Thessaloniki X City Configurator [v3.0] (if you have OOM issues)

EmilG

Update - patch installed, flight reloaded, approaching LGTS lite:

Until touchdown VAS increased to 3.6 - 3.7 GB. That's rather "tight"; the patch shouldn't be any "lighter" than it is right now.

Now, what a nice surprise: Aborted the landing and headed straight North over the town (still in my VAS-intensive PMDG T7!). VAS usage went even down(!) to a steady 3.4 GB ... and the town was still looking good:

attachicon.gifikea.jpg

attachicon.giffootball.jpg

attachicon.gifwall.jpg

Christopher, to me it looks like the airport is more VAS-intense than the town.

Emilios, this patch is very enjoyable as an intermediate "one step down" configuration. Maybe an upcoming "switch" could provide an additional option ("two steps down") for those of us who fly heavies and/or with serious weather? I'm thinking of something like:

- LGTS default: for GA planes, for example ("sight-seeing")

- LGTS lite I: current patch/intermediate level (medium-level aircraft, light weather)

- (upcoming) LGTS lite II: for heavies/deep systems and/or with serious weather/multiple cloud layers etc.

Anyhoo, this is an amazing scenery. Will get back to the default installation and do some sight-seeing in a light plane shortly. B)

This is the results we got here as well. The whole scenery works with levels of detail, the more you leave the 'heavy areas', the less VAS you will have. An even 'lighter' option is a good idea, will provide that lighter patch soon.

@chriskat: I assume you are already using the LITE version? If so, please let us have some FSX display settings, add-ons, etc..etc..please also make sure you keep up to date as we shall be delivering a new patch as well.

@EmilG yes i use LITE verion . adds on :utx europe ftx flobal and opus weather engine . the other adds on sceneries are disable in scenery library .

thanks for reply

OK, since you are flying on heavy aircraft and use add-ons which also take up significant amount of memory, you can try to follow our FSX diplay settings advice from the manual.

Most important settings:

-Water: Low2.x

-LOD Radius: Medium

-Autogen: Normal

-AI traffic: 30-40%

-Also try to de-activate 3D grass from our scenery manager.

A next patch shall be delivered soon.

Emilios,

What about making it possible (for those who want) to use the airport only, without the city?

I initially thought it is enough to deactivate the Thessaloniki X_2_Scenery folder.

But I can see some airport bgl's there (ThessalonikiX_airport1, ThessalonikiX_airport2 and ThessalonikiX_airport3), so I am not sure on that. Can you confirm?

I am also not sure on how deactivating the landclass folder (Thessaloniki X_3_LC) could affect the airport itself.

Of course that is no solution for any problem. And cuts off what seems to be a very attractive part of the product.

But it is a temporary suggestion for those simmers who experience some OOM problems and would like to fly to/from the airport in the meantime.

Emilios,

What about making it possible (for those who want) to use the airport only, without the city?

I initially thought it is enough to deactivate the Thessaloniki X_2_Scenery folder.

But I can see some airport bgl's there (ThessalonikiX_airport1, ThessalonikiX_airport2 and ThessalonikiX_airport3), so I am not sure on that. Can you confirm?

I am also not sure on how deactivating the landclass folder (Thessaloniki X_3_LC) could affect the airport itself.

Of course that is no solution for any problem. And cuts off what seems to be a very attractive part of the product.

But it is a temporary suggestion for those simmers who experience some OOM problems and would like to fly to/from the airport in the meantime.

Hi Rafal,

A user can disable Thessaloniki X_2_Scenery and de-activate the city only.

That's definitely not recommended.

Increased RAM is what makes this amount of detail possible. We have tested the RTM default product extensively and no tester ever experienced memory problems. And neither have most users so far. A good example is promotional 'testing' i.e. reviewers&video producers who use heavy add-on aircraft to demonstrate the scenery in full density. None ever reported problems.

I understand that some users simply have:

-numerous VAS consuming add-ons in parallel

-'tweaked' .cfg files- with the exception of the HIGHMEMFIX=1, most other tweaks often cause problems

-very high FSX display settings (e.g. most important is LOD radius; try setting to medium for heavy aircraft approach, same goes for autogen-reduce to Normal or Dense)

All this is well described in our manual with advised settings for each occasion and have been repeatedly tested on long 2-month testing sessions.

That said however, the last patch will have the option to reduce VAS down to very low 'basal' levels. This is really all we can do to accommodate those 'heavier' users, other than that there is nothing else we can do from our side.

We have updated Thessaloniki X City Configurator [v2.0] to reduce scenery complexity and memory usage, for those users who wish to run multiple heavy add-ons in parallel.

For optimised FSX display settings in 'heavy scenarios', please get advice from the product's manual.

The previous 'patching tool' is now obsolete; can be deleted.

Instructions

Please be sure that FSX is shut down before running the configurator.

You will find three options:

-Default Scenery

-LITE Scenery

-LITE II Scenery (for multiple heavy add-ons)

Note that that the installation will work only in 'one direction'.

You can only go:

-From Default downward to LITE

or

-From Default downward to LITE II

or

-From LITE downward to LITE II

If you want to switch versions, but you are not sure which version is currently installed:

-Shut down FSX

-Run the configurator and select Default Scenery to bring back the original files.

-Exit the installer

-Run the configurator again and pick your desired version

(...) You can only go:
-From Default downward to LITE
or
-From Default downward to LITE II
or
-From LITE downward to LITE II
If you want to switch versions, but you are not sure which version is currently installed:
-Shut down FSX
-Run the configurator and select Default Scenery to bring back the original files.
-Exit the installer
-Run the configurator again and pick your desired version

Emilios, this implies that I can go from either lite or from lite II to default, correct? The only combination which does NOT work is going from lite II to lite, can you confirm?

I tried two more flights with

- default configuration (LGTS configurator)

- all options enabled (LGTS manager)

- "incredibly high" graphics settings, way higher than what the profile I uploaded provides

This boils down to pretty much the factory state of LGTS (all options activated/no downgrades applied).

VAS usage was 3.1 GB in a light (default) airplane with fps locked at 30, CPU load around 60%. This is an amazing result for an impressive scenery out of the box(?), which is fun to explore, no OOM risk with light low&slow planes, no matter how you max out your sliders (weather and LOD radius could change that, of course). Do yourself a favour and try for yourself! :D

For another test I restarted FSX, loaded the Aerosoft Airbus Extended at a stand, taxied to rwy 34 (North departure, had both the high-detail terminal and the town in my line of sight), flew some fancy SID, returned on a STAR and landed rwy 10. VAS usage was tight but remember, all scenery options were cranked up and so were my graphics settings - so lots of ways left to balance visuals with VAS and frame rates: Before takeoff VAS varied between 3.5 and 3.7 GB; on landing it went up to 3.8 GB.

Again, there are more options than you will ever need to provide some safety margin from those OOMs. What surprised me here is that it is possible at all(!) to fly around this scenery with ridiculously high settings plus an addon aircraft with medium-level systems and high quality graphics. Before I did my test I would have claimed that this is impossible with this level of detail provided in LGTS.

Christopher: I'd assume your OOMs were due to stuff like

- view switching, using external views (nothing wrong with that, but you'll have to cater for some safety margin first - the brand new v2.0 configurator may help here, too)

- VAS overhead from previous portions of your flight (not unloading as nicely as the LGTS airport scenery, including that fantastic terminal)

- graphics settings in general (see those profiles)

- combinations with more/different addons than what I have in use

Bottom line: Thank you Emilios, thank you FSDG ... B)

Well i must be one of the lucky ones, im having no problems at all so far straight out of the box so to speak. :o

Thankyou for this stunning scenery Emil/FSDG its a joy taking off, landing, and having a general mooch around LGTS and its surounding city!!

Good day

I have just made some tests with the new configuration option by setting "-LITE II Scenery (for multiple heavy add-ons)" option.

FSX settings high, as by my screens at the other post.

The results was pretty much the same as by @olli4740.

I think the 2nd patch do his work and a slightly lower settings are making no difference, visually etc.

Thanks for the 2nd patch Emil.

Good day

I have just made some tests with the new configuration option by setting "-LITE II Scenery (for multiple heavy add-ons)" option.

FSX settings high, as by my screens at the other post.

The results was pretty much the same as by @olli4740.

I think the 2nd patch do his work and a slightly lower settings are making no difference, visually etc.

Thanks for the 2nd patch Emil.

That's good news, Christopher! In the MD11, with some real weather approaching rwy16, I did some view switching: In external views I finally noticed some increase in VAS over the town, near the harbor. But it didn't hurt ...

Well i must be one of the lucky ones, im having no problems at all so far straight out of the box so to speak. :o

Thankyou for this stunning scenery Emil/FSDG its a joy taking off, landing, and having a general mooch around LGTS and its surounding city!!

Chris, I wouldn't have had either, if it wasn't for the PMDG B777! :P

The T7 is VAS-intense, but fps-friendly at the same time. In all my other planes I'd check the framerates, lower my settings juuust enough to obtain a smooth flight experience, and that usually (at least 95% of all occasions) also keeps me away from those OOMs. That's exactly what I noticed today, when intentionally reversing my procedure: In order to "make" the Airbus and the MD11 OOM, I had to bear really low framerates. In the T7, I could enjoy high fps AND OOMs all in one! :lol:

So I will stick to the factory state of LGTS, BTW, 'cause the couple of profiles I have fit Thessaloniki as well (with one exception as far as aircraft are concerned ...). And that's even more good news.

Now back to enjoying my brand new scenery! :D

Which area of the town is this? and what are you settings (dispaly) please?

okey here are the pictures.

my setting

rikm.jpg

Looking at the town...

am2k.jpg

then down to 20FPS.. and it jumps between 20-30FPS

e3v4.jpg

and then approaching from the town or in the air i get 28-30FPS

auyo.jpg

Am puzzled why is that when in the air looking over the town i get around 30FPS but when on the RWY 16-34 looking to the town i get 30-20FPS jumping...

@LCLK: This is normal, your settings are fine. LOD radius can be reduced to medium IF you have VAS issues but leave it as it is otherwise.

Your frames now: This is normal too. Remember, when you are at the airport, FSX renders both the airport and some part the city. Those numbers are by no means a frame 'hit' though.

Emilios, this implies that I can go from either lite or from lite II to default, correct? The only combination which does NOT work is going from lite II to lite, can you confirm?

That's correct.

Thanks for your report!

So this could be my last report on the VAS issue:

Managed to fly the PMDG B777 out of and back into LGTS with real weather (cloudy and windy; ASN even advised me of some windshear in the area!) and the graphics profile I provided.

This was with the factory state of Thessaloniki X (no downgrade via the configurator applied). While I can't quite recommend this for VAS-hungry scenerios (VAS peaked to 3.8 GB before liftoff and to 3.9 GB until touchdown), I'm rather happy I have performed a complete flight in my most VAS-intense aircraft - with LGTS at both ends :rolleyes: - without taking anything away from what the developers have created.

Thank you once more.

EDIT: Just ignore the tailwind during my landing! :P

i try this Patch later on today. I selected Texture 1024x1024 (as Default) in Addon Manager and after my 2 arrivals in LGTS i get the same Sound of Windows that is while "Windows is out of Memory" but FSX works still fine and no error Window is shown...

Dont know why this is but i hope it left with this patch...Maybe i have to select 2048 or 4096 Textures???

I flew into LGTS with PMDG 737-700 out of EDDS and QW Avro RJ100 out of LGTM...

Greets

Nice Airport

i try this Patch later on today. I selected Texture 1024x1024 (as Default) in Addon Manager and after my 2 arrivals in LGTS i get the same Sound of Windows that is while "Windows is out of Memory" but FSX works still fine and no error Window is shown...

Dont know why this is but i hope it left with this patch...Maybe i have to select 2048 or 4096 Textures???

I flew into LGTS with PMDG 737-700 out of EDDS and QW Avro RJ100 out of LGTM...

Greets

Nice Airport

Best to leave texture size at 1.024. The OOM sound serves as a warning (with the PMDG NGX you still have time left to save your flight, restart FSX and continue with a lower VAS usage). The actual OOM may follow shortly ... or even not at all.

If you want to get a handle on your VAS usage, download the free Process Explorer from Microsoft, which can give you a constant readout during all your flights. (Search in MS download/support section.)

You

know, the scenery is amazing, it is my home town, it is the second HUB from the virtual I am flying for 10 years now.

In other words I am making hundreds of flights from and too there.

I simply cannot afford it not to work(scenery) and having OOM, I t will make me throw everything from the balkon...! :mallet_s:

Hope it is solved, so far so good...

When i fly with the PMDG NGX i can land and taxi to the Apron after 20min Turnaround time OOM (With no Tool (Default) ! With my A2A C172R no Problems ! When i fly the PMDG T7 then chrashed on Approach 5nm inbound Threshold rwy 34 or 16 .

I think and i hope theres a good idea from me i think we need an tool for VFR or IFR . The IFR tool shoutdown 60% of the City autogen ! I think tis Option are better .

Best regards

Chris

PS. i hope this help

Hi.

Unfortunately the problem related to OOM has not been sorted out by new patch. My computer had never caught OOM before I installed LGTS. The city seems to have to be shut down before final approach after long range flight. May be that will resolve the problem. Though if I take off from LGTS and make pretty long-duration flight in the vicinity of the airport, VAS is not being increased more than 2.9GB, and OOM's problem don't appear.

With best regards.

Denis.

Archived