Taxi power

stumar

Hi

I just got the twin otter, it is truly amazing!

However, The power required to taxi is way too much! To get it rolling even when empty with hardly any fuel takes bout 30psi torque and the props are at max govn!!

I taxi this aircraft in real life as my job as a maintenance engineer, it takes little power to get rollling, in fact your in and out of beta to save riding the brakes and letting get away from you!

One other thing i noticed is the prop rpm gauge. The single unit needle (the small one) does not agree with the main needle. I had 75 set on the main needle but the small needle was reading 8, it should be reading the 5.

Regards

Stuart

Ground behaviour and friction in FSX has always been wrong, this is not related to the Twin Otter alone.

If You use FSUIPC You can somewhat fix it.

Regarding the Prop RPM gauge...

I have taken a look on it and it rather shows 75.5 on the large needle when the small needle is at 5, but I guess that in real life such a gauge isn´t 100% accurate either (I´m a calibration technician in real life, so I´m working with that kind of instruments daily).

Note that each division on the large scale is 2%.

Finn

• 2 weeks later...

Don't pay for anything use FSUIPC to set the friction. Just search "friction" in the FSUIPC forum and you should find how to do it. I did it ages ago and most aircraft taxi on idle thrust now. Sometimes it may take a little throttle to get rolling if your loaded up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Deputy Sheriffs

Don't pay for anything use FSUIPC to set the friction. Just search "friction" in the FSUIPC forum and you should find how to do it. I did it ages ago and most aircraft taxi on idle thrust now. Sometimes it may take a little throttle to get rolling if your loaded up.

I wouldn't say that. The payware mentioned above obviously allows individual profiles for different aircraft. All other tweaks work globally, and this might have unwanted side effects to other aircraft. I experienced this with the AXE, which was taxiing much to fast when using this tweak.

I wouldn't say that. The payware mentioned above obviously allows individual profiles for different aircraft. All other tweaks work globally, and this might ave unwanted side effects to other aircraft. I experinced this with the AXE, which was taxiing much to fast when using this tweak.

I thought that myself with the AXE and a couple of other aircraft but apparently it's not actually that inaccurate so I've been informed. So I was told by a pilot (I don't know them so don't know if they are or not) most modern jets you have to keep the taxi speed under control with the brakes or it will run away to quite high speeds.

I thought that myself with the AXE and a couple of other aircraft but apparently it's not actually that inaccurate so I've been informed. So I was told by a pilot (I don't know them so don't know if they are or not) most modern jets you have to keep the taxi speed under control with the brakes or it will run away to quite high speeds.

It depends a very lot on your actual weight. At light weights you are most often right and you need the brakes to prevent the aircraft from becoming to fast, however if you got a fully loaded MD11, 747 or 777 (or others!) it will for sure not taxy with IDLE thrust.

It depends a very lot on your actual weight. At light weights you are most often right and you need the brakes to prevent the aircraft from becoming to fast, however if you got a fully loaded MD11, 747 or 777 (or others!) it will for sure not taxy with IDLE thrust.

Yes I was being a bit too general in how I put it. I find the FSUIPC fix manages this well. I am currently doing a flight from EGLL-KSFO in the PMDG 747 and as you say she wouldn't budge without a little throttle and at heavy weights would stop rolling if thrust set to idle. Also other aircraft like the AXE Airbus may still start rolling if loaded up but not half as fast as when empty.

So although some may want to buy FPS Fictionality in my personal opinion it would be much better spent on/put towards something else (i.e that new scenery/aircraft you've wanted for a while) as there is already a free fix for this problem, even if it's not quite perfect.

Also FSX has so many flaws underneath in its code you are never going to get a fix that works perfectly all the time. This is why the latest add-ons tend to take the core simulation away from FSX and run outside, using FSX as mostly a visual output.

Thanks everyone for posting your views.

I had purchased Fsuipc but not familier with this software.

See what i had got from Invisionfree:-

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Bushpounders_Flying/ar/t1873.htm

FSUIPC registered:
Copy file "DynamicFriction.lua" in FSX\Modules
In "FSUIPC4.ini" enter:
[Auto]
1=Lua DynamicFriction

- Save "FSUIPC4.ini"

But i don't know from where to get this "Lua Dynamic Friction.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Aditya

An easier fix with FSUIPC is simply to add this line to the [General] section:

patchsim1friction=Yes

The Lua version is more advanced and can be tweaked, but the above fix isn´t bad either and can be used for all aircraft, wheras I think the Lua version might not fit all kind of aircraft.

Finn

Thanks Finn,

Earlier i added this "patchsim1friction=Yes" in .ini file but i have not seen any difference or may be very slightly. Else may be i have gone wrong somewhere?

I checked with Twin Otter Extended.

Aditya

Hi elfynh,

I checked with LUA dynamic friction but its not working.

How about with your twin otter extended, is it working?

Its also not working with "patchsim1friction=Yes", i had specially invested my hard money for Fsuipc to overcome this friction error but that to fail.

Aditya

Hi elfynh,

I checked with LUA dynamic friction but its not working.

How about with your twin otter extended, is it working?

Its also not working with "patchsim1friction=Yes", i had specially invested my hard money for Fsuipc to overcome this friction error but that to fail.

Aditya

I can only recommend that you check it again. I am no computer expert. All I did was install the lua module in the right place and edit the .ini file as it said in the instructions and it worked first time.

Have you removed the "patchsim1friction=Yes" as it may be conflicting.

I don't have the twin otter installed so I can't check it on mine for you I'm afraid. If I get the time to dig it out and can find my key I will give it a go.

Also have you tried it at different places. I have found at a couple of airports on being Heathrow there are a couple of spots on taxiways that seem to have extra friction with or without the fix. I think it must be the airport settings rather than the plane or fsx.

elfynh, i am using Thai Creations - Namaste Mumbai Airport. I had checked with default aircraft C208 and payware Carenado C208.

Both start rotating with very little throttle. Yes i am sure i had first checked with LUA Dyanamic Friction and adding [Auto] 1=Lua DynamicFriction in fsuipc.ini but did not worked with twin otter extended.

So i removed the above entries from Fsuipc.ini files and added what finn has stated "patchsim1friction=Yes", this also did not worked for me.

Default aircraft C208 and payware Carenado C208 worked fine with both. I don't think its a scenery issue.

Aditya

I would contact support for the twin otter. Explaining your problems. As it may be something there. If the fix works with other aircraft then it is working full stop. It's not specific to aircraft or type. I believe it's a generic fix that works on FSX itself rather than the aircraft.

I would contact support for the twin otter. Explaining your problems. As it may be something there. If the fix works with other aircraft then it is working full stop. It's not specific to aircraft or type. I believe it's a generic fix that works on FSX itself rather than the aircraft.

Not sure how contacting support is going to do anything as Finn is the actual developer of the product.

Other developers were able to overcome some of these limitations, I am wondering whether aerosoft would be willing to look into some of these methods for the Twin Otter? This aircraft moves on a dime and it is such a spoiler to have to apply so much thrust just to get moving as if it were a heavy 747.

Update - The "patchsim1friction=Yes" suggestion actually works. The handling on the ground has improved a bit.

Nice to hear

Regarding fixing the friction, those addons where the friction seems fixed are sold at a much higher price, most often cause alot of the dynamics are calculated around FSX.

For a project like the Twin Otter, this has never been considered, not will it on similar projects.

Finn

Nice to hear

Regarding fixing the friction, those addons where the friction seems fixed are sold at a much higher price, most often cause alot of the dynamics are calculated around FSX.

For a project like the Twin Otter, this has never been considered, not will it on similar projects.

Finn

Mine is not working, i don't know why?

Today i have checked every default aircraft, every aircraft start rotating with a very little throttle including Sibwings An-2 & Carenado C208B. I have also checked the Fuel Planner but i don't feel FuelPlanner is affecting friction.

Aditya

Archived