Thessaloniki X City Configurator [v3.0] (if you have OOM issues)

EmilG

Those backup files got nothing to do with the uninstall process, as it would be fatal to simply role back to a file that is also altered by other programs.

The reason for those files being created, is simply best practice to make a backup of a file you are going to change. Same, when somebody asks to change something in fsx.cfg "but please make a backup before".

So a tool to deactivate entries in the dll.xml could be really usefull siilar to SCE.

Agreed! A tool would be nice, but it is a pretty easy edit with notepad to be honest.

Please don't take me wrong altstiff - it's definitely not meant like "your fsx - your problem".

This is more like a process how to identify what could be improved with what effect.

I'm convinced that once there is identified what steps are necessary to do to get significant result then Aerosoft will for sure present it - it's in their own interest ;-)

But one very important point - it is not necessary to remove DLLs - they can be just disabled!

And if this has significant effect I can imagine it would be possible to write an SCE-like editor to allow users to disable/enable DLLs based in their needs.

Oh I don't take it the wrong way with you (or Emil as he has been very helpful). I am just proving a point here.

I resent being told to "get my sim in order".

Not just that statement on it's own, but to suggest that I am being sloppy and careless and that I don't know what I am doing. And that is fine to suggest this, as I am a grown man and can take being criticised, even more so when I am having an issue.

But to suggest this and then not offer me any real suggestions on what might "get my sim in order" is not very productive or helpful.

Thankfully the community came together in here and other users pointed me in the right direction to solve my issues.

One last thing. I didn't suggest removing DLL files, I said to remove the entries in the DLL.XML.

I keep several copies of the DLL.XML file depending on what and where I am flying and manually add remove them to the sim as needed, I also keep a master dll.xml file with everything on it (the one I gave Emil).

• Aerosoft

I resent being told to "get my sim in order".

Not just that statement on it's own, but to suggest that I am being sloppy and careless and that I don't know what I am doing. And that is fine to suggest this, as I am a grown man and can take being criticised, even more so when I am having an issue.

I don't think you should read it like that, I could have written that to you just as easily.

It's what I written now many times. The people that have problems have on thing in common. They have a lot of add-ons that require a lot of memory and some of those are not very cleverly programmed. That means that you load the scenery (a heavy scenery no doubt about that) with very limited available memory. Things are really that simple.

Getting you sim on order in that sense means deciding where you want to spend your available memory. As long as you do not demand more then is available all is well.

Yep, sorry my mistake. But disabling that in exe.xml will disable GSX ?

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that one is needed for GSX just as you suggest.

Also I wonder how much benefit you would have looking at your VAS usage disabling that single DLL and especially since Umberto seems to be very well aware of the VAS problem for many users and develop his products accordingly.

I don't understand, if i have all sceneries disabled except departure/arrival sceneries(no photoscenry enabled!) + Win7 x64 i have this. it's a shame i can't enjoy one of the best fsx's sceneries i have. But only when the airport is on my front, the VAS increases a lot. When airport is on my back, VAS reduces again, i realized that on my last approach. And after the final turn (aircraft aligned with runway- airport in front of me) VAS has increased again and OOM shuts off fsx

I don't understand, if i have all sceneries disabled except departure/arrival sceneries(no photoscenry enabled!) + Win7 x64 i have this. it's a shame i can't enjoy one of the best fsx's sceneries i have. But only when the airport is on my front, the VAS increases a lot. When airport is on my back, VAS reduces again, i realized that on my last approach. And after the final turn (aircraft aligned with runway- airport in front of me) VAS has increased again and OOM shuts off fsx

Sorry to hear you're still having OOM issues.

- what size are your textures, 1024 or bigger?

- is this after applying LITE II mode using ver 3 of the City Config tool?

- what weather engine are you using and using what settings? (CDD (Cloud Draw Distance) and Enhanced Overcast cost plenty VAS I'm sure)

Coualt.exe runs outside FSX, it has no access to the memory occupied by FSX. It communicates with FSX in order to load the GSX vehicles for example. The Coalt-engine itself has no impact on VAS usuage...

couatl.exe occupies about 200MB (if i'm not mistaken)

Wow, that's more than I would have guessed but is that really VAS? The way I understood it couatl.exe is running outside FSX since it's located in exe.xml and then the 200 MB would be your normal RAM and not the precious VAS inside FSX or am I wrong...?

Coualt.exe runs outside FSX, it has no access to the memory occupied by FSX. It communicates with FSX in order to load the GSX vehicles for example. The Coalt-engine itself has to impact on VAS usuage...

Thanks for confirming, wasn't sure but then I understood this correctly :)

Have you checked for any duplicate AFCADs at LGTS? For instance any freeware you may have installed, or if you have any AI traffic addons like MyTraffic? If so search the MyTraffic folder for "LGTS" and rename any .bgl's you find to ".off".

Lastly, have you tried simply uninstalling LGTS, redownloading the installer, and installing it again by running as administrator?

Something is amiss for sure because especially with the LITE versions, you should not still be having OOM's.

I have Aerosoft My Traffic 2013, and i have many bgl's disabled because of addon sceneries, but not all and i can confirm that i have a duplicate afcad at LGTS. i'll rename that bgl on mytraffic folder and see after what happens..

i always install with administrator rights with UAC disabled.

Should i rename the bgl traffic to .off uninstall and reinstall scenery again ?

Thanks for your help

Texture size: 2048

I've applied LITE (in version 3.0) , but i will apply LITE II to see if i have some benefits.

Weather engine: ASN. CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=6

And yes, i tick the enhanced overcast option in ASE

I'm using 1024 textures for two reasons, I never really noticed any difference (at least not to the better) using bigger textures than 1024. Secondly I try to stay away from using things/settings that I must remember to look after in fsx.cfg since they will be reverted to default whenever changes are done to fsx.cfg. TML is a perfect example and another one is CDD. Maybe you could try 1024 textures instead and see if that helps you out?

LITE II definitely is a big improvement at least it was in my case so this is what I would start with if I was you.

Are you running ASE or ASN? In ASN you have two settings, a min and a max value for CDD and ASN will then dynamically adjust this setting for you in realtime. I have my max set to 150 which is very high, not sure what that would be in fsx.cfg but in your case having CDD @ 6 seems pretty low so I don't think that should be much of a problem. Enhanced overcast though is something I think might be very costly, haven't had the time to do proper testing yet.

So...my suggestion to you would be in the below order:

1. Start with switching to LITE II mode, maybe this will be all required to keep you away from any more OOMs

2. Disable enhanced overcast

3. Reduce your TML to 1024

I have Aerosoft My Traffic 2013, and i have many bgl's disabled because of addon sceneries, but not all and i can confirm that i have a duplicate afcad at LGTS. i'll rename that bgl on mytraffic folder and see after what happens..

i always install with administrator rights with UAC disabled.

Should i rename the bgl traffic to .off uninstall and reinstall scenery again ?

Thanks for your help

I'd start with one step at a time and just disable any MyTraffic .bgls and see if that helps. It seems you made the right steps on the initial install, so wait on that til you're out of other options.

In process explorer, from what i've seen, couatl "belongs" to FSX VAS consumption. Programs that contribute to increase VAS, i saw: couatl; as_audio; EZCA and nothing more if i remember

That's weird since I think it's running outside FSX just like KLM737 also said above. Not sure what Process Explorer looks like and how good it is, could it be that you "misread" the value or an actual problem with the app itself?

Not sure about this though but one easy way to test this would be that you temporarily disable it by removing it from the exe.xml and then load a flight and check your VAS value. Then do the same thing with it enabled and compare the VAS values. If it indeed does consume 200 MB VAS that's plenty but on the other hand it gives you GSX with all it's functionality which you'll be able to enjoy globally so in the end I guess you need to ask yourself what addons you would like to prioritize if your VAS won't fit all your addons.

Personally I really hope now after applying LITE II that will be enough to solve my OOMs because I won't even consider disabling global addons like GSX, FTXG, ASN etc or change the aircraft I enjoy flying for one single airport scenery but hey...that's of course my highly personal way of looking at this. Other maybe don't care what aircraft they're flying and in what weather etc as long as the airport and it's surrounding is a close to the real thing as possible. In the end it's all personal preferences.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Btw, we have now looked at many dll.xml's etc from people who are low on memory. We found that some of them have 60 or more entrees (a default FSX has 6 of which some can be removed). Some of these DLL's are large and some are not unloaded when they are no longer needed. Some are also loaded on FSX startup even though you are not using the aircraft of airport they belong to. We have also seen some fsx.cfg that has stuff in there that was only for FS2004 and a lot of people has stuff there that was only useful for FSX pre SP1.

To be honest, I do not believe that this has any impact.

I found an interesting tool to handle the dml.xll, called FSX DLL.XML Viewer and Repair Utility which can be found here: http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

It allows you to extract all entries in the dll.xml and build you own modified dll.xml, without any unnecessary dlls, eg. in my case all dll from Orbx, PMDG, and some others.

BUT: I checked the size of all dlls ( in my case 54) and they had in total a size of 37MB! (crosscheched it with the Process Explorer, value "WS" after starting FSX)

So IMHO it is not worth the time to start fiddling aorund with modified a dll.xml

Or did I miss something?

Archived