Aircraft arriving via STAR for wrong runway!

I am operating Sydney, Australia (YSSY), although I suspect this problem would relate to any airport?

I have selected Runway 16R for arrivals, yet many aircraft seem to be arriving on a STAR for another runway. The waypoints showing on the aircraft strips for these arriving aircraft are waypoints used on STARS for other runways (ie not a STAR for runway 16R). In that case, for these arriving aircraft, the STAR followed by that aircraft causes more trouble than it is worth. It would actually be better with no STAR at all, that to have one where the aircraft heads for the wrong runway. Is that how it works in real life?

Edit - Oh dear, I am a bit embarrassed here. I just did not understand how a STAR works. I can see now that a STAR does not necessarily take an aircraft to a position to commence an approach. That is our job as Controllers!

Apologies to the GATC Developers for implying a flaw in the system.

Archived