Continuous descend path

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking a bit of advice on the following: I'm doing EHAM with night time procedures. Commonly this means that ATC clears the arriving plane for one of three transitions for runways 18R or 06 (the two preferred runways for night time flights).

I quote the AIP mentioned for the ARTIP, RIVER AND SUGOL TRANSITIONS TO RWY 18R arrival procedures:

When cleared for NIRSI / NARIX approach RWY 18R:

- Continue via the transition.
- Switch to QNH at NIRSI/NARIX.
- Establish a continuous descend path.
- The minimum altitudes shall be respected.
- The published speeds are mandatory.
- Execute the ILS approach RWY 18R.

Now in Global ATC, one clears the flight to a certain lower altitude. It will decent (like a rock) down to that altitude. The advice I'm seeking is how to handle this a bit more like reality. Clearing the flight to a lower level (say 1000ft) every nautical mile or so is a hell of a job, clearing it a block of 5000ft gives the "brick decent". The same for the speed restrictions.
Basicly, how to be as close to reality with the transition(s) as possible within the constrains of GlobalATC?
The said chart can be found here for runway 18R on the AIS Netherlands website for any reference. The chart for the 06 transition can be found here.

Archived