Wishlist: New X-Plane 10+ functions

Hello,

I am always being asked for new X-Plane 10+ features and functions. This from our X-Plane 10 users and from our productmanagers...
So i will open a "wish list " here.

Our product manager are in direct contact with Laminar Research and are interested in such " ideas".
There will be always re- start discussions with Laminar Research ....

The wishes should not involved airport or aircraft wishes. This is a part of the addon developer.
And please post no wishes for bug fixes ... They are processed as part of the updates...

The wishes shall be new or improved functions and features, that should be present in future versions of X-Plane 10/11
For example, the ability to create easily your own weather and save the weather for later use...
or to store joystick-settings in an aircraft-specific way... etc etc. ..

I would then collect these wishes and ideas and share in aggregate form with our product managers and management.
That would be a good and compact wire to Laminar Research, and us (Aerosoft). So i think, this would give us a chance to shape the X-Plane 10/11 a little bit ...

So, just post your ideas and wishes .... Maybe one or the other wish will be considered.

Greets Heinz Flichtbeil

Hi Heinz,

My wish is to have the ability to save multiple joystick profiles in X-Plane. I have 2 joysticks, a simple one and a very complicated one. There are times that I want to use my simple one, but I have to go to reassign all the buttons to work, but then I will lost the assignments of my complicated one. Which real takes a lot of time to reassign.

I think that might concern many people with complicated rigs, to have that ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Heinz

This wish is not towards LR and core XP10, but directed more towards your add-on devs. I'd love to see more life on the airports.
So AES for XP10 would be awesome. Or including marginals GroundTraffic and AutoGates in your MegaSceneries would be just brilliant.

Cheers
Nazze

In my opinion xplane needs a few more things.

-More airport scenerys, I did some conversions of FSX scenerys and most of them did work out great. But some of them just don't convert well. If you could get cooperation from the FSX devs to port over these scenerys it would make it a hole other sim!

-A more user friendly UI.

-A realistic GPS where you could enter Fpl and change them. Something like a GNS430 but with more features then we now have.

-Better and clearer ground textures.

-More realistic autogen scenery. The AutoGen shows tall buildings to often where they are not present in real life.

-Ground mesh needs some work to imop. When you look at mountains you see alot of sharp corners and lines.

If some of these things get implemented it would be make xplane so much better then it already is.

Thanks for giving the community a voice!

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards,

Jorik

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Hello,

thanks for your posts...

In January 2014 there will be discussions with Laminar Research.

So i can build a list (PDF) from your ideas for our productmanagers...

I think, i will do it in the early january days.

So you have time to post more ideas.....

You may also post ideas that have already been posted.

Then I can arrange the ideas in order of importance.

Greets

Heinz

With all the new custom scenery being developed it would be helpful if the Local Map window would show the airports in your custom scenery folder indicated with a different colour. That way when looking at the Local Map you could at a glance see where you have custom scenery installed without having to open your custom scenery folder and then try to pick out those airports on the Local Map.

This is my list:

- Hardware tessellation support.

- Multi-monitor support. Today the options we have are to A) run multiple instances of X-Plane on the same computer, B ) use multiple, separate computers or C) use a very unrealistic wide FOV and trick the computer to think that the multiple attached displays are a big monitor with a hardware solution.

- Improvements to weather: winds aloft, moving clouds and weather systems (today, weather conditions change abruptly).

- Improvements to water rendering: color, transparency, depth.

- Improvements to FMS: full SID/STAR support; integration with NavDataPro and Navigraph AIRACs in addition to X-Plane's own data; file flight plan to AI ATC from FMS (instead of typing it by hand).

- improvements to visibility at high altitudes - today, the horizon is just a big blur.

- An extensible, stable network protocol for communication with external instruments and plugins. X-Plane's current UDP protocol implementation changes with every release and is not extensible to support exchange of data that's not built in - so that forces anybody who is serious about integrating external instruments to it to use plugins. The problem is, more and more of the instruments out there require some kind of network integration (ex: XHSI, AirTrack, iGMapHD, XPCDU). And because of that, each of them installs their own network protocol - which only add overhead and reduce interoperability. Ideally, XP's SDK could have functions to allow developers to register data refs whose values they would like to broadcast to the network; similarly, they could register a function that would take action on any packet coming from the network directed to their plugin. Broadcasting the info and passing any incoming data to the plugins would be handled by XP's own network socket so there would always be only ONE socket server running on a single XP instance.

- Wx radar dataref to allow developers to plot cloud formations accurately, in remote apps that simulate ND/MFD like XHSI, AirTrack or iGMapHD.

- Improvements to UI: local map as floating window.

- Ability for developers to register datarefs they would like XP to record for accurate replays.

The more I read on several forum the more I see complains about the lack of a good interactive ATC and traffic AI.

Lot of people write "graphics are now good, airports becoming more and more detailed, aircrafts addon on par of the best FSX payware product but AI planes and ATC not realistic to convince me to jump on board".

The only traffic addon looks not intuitive and limited.

I think this should be the most revised feature at code level of the next version of XP.

I've been using x-plane only a few days now. With a background in both General Aviation and computers here are some issues that I noticed right away:

• While the flying simulation and customization are very good, the UI to change things is poor...way below modern standards. So I'd like to see a lot of effort to improve the UI. For instance, suppose I want to change a couple of joystick buttons, the aircraft, and location. I move the mouse to the screen top, the menu bar appears, I click on Settings, select Joysticks & Equipment, make the change, and want to save it...how? Oh, it's the two X buttons. That's counter-intuitive, usually X means to kill something without saving. OK, I do that, and all the menus disappear and I have to move the mouse to the screen top again, etc. etc. So: make the menu system much easier to use and more obvious how to do things.
  • In the many settings for joystick and keyboard right now everything is a radio button. There should be checkbox buttons for "Toggle", "On", "Off", etc. That would allow more options while considerably reducing the number of buttons displayed. And, why not have every button be a checkbox? That way a single key or joystick button could do multiple actions.
  • It's not at all obvious how to save new settings permanently (not just for the session). I think they're saved when you exit X-Plane, but why is that necessary? (I'm not referring to saving a situation or replay). There should be an obvious Save Settings button.
  • It takes a couple of minutes on start to load X-Plane. That's OK, but because it's not seconds, I don't like to kill the program when I'm done. But if I simply minimize the X-Plane window, it keeps consuming CPU. Why? It's not doing anything! Make X-Plane suspend when it's minimized (iconized) like every other Windows program.
  • The PDF manual is somewhat out of date. For instance, in trying to change the RV-9 experimental aircraft from a tailwheel to nosewheel, I came across something called "eagle claw, leg length" in the landing gear options. But the manual had nothing about "eagle claw". Update the manual to latest X-Plane software.
  • I'd really like to see some of the popular non-certificated glass panels created: Dynon, GRT, etc. Round gages are last-century!
  • Some airports aren't correct. For instance KDWA has the runway and taxiway swapped. Are these created or editable by users?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My whish list :

- better ATC (IFR and VFR)

- better AI planes : no more 747 landing on a small field please :-)

- better UI : bigger buttons or text fields and nicer look and feel. For example : the weather window : too much information and very small button to change the clouds altitude

- improved startup screen from which we can choose all we need : airplane (and livery), airport (and parking slot), exact time and date, weather (downloaded or user defined)

- improved weather (no abrupt changes, local weathers, ...)

- more finished default planes : all provided airplanes should have 3d cockpit and good textures (I don't request high quality as payware add-ons :-) )

- local map : as a floatting windows (not pausing the sim)

- better look for building and city graphics

- split the option 'deers and birds' hazard (I don't remember the exact words). I just need 'birds' and with the option to choose the probability would be nice. Deers is nice on some small aiports but is not .. plausible on most of the airports

Guillaume

Hello,

thank's for your ideas here...

in the middle of january 2014 our productmanager and company director (Winfried Diekmann) will fly to Laminar Research to speak about the next steps for X-Plane 10/11...

So your ideas are very welcome.

Thank you all again and have a fine Christmas time...

Heinz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Desaix,

our Productmanagers are here in Germany again.

But i think it takes some time to sort out all things....

News i will post here....

Greets

Heinz

Hello Desaix,

our Productmanagers are here in Germany again.

But i think it takes some time to sort out all things....

News i will post here....

Greets

Heinz

Thank you Heinz, "to sort out all things" sounds like there is much to deal with :glare_s:

It looks promising...

I would like to see the following in X Plane 10:

- Convert the current US Cities series over to X Plane 10 and make more so we have a few good cities to fly into.

- Make some good Aerosoft quality US hubs such as KLAX, KLAS, KORD, KJFK, KPHX.

- Have Laminar fix the cloud white-out issue so we don't have to buy other products such as Sky Maxx Pro!

Hello,

here is a little feedback from our journey to Laminar Research.

This list we have had in our luggage :) :

Raindrops on the aircraft windows
Better cloud textures (something like REX or ActiveSky)
No shader problem “Grey wall of death”
Better looking weather ground effects
Snowfall without a thunderstorm
A better weather injection
Smooth transitions between different METARs
The possibility to choose between the weather sources (NOAA, Vatsim)
Water color variation (tropical water, lakes, oceans)
More effects such as smoke from power stations
Small rivers without the beach texture
More POIs inside the default scenery (statue of liberty, Red Square, Big Ben, etc.)
New scenery libraries (with European content)
A better auto generated ground layout (Forest, Towns, Landclasses...)
An easy to use system for the scenery system sortation
A better shadow quality (also new OpenGL Features)
Seasons (the most important season is Winter -> over shader technology)
A bigger visibility range (e.g. flying on FL 350)
A more complex ATC
Not only “you are off-course”
ATC for VFR Flights
A better AI traffic
AI traffic with real routes
Pushback for AI Planes
AI parks on the right position
A better GPS (like Garmin 430/530 or Bendix)
A better default FMC
Possibility to update the NavData via NavDataPro
Mouse Wheel for the knobs
A better air space structure
A better replay function (moving cars, wingflex etc.)
Multi Monitor support
A better UI (maybe over Scaleform)
A better selection of the airports (selection via Country, City etc.)
8way Coolie Hat function
Startup Screen with more functions (livery, airport, Gate, weather, time)
The possibility to save the joystick configuration for every airplane
Correct time zones
Correct moonrise and set

All this Features where discussed. Many of them are in the To Do List.

They will be implemented in the further Updates, but perhaps only from the X-Plane 11 run...

And there is a new Particle System in the Roadmap (for developers). See here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/01/a-new-particle-system-is-in-the-roadmap/

Greets

Heinz

Hello,

clouds are an issue...

And some features can be well contained only in XP11.
Thus, on XP11 was spoken....
But a detailed "roadmap" I can not provide here :) That is too uncertain...
Greets
Heinz

Hello.

Great wishlist pruposed.

Regarding the weather engine injection. I hope you included the weather at upper levels, because currectly we only have metar.

Also, i don't know how it is on real because i don't have real world flying experience, but currently on x-plane is very difficult to

control the airplane when there's variable wind or turbulence.

Regarding flight dynamics, for example using Jardesign A320, i have some kind of torque and bumping on takeoff. Don't know if this happens with other jets as i only have this one.

Regards,

Galaio

• 1 year later...

Archived