CumulusX and ASN initial tests

HarryO

Happy new year to you Peter!

Still enjoying CumulusX.

I have tried the new Active Sky Next (ASN) with CumulusX. The combination seems to be working well if I disable updraft/downdrafts in ASN. The ASN weather generation is a big improvement on AS2012. They seem to be incrementally controlling the wind shifts which is not upsetting the glider. I was suspicious that the enhanced turbulence effects with ASN would interfere with CumulusX own turbulence effects but so far it appears not to be the case (I don't know why because I thought that bumping the aircraft could only be done by one program in Simconnect).

Will try and turn off ASN next flight and find out whether CumulusX or ASN is generating some of these nice enhanced turbulence effects (like rotor behind the slope) that I haven't experienced so much before.

Anyway, lots of options, lots of fun.

Cheers all the best for 2014

Happy new year to you, Harry, and to all readers of the CumulusX! board.

Indeed, I was also curiously looking on the feature list of ASN, and I'm tempted to upgrade my license, too, to check for compatibility. Anyway, interesting to read about your findings.

Indeed, CumulusX! does some lee-side turbulence, too, while I won't go as far, as to call it a rotor (yet).

Cheers, and happy flying in 2014

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi,

unfortunately it is not possible to use REX textures for the CumulusX! clouds. CumulusX! clouds are totally separate from the native FSX sky depiction, because CumulusX! needs full control on their precise timing, location, altitude etc. This is not possible with the FSX cloud system. Alas, the CumulusX! cloud textures can be replaced as the textures of any other FSX object. Since CumulusX! clouds are fully 3D objects, rather than sprites, like the FSX native clouds, their textures have to fulfill different requirements in order to show reasonable.

Cheers,

Peter

• 1 month later...

SirBenn it would be nice. They integrate pretty well already (good enough). I think ASN still tends to reset CumulusX thermals when the weather is updated, but since the update rate can be decreased to once an hour it is really not too annoying (and I'm not even 100% sure ASN does reset the thermals). In AS2012 (Hifi's previous product), CumulusX thermals would reset more frequently and it was annoying which caused me to switch to OpusFSX and then ASN.

There is something we should test and report back on. ASN adds terrain based turbulence (enhanced turbulence setting) which complements CumulusX turbulence. It actually seems to increase the realism to me...The problem might be that on a perfectly shaped slope somewhere in the world where there is beautifully smooth slope lift, it would be nice to find out if ASN is pushing the terrain based turbulence too far to be realistic. On some slopes, the gliders path in the lift would be very smooth, but does ASN understand this? Wind based turbulence can be controlled with a slider in ASN, but not enhanced turbulence.

Cheers and enjoy Easter!

Hi Harry,

thanks for the information. As you know, I have ASX2012, but didn't made an attempt yet to upgrade, sounds interesting though. Anyway, I'm pretty occupied with real business at the time.

best wishes for Easter in return,

Peter

Archived