Help! Building a custom FSX Gaming PC 2014

Hello everybody,

This is my first ever post so apologies if i have made any mistakes in the way I have posted this.

I am a dedicated FSX enthusiast and so I am looking to build my own custom FSX gaming pc. I would appreciate it if i could have some feedback regarding the components I have chosen so far.

My target is to achieve around 30-45fps constantly in highly detailed scenery/airports and Aircraft as I use a lot of pay ware airports and VFR scenery as well as pay ware aircraft such as the PMDG 777.

I have found a gaming bundle called ""Quasar 245i" Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz Overclocked Haswell Gaming PC Bundle". (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=BU-159-OE)

Below is what it consists of:

CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K overclocked to 4.4GHz
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
RAM
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
Cooling
Prolimatech Panther Premier CPU Cooler

And I was looking at a:
Graphics Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 WindForce 2X 2048MB GDDR5

Hey there mosz,

you may want to look into a new gen gpu something like a 760-770.

Another thing that concerns me is that on their website the i7 4770k overclocked to 4.4ghz is a profile, so I dont know wheter those chips come overclocked or you can enable the oc profile leaving you with the million dollar question; is you chip capable of reaching such speeds?

Adding to that I really think that running your haswell cpu at 4.4ghz with the prolimatech cooler will most certainly damage your chip as such high overclock will be in need of more powerfull cooling solutions if I were you I would buy all components separatly

This is my opinion good luck ! If you neednany help dont hesistate to ask ;)

Hey there mosz,

you may want to look into a new gen gpu something like a 760-770.

Another thing that concerns me is that on their website the i7 4770k overclocked to 4.4ghz is a profile, so I dont know wheter those chips come overclocked or you can enable the oc profile leaving you with the million dollar question; is you chip capable of reaching such speeds?

Adding to that I really think that running your haswell cpu at 4.4ghz with the prolimatech cooler will most certainly damage your chip as such high overclock will be in need of more powerfull cooling solutions if I were you I would buy all components separatly

This is my opinion good luck ! If you neednany help dont hesistate to ask ;)

Hi there,

Thanks for replying. The CPU comes already overclocked to 4.4ghz

I will take the Graphics card recommendation into account. which would you recommend, the GTX 760 or 770?

Hi there,

Thanks for replying. The CPU comes already overclocked to 4.4ghz

I will take the Graphics card recommendation into account. which would you recommend, the GTX 760 or 770?

The 770 comes in for about 50 to 60 bucks higher than the 760, performance vise the 770 easily beats the 760.

I recommend getting the EVGA Gtx 770 superclocked w/acx cooler. There is an 2gb version and an 4gb version.

The 2gb version is comming in at about 359 ,and the 4gig version can be aquired for about 50 bucks more.

The 2gb version is totally fine, but if you want to go the extra mile the 4gb version at 409bucks is the way to go

Hope this helps :)

Fabien

Thanks BrunnerPCs,

Can anyone recommend a complete build from scratch or should i stick with what I have chosen already with the upgraded GTX 770? my budget is within £700

I would however build it from scratch selecting your own components.

I agree with this, the money you save on their labor will allow you to spend a little more here and there on better components (and even a few more Aerosoft addons :P:lol: )

I agree with this, the money you save on their labor will allow you to spend a little more here and there on better components (and even a few more Aerosoft addons :P:lol: )

I do believe this bundle only includes the cpu ram mobo and cooler, so he is building it himself!

I would buy an SSD of at least 500GB but that might get expensive though. I would however build it from scratch selecting your own components.

Good luck!

Could you recommend some components for me please?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Could you recommend some components for me please?

I'm using the Samsung evo pro 840 series and it's not the most expensive and best one but it sure does the job. And like Mathijs said, the rest sounds fine as long as you go liquid/water cooled :)

I'm using the Samsung evo pro 840 series and it's not the most expensive and best one but it sure does the job. And like Mathijs said, the rest sounds fine as long as you go liquid/water cooled :)

Too bad I can't find that picture of a PC with a fishtank in it anymore... it was the true deffinition of "water cooled" :lol:

you list of components is fine, just add a Samsung SSD, as big as your wallet allows.

Thanks everybody, Appreciate the feedback.

I have since come across this new CPU. It is the 8 core AMD Piledriver FX 9590 which runs at 4.7ghz standard and 5.0ghz turbo boost. Would this be a better option because of its clock speed?

(http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-360-AM)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks everybody, Appreciate the feedback.

I have since come across this new CPU. It is the 8 core AMD Piledriver FX 9590 which runs at 4.7ghz standard and 5.0ghz turbo boost. Would this be a better option because of its clock speed?

(http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-360-AM)

I personaly would go for intel but that's my opinion. As far as my experience goes, and I only have been doing this for 5 years, AMD and FSX aren't best buddies but intel however handles FSX way better.

I have used intel in the past and AMD as well but I prefer intel in the end.

Just an advice on the SSD:

Go for the Crucial M500 SSD. Cheaper then the Samsung ones, and better quality (longer life span). If you dont believe it, just figure out the difference between TLC and MLC...

Archived