Take off trim?

Timmy74

Hi Guys,

How much elevator trim do you use for take off?

I am finding of late that I must use at least -50 "nose down" trim to stop my Twotter from going vertical on take off!!?? I am sure it never needed this much before.

Would this be correct?

Cheers.

Tim...

Sounds wrong.

Did You check Your loadout ?

Normally I don´t touxh elevator trime or only set it slightly nose up. Rudder trim should be set to the T.O mark, though not doing so won´t hurt.

Finn

Hello Finn,

Thank you for your reply. I thought as much. So i will do a reinstall of the Twotter and see if that fixes my issue.

I am not sure what you mean by "loadout"? But i have had the aircraft empty (except pilot and copilot), and with 33% fuel and she still needs -50 nose down trim....

Cheers.

Tim...

Hi Tim,

Are you using FSX or P3D?

Is it only with the Twin Otter that you have this problem?

Hello Eric,

I am using FSX only. Yes it is only the twotter that is doing this.

I have re-installed her and am still getting this issue.

Kind regards.

Tim...

I do have the same issue. Using P3D, latest Twotter version.

Regardless of using Saitek X52 (elevator trim assigned to Axis 5, different settings for sensitivity and null zone tried) or just the default "U" and "J" keys (assignment to X52 axis deleted) my twotter wants to be a rocket.. I had a similar issue with the Katana 4X but I could solve the issue there by using other settings for sensitivity and null zone on my X52.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Alex

I really have no idea on how to solve this.

We have serveral beta tester running the Twin Otter in P3D with no issue.

The Twin otter uses standard FSX settings for trim, both in the flight model files and in the coding.

Be 100% sure that You use the default loadout.

Unassign any axis that is assigned to elevator trim and use key presses instead.

Only other solution would be to play with the line marked here in red, but it might jeopardize other things in the flight model and we cannot support such changes:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
empty_weight = 6850 // 6850 = Seats Installed, 6500 = Freight
max_gross_weight = 12500
empty_weight_pitch_moi = 18782
empty_weight_roll_moi = 12419
empty_weight_yaw_moi = 31388
empty_weight_coupled_moi = 1600
reference_datum_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
empty_weight_cg_position = -0.730, 0.000, 0.000

Try to make that value bigger like -0.830 and see what happens.

Finn

Hi Finn,

thanks for your quick reply. Dont like the idea of playing around with the flight model settings.

After some further tests I think that this is not really a twotter related issue. Although it was the only (non-default) plane affected in my hangar... :confused_s: After removing X52 from P3D completely and deinstalling Saitek's USB drivers, the default "Trim up" and "Trim down" buttons finally worked just fine.

I think I'll need to check my USB configuration and/or try FSUIPC for the X52.

Cheers,

ayam47

Thank you too Finn for your reply.

I have done a few things but seem to not be able to rectify my issue. I know when I first got the Twotter I did not need to touch the trim much at all.....

Oh well I guess I will just have to live with it.

Kind regards.

Tim...

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have done a few things but seem to not be able to rectify my issue. I know when I first got the Twotter I did not need to touch the trim much at all.....

Oh well I guess I will just have to live with it.

Tim,

For troubleshooting purposes, what happens when you disconnect your hardware controls?

If that solves the problem, reconnect one by one and test each time. Besides driver updates and calibration of the controls, I would look for unexpected (automatic) assignments of buttons or axes.

Archived