local for every non-local carrier - I just drew that ratio from the air, I've not done any research into typical ratios at airports). I haven't looked at the airport data to see whether there is a field for country data, but I'm not sure that it really needs it - you could base it on the airport code. ie.CXXX gives preference to Canadian airlines, YXXX, to Australian, EDXX to German carriers, etc...

I think the realism generated by this change would be immense.

If it was felt this was a good path to take, a further development could be to give aircraft a field that depicts their typical deployment. ie. short or long-haul. It would be imperfect, but a user based setting might adjust the ratio of short/long haul flights resulting in both a realistic feeling airline mix and a realistic feeling aircraft type mix. You could even have non-local carriers flying only long-haul aircraft. Not necessarily accurate, but it would reduce the number of Chinese CRJs flying around Canada!

Anyway, as I said before, thanks for developing and supporting this simulator. Great work.

Archived