Thessaloniki X City Configurator [v3.0] (if you have OOM issues)

EmilG

I also wonder where exactly I can get the new v3 of the City Config tool? I checked under Product updates but couldn't find it in the list. Haven't manually registered LGTS though if that's the problem? But on the other hand I have all my other products in the list even though I haven't registered them.

I also wonder where exactly I can get the new v3 of the City Config tool? I checked under Product updates but couldn't find it in the list. Haven't manually registered LGTS though if that's the problem? But on the other hand I have all my other products in the list even though I haven't registered them.

You can download it from here: http://support.aerosoft.com/support.php

You will have to register it. You'll need your e-mail and serial. The entry is "Aerosoft - Thessaloniki X"

Once registered, the name of the patch is the only entry called: "Thessaloniki patch (Out of Memory errors )"

LGTS works fine in DX10 and Steve's fixer on my aged system at high settings and with no OOMs. I do not use the NGX but the Milviz 737 worked with no issues. If there are any graphics glitches in DX10 I have not seen them.

This is good news. I have given up on DX9 and rely solely on DX 10 for FSX simply for its optimized memory management compared to DX9.

Reading through this thread one can conclude that highly detailed sceneries like Thessaloniki X will continue to evolve which seems futile for an aged FSX without making sacrifices to the reality of the sim. Solution is start all over again with a 64 bit sim. Good news again since there is one in the making........

V3 patch is much better!

But I would still like to know how to disable the autogen trees around the scenery.

There is no autogen in the scenery, everything is controlled from the .BGL files, which we are optimizing from here to deliver the patch versions. You will have noticed the nice blend of the scenery models on top of the terrain, this is because the terrain is 'shaded' to match the overlaying models. This would not be possible with autogen, let alone the 'hell' we'd have gone through if we had our own custom autogen models (thank you FTX).

The autogen slider will only control 3D lights.

There is no autogen in the scenery, everything is controlled from the .BGL files, which we are optimizing from here to deliver the patch versions. You will have noticed the nice blend of the scenery models on top of the terrain, this is because the terrain is 'shaded' to match the overlaying models. This would not be possible with autogen, let alone the 'hell' we'd have gone through if we had our own custom autogen models (thank you FTX).

The autogen slider will only control 3D lights.

I don't have FTX (I do have some ORBX areas in NA). Is there one file that controls the trees or a way to remove them?

I don't have FTX (I do have some ORBX areas in NA). Is there one file that controls the trees or a way to remove them?

That's what I meant, we did not add custom autogen models, because 1) it would create many conflicts with other add-ons and 2) the models would not 'blend in'.

There is no other way to control the scenery density other than the patch.

That's what I meant, we did not add custom autogen models, because 1) it would create many conflicts with other add-ons and 2) the models would not 'blend in'.

There is no other way to control the scenery density other than the patch.

I see, there is not one files that controls trees. They are blended. Understood.

I am perplexed as to why others have very little VAS footprint and others do not. So goes the PC world huh!? So many combinations of hardware and so on. It is almost impossible to track down.

You can download it from here: http://support.aerosoft.com/support.php

You will have to register it. You'll need your e-mail and serial. The entry is "Aerosoft - Thessaloniki X"

Once registered, the name of the patch is the only entry called: "Thessaloniki patch (Out of Memory errors )"

Many thanks Kyle, found it!

Never really understood the download support section, sometimes you need to manually register the product and sometimes (most of the time) the product will be shown in the list without manual registration...

Solution is start all over again with a 64 bit sim. Good news again since there is one in the making........

Really? Didn't know anything was decided for sure yet?

Just found the answer to my own question, guess you mean X-Plane? Interesting! Haven't looked into X-Plane yet myself but maybe I will.

Sorry for the detour from the subject...back to Greece ;)

I see, there is not one files that controls trees. They are blended. Understood.

I am perplexed as to why others have very little VAS footprint and others do not. So goes the PC world huh!? So many combinations of hardware and so on. It is almost impossible to track down.

Now you see the 'troubled' world of the developer who wants to 'push the limits' in FSX (p3dv2.0 is another story-more flexible).

Having NGX always in mind, the ideal testing would involve getting VAS readings on a clean FSX setup. That would be the true VAS load. Then one by one, after each add-on, test again. Try different display settings, test again. This would of course take ages, and the amount of testers that would have to participate, to include all possible add-ons and hardware setup combinations would be more than the actual buying community! inefficient. Our testing team was comprised of experienced simmers with heavy and lighter setups though, who all gave us the green light after a LOT of hard-time (never any OOMs though, just reaching alarming VAS ranges) and optimisation stages which took over 2 months..damn testers.. :)

You see, scenery files are pretty simple, no fancy code or calculations take place. More stuff (polygons&textures) = more memory, pure math. Which is why I' m damn sure some add-on combination and/or hardware setup is interfering and some people are flying the smooth approach with RTM/or LITE, and some others have problems with LITE II.

Bottom line is that when a scenery is at 'fault' and 'unflyable' out of the box, then it is unflyable everywhere, in every setup, no matter what. If however, the great majority of users (believe me this is true) can 'fly' it in the 'lights' and the heavies, then it must be boiling down to individual add-on/hardware (specifically intrigued by the issue with higher spec GPUs..odd) setups that fail to do so. No doubt, this is a heavy scenery, so when you're playing at this level, it is expected that the detail in the setup will be important.

Just because I do understand the need of other add-ons in FS though, I tried to give the extra two LITE options. Especially LITE II, should now allow a lot more space to 'calculate' for the more 'problematic' add-on/hardware setups

Well that was boring enough.. :)

p.s. still waiting for more DLL and EXE files, some are actually 'clogged' with add-ons, which may or may not affect but could increase the risk of running out of memory in heavy environments.

Just did a quick test loading up the NGX at LGTS after applying the LITE II mode using the CC v3 and wow what a difference to the better !!

Running at default mode just by panning around in the v/c of the NGX would drop the free VAS to about 400-500 MB quite quickly and then if I switched to a wing view and then spot view it dropped down to about 150 MB really quick. As you know you're in the danger zone when it drops below 300 MB and that's when you also start hearing that 'ding' sound from FSUIPC every 10 seconds or so.

Now after applying the LITE II mode using CC v3 no matter how much I changed views from v/c to wing view to spot view panning around wildly I couldn't get the free VAS to drop below approx 900 MB and now that is a GREAT improvement looking at VAS usage !! With that kind of VAS usage I feel 99.9% confident doing my second flight online on VATSIM in the NGX using ASN into LGTS from ESSA tomorrow.

Now in retrospect don't you agree guys this turned out pretty well after all (although it got a bit "hot" in periods) having this CC tool that will allow all kind of users to enjoy this amazing scenery :D

Big thanks again Emilios for your splendid and dedicated support !!!

...and Mathijs...please stop telling me to sort my FS will you...;)

I have always been one to run my sim very lean in terms of settings. But I do have a crap load of scenery installed.

I installed Scenery Config Editor and have removed everything but the default scenery entries, activating only LGTS and LGSK (flying between the two of them in the NGX).

UREKA!

Using only 2.3GB of VAS (and this is with the RTM version, going full tilt with eye candy).

I do have many, many sceneries installed and even though nothing is within 100+ miles of LGTS it does have a major impact on VAS with them activated.

Taking the advice of KyleD and acting on what Ollie said how easy it is to use SCE (and free) this will certainly change FSX simming for me.

I went up to 3.1GB in usage just before take off while facing the city as I taxied toward runway 16 (using the full RTM version, the VAS did spike to 3.1 once it came into view). At gear up I was down to 2.6GB used.

Landing at LGSK I was at 2.5GB used. That gives me plenty of head room.

For just a few mouse clicks before you start your sim session it is well worth it.

Not to mention you gain back that SCE mouse clicking time and then some (SCE takes all of 60 seconds to set up your scenery CFG for your flight), when you cut down the loading times in the sim. My sim loads in less than a minute now too.

Again this SCE utility is a game changer for me.

What SCE does, it "almost" sets your scenery.cfg back to a vanilla FSX installation state: Hardly any more entries active than those from the "FSX base pack". And that's what Mathijs and Emilios have been referring to a couple of times: LGTS works just fine in its factory state with just "plain" FSX, realistic weather and a nice (or even a "heavy") addon aircraft active.

And that's exactly what's so outstanding about this freeware SCE: Despite my nearly 600 scenery layers, I can still run the full-blown LGTS as if my FSX were in its "virgin" state - what it obviously isn't.

• Deputy Sheriffs

p.s. still waiting for more DLL and EXE files, some are actually 'clogged' with add-ons, which may or may not affect but could increase the risk of running out of memory in heavy environments.

Here 2 more files:

dll.xml

exe.xml

Really? Didn't know anything was decided for sure yet?

Just found the answer to my own question, guess you mean X-Plane? Interesting! Haven't looked into X-Plane yet myself but maybe I will.

Sorry for the detour from the subject...back to Greece ;)

Read on my friend....

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5094

Wasn't aware LM was actually planning for a 64 bit version of P3D but that is really great news indeed!! I do own P3Dv2 but at this moment I don't have it installed waiting for some of the issues to hopefully be fixed in the upcoming patch and for more addon developers to catch up.

Looks like it might be many more years in this hobby then ;)

My appologies to Emilios,

After several tries, no more OOM encountered at LGTS. I just had to uncheck vector lights (very greedy apparently) on FTXGlobal.

From all my scenarios, i am now approaching the airport with VAS=3000 which is way enough.

Appologies again Emilios.. This is a fantastic scenery.

Dom

Alstif, did you remove FS Dreamteam airports too ? Bcause its give me headaches each time since couatl needs to reload the sceneries each time you deactivate them in the library or is there a better way ?

Dom

• Deputy Sheriffs

Made another test with 2 different fsx.cfg:

- ver. 1 vanilla, with only highmemfix applied

- ver. 2 with Bojote's tweaks:
post-12207-0-66776600-1391103859_thumb.j

Result: ver. 2 gave me only a drop of ~200MB versus ver.1 with nearly 1GB

Strange, isn't it?

My appologies to Emilios,

After several tries, no more OOM encountered at LGTS. I just had to uncheck vector lights (very greedy apparently) on FTXGlobal.

From all my scenarios, i am now approaching the airport with VAS=3000 which is way enough.

Appologies again Emilios.. This is a fantastic scenery.

Dom

Accepted Dom.

Made another test with 2 different fsx.cfg:

- ver. 1 vanilla, with only highmemfix applied

- ver. 2 with Bojote's tweaks:

attachicon.gifvenetubo.jpg

Result: ver. 2 gave me only a drop of ~200MB versus ver.1 with nearly 1GB

Strange, isn't it?

please drop the tweaks.

I'm downloading the v3.0, and do i have to revert to normal installation with v2.0 ? or simply run the 3.0 and choose ?

download v3, install Default setup. re-run and choose the LITE setup you need.

Alstif, did you remove FS Dreamteam airports too ? Bcause its give me headaches each time since couatl needs to reload the sceneries each time you deactivate them in the library or is there a better way ?

Dom

I did deactivate them from the scenery.CFG list (but not deactivated from the serials via the FSDT menu in FSX if that is what you mean?) but haven't had to reactivate them yet (until I plan on flying into them that is).

Are you saying I will see trouble when I do?

Archived