First A320 scrapped :(

iPetroSS

It's true.

The first ever A320 to be scrapped was 5B-DAT from Cyprus Airways.

It dated back from 1989, one of the first generation A320s if I'm not mistaken.

It landed for the last time in Opa Locka Airport, Florida in order to be scrapped.

http://www.pbase.com/airlinerphotos/cyprus

I have two questions:

- What could be the reasons for them to scrap an A320?

- How on earth did they fly it from EU to Florida?

I would guess that it's gone beyond the point at which it's cost effective to keep it in service, i.e. cost of maintenance vs. how much it earns the company. It was 21 years old when scrapped but may have flown a lot of miles in that time and, if used on predominantly short-hops, pressurised/depressurised many more times that medium haul planes and so used its life up more quickly. That's one possible explanation.

As for the distance it travelled to the scrapyard, once it had been cannibalised and stripped of non essential stuff, and with no passengers, it would make the trip across the pond easily, probably refuelling at an airport on the eastern seaboard though.

Andrew

The only way an A320 would get across the pond in one hop would be to fit fuel tanks in the cargo hold. I cant see that being done for an aircraft to be scrapped. Therefore it would more likely have flown Azores - Bermuda - Opa-locka.

Matt

Maximum range of A320-200 fully laden is about 3,500m. Distance from London to NY using a great circle route is 3465m, so stripped out and with no cargo or passengers, it could easily make that, even using designated airways. BA A318s regularly fly to NY from London City Airport via Shannon airport. I make the assumption that the agent would want to make as few stops as possible because each landing would incur a fee. Whether they use that route or not I don't know but the type can make the journey when empty.

Andrew

Matt

Maximum range of A320-200 fully laden is about 3,500m. Distance from London to NY using a great circle route is 3465m, so stripped out and with no cargo or passengers, it could easily make that, even using designated airways. BA A318s regularly fly to NY from London City Airport via Shannon airport. I make the assumption that the agent would want to make as few stops as possible because each landing would incur a fee. Whether they use that route or not I don't know but the type can make the journey when empty.

Andrew

3465nm in still air. That leaves very little reserve if there's head wind. I should imagine they would make a stop somewhere along the route though where is anyone's guess? What you alos need to consider is the BA service from city to to NYC is a exclusive business-class service with 32 buisness class seats, so not really your run of the mill A318, that's bordering on CJ territory ;)

if it was cost effective, and that what the scrappers will want, you would see the likes of Easy Jet and O'Leary's lot flying there on a regular service.

If I had my way I'd fly O'Leary's fleet to the scrapyard immediately. :glare_s: But that's just a personal opinion and does not reflect the opinions of aerosoft or any of its employees.

Archived