300 Ski & Wheels – Taxi on Snow

nmurray

No problems experienced on a clear runway but when starting on runway covered with ice or snow (example in Antarctica) it seems Idle Power (F1) produces forward thrust and the Twin Otter moves forward.
It requires much fine adjustment with F2 and F3 to affect a complete stop due to the turbine surge.
On a clear (snow or ice free) runway the wheel brakes work so this is not a problem but with snow or ice there seems to be very little friction produced by braking and this may be realistic but it still leaves the problem of getting things under control when starting a new flight.
I am sure someone mastered this under testing so any tips/help will be welcome.

Have you tried feathering the props? As the engines turn they will produce a bit of thrust even when they are in IDLE. This is normal and you can notice this even in real world.

Emi,

Thank you for your reply and I will give it a try with feathering the propellers.

The problem is that when starting a flight at a snow covered runway you are already moving so the first problem is to get stopped.
I do not think it has anything to do with my controls setup as I have tried to eliminate this by just using F1, F2 and F3.
I have eventually managed (after a fashion) by using the F2 and F3 to bring the situation under control but this is extremely ‘fiddly’, taxi oscillates between reverse and forward (and turbine surge only exaggerates the situation). It is almost like the runway is completely friction free, which may be realistic for glass-ice but I doubt this for hard packed snow.
I have not noticed this problem with the float plane or amphibian, it is normally relative easy to come to a complete stop with adjustment using F2 and F3, and this is also a low friction environment.
Incidentally, the foot brakes (differential brakes) do seem to make a very slight difference in this situtation but is could be my imagination.
Perhaps I just need to practice more.
I was mainly interested to hear if others had experienced a similar problem and I wasn’t alone.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I was mainly interested to hear if others had experienced a similar problem and I wasn’t alone.

Hi,

I feel with you, I have the same problems. ;)

According to Finn the problem is the bad way FSX/P3D handles snow and ice, and there was nothing he could do to improve it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

It's not unlike the same issue on floats. I suggest staring with the start locks on when on ice/snow for the same reason you do so on the water.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I forgot about that, Finn. Thanks for the correction.

It's back to a fine hand on the power levers working the beta band when on the ice and snow. It's even rewarding when you get the touch.

Archived