Landing clearance with runway not vacated?

Really a minor thing but... incoming traffic should not be given landing clearance until previous traffic (incoming or outgoing) has vacated the runway.

This is currently ignored by GATC (unless there's a collision!). Might be worth considering a penalty (or maybe just the command is ignored) for these situations?

I found myself cheating on this... :)

In the US landing clearances are allowed if the preceding traffic is anticipated to be clear of the runway by the time the succeeding aircraft arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And in Singapore there are even two aircraft allowed to be on the same runway as long as the first one has passed the middle runway marking.

Many countries, many different rules. Glad GATC isn't sticking to one set of rules. The only thing is a plane lining up crashing into a plane waiting for departure on the runway. As speeds are about 10kts, this shouldn't happen in reality even when such command shouldn't be given by ATC. ;-)

Easy dont issue the landing clearance lol .. when controlling UK Airports i dont Clear a fight to land until the runway is clear , if im doing a US Airport i will clear more to land if i know they will be clear the riunway.

if you want a bit of fun try doing EGKK ,.. one runway ops (26R/08L not used) spacing ARRs 6 miles apart to allow a dep .

Rich

Archived