Problem using saitek throttle quad to reverse Twin Otters Throttles ?

The easiest way I have found so far it to set the power lever for throttle the mixture lever for reversers and use my mouse to control the condition levers. Then when you want to go into the beta range, pull the power all the way back and advance the reversers into the beta for smooth power transitions. I use FSUIPC so I don't know it you can do this with standard axis assignments.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Saitek throttles and reverse thrust.

Firstly, the lowest detent setting on the throttle lever is where axis control stops. The lowest setting (down as far as it will go), acts as a "button". Confusing? yes.....

How to set reverse thrust (jets) or beta (turboprops) :

In the FSUIPC menu :

- select "buttons and switches"

- pull desired throttle all the way down, as far as it will go.

- Tick "select for FS control"

- "Control sent when button pressed" - from drop down menu, select "Throttle (number) decrease"

- "Control to repeat while held" - tick

- "Control sent when button released" - from drop down menu, select "Throttle (number) cut"

Repeat for each lever/engine as required.

Now you should have reverse thrust/beta range when retarding the throttle lever fully down.

Hope this helps......

chris from oz

Sorry, as Finn said, you do need a registered copy of FSUIPC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Tuppy, it's been a while since I played with mine, but while the process you described works great for full reverse and back to ground idle, it doesn't allow for fine control of beta and reverse for taxi speed control or docking the float/amphib.

As propbably anyone that has PT6 time will tell you, finessing the power lever around the beta range and into the beginning of the reverse band (where the PT6 starts to increase the gas producer speed) produces both a distintive sound from the props and very fine control. Not to mention a sense of satisfaction in smoothly controlling ground/water speed, the former without brakes.

So, if what you want is simply the ability to get to full reverse with the power lever as in real life, your instructions nailed it. On the other hand, if you want fine control of forward/neutral/reverse thrust, you'll have to set a flight idle point ahead of the lowest detent setting. The range you give yourslef between the idle point and the Saitek detent becomes your beta range control. In the real thing, you lift the power levers up and back over a hard detent, but in a Saitek setup, you'll have to use a reference marker to know where ground idle is or trust the beta lights. It's all a compromise.

All this said, Finn has the Twotter as well tuned for beta/reverse ops as the best PT6 add-ons out there, expecailly considering the FSX limitations for free turbine turboporp engines.

Tuppy, it's been a while since I played with mine, but while the process you described works great for full reverse and back to ground idle, it doesn't allow for fine control of beta and reverse for taxi speed control or docking the float/amphib.

As propbably anyone that has PT6 time will tell you, finessing the power lever around the beta range and into the beginning of the reverse band (where the PT6 starts to increase the gas producer speed) produces both a distintive sound from the props and very fine control. Not to mention a sense of satisfaction in smoothly controlling ground/water speed, the former without brakes.

So, if what you want is simply the ability to get to full reverse with the power lever as in real life, your instructions nailed it. On the other hand, if you want fine control of forward/neutral/reverse thrust, you'll have to set a flight idle point ahead of the lowest detent setting. The range you give yourslef between the idle point and the Saitek detent becomes your beta range control. In the real thing, you lift the power levers up and back over a hard detent, but in a Saitek setup, you'll have to use a reference marker to know where ground idle is or trust the beta lights. It's all a compromise.

All this said, Finn has the Twotter as well tuned for beta/reverse ops as the best PT6 add-ons out there, expecailly considering the FSX limitations for free turbine turboporp engines.

Hi Herman

Had the same problem which was solved for me by Tigerclaws post here http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/71249-fsuipc-setup-to-have-reverse-thrust-with-the-otter/ I was newbe to FSUIPC but was able to sort it from his instructions. You can set your beta range wherever you like and gives you proportional reverse thrust as you pull back - Lot of fun backing out of the slot. Hope it helps - Thanks again to Tigerclaw. Cheers Pete

Hi Herman, The post referred to doesn't work with saitek throttles.

However, you can program the saitek throttles with FSUIPC to give you a beta range.

Use the mentoned post with a difference:

Define full forward as said, full reverse at 0% on the saitek throttle and define the two idle points just above and below 25%.

It means your forward range is 3/4 of the total throttle range, beta range is 1/4 of the throttle range.

You can then set the reverse power as you wish.

It works with my setup. I can pushback the twotter very nicely and controllable.

Gert

Hi Herman, The post referred to doesn't work with saitek throttles.

However, you can program the saitek throttles with FSUIPC to give you a beta range.

Use the mentoned post with a difference:

Define full forward as said, full reverse at 0% on the saitek throttle and define the two idle points just above and below 25%.

It means your forward range is 3/4 of the total throttle range, beta range is 1/4 of the throttle range.

You can then set the reverse power as you wish.

It works with my setup. I can pushback the twotter very nicely and controllable.

Gert

Thanks Gert, Herman....

Appreciate the extra information to finesse the beta/reverse solution. My post was a quick response to get the OP headed in the right direction.

Previously only used "reverse" for jets, where it's "all or nothing" !

Your solutions are much more elegant. Added to my knowledge somewhat and I thank you for that.

Looking forward to utilising this on my Otters..... lovely aircraft indeed.

cheers

chris from oz

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks to those who added to this thought. I should have added that setting up your Saitek power levers (or throttles as they're called in FSUIPC) does require a registered copy of FSUIPC. Since I consider this little add-on essential, I overlooked noting this.

For the record, I use the Saitek ProFight yoke with an added Saitek quadrant for a total of six levers. I never tested it with the X52 Pro or the yoke without the second quadrant, but following the extra info provided by the link in PeteB's post should work.

Gert57, if you still want to follow up on this to troubleshoot why Tigerclaw's post didn't work for you, just reply back. I took a look at it and I can see where it could cause confusion. Specifically, the way he uses "detent."

Hi Herman, Tigerclaws post didn't work because the Saitek throttles have only a switch below the forward throttle range, not an adjustable range.

So I used 3/4 of the forward range for alfa range, and 1/4 for beta. (with paid version fsuipc of course)

Tigerclaw described a solution for throttles with an adjustable range below the forward range. That's why it didn't work for me.

Thanks for trying to help!!

greetings,

Gert

• Deputy Sheriffs

That's the idea, Gert. As you note, the area below the detent on the Saitek throttle quadrant (at least on the one that's part of the Pro Yoke (and the add-on second quad)) acts as a switch only. Another phrase for the detent is a "soft stop." To get a usable beta range, you have to set an idle point on the quadrant somewhere forward of the detent on the quad. This is done through FSUIPC. I thelps if you mark it somehow, although in the Twotter, watching the beta lights works to keep you out of beta during the flare. In the real thing, there's a gate or stop you have to lift the levers up and over, so the Saitek setup is a compromise, though an affordable one.

In my defence, I'd like to point out that 1) I was using a Saitek X52 Pro at the time I posted that particular setup. And 2) using the same method, with the minor changes listed above is the BEST way to achieve the fine tuning. Since I posted that original post, my "detent" decided it wasn't going play ball anymore, so I removed it completely from my X52. I no longer use that joystick for fixed wing, only for helicopters. I now use TWO Saitek throttle quadrants with the method listed above for ALL mt turboprop planes with reversers.

Thanks for mention though PeteB, much appreciated :)

Works well for me.

And it gives you a superb feeling of the real thing, especially if you fix your two throttle quadrants on your overhead panel! :cool3_s:

Archived