Windows XP Upgrade?

Curtis Jarrett

I'm seeing that there are a lot of addons requiring Windows XP to work properly. I'm still using Windows 2000. Seems an upgrade to Windows XP is cheaper than a new Win XP OS. Would this "upgrade" be just as good for use with the new payware coming out requiring it. Thanks for any input. Has anyone taken this route?

Curtis

The update gives you the exact same OS as the full version.

You just need the CD of a qualifying Microsoft product to upgrade (or install it over the old Windows, which I don't recommend).

You might be able to get a full OEM version online, they are even cheaper than the upgrade I believe. Usually online dealers ship these versions without systems, although they're not supposed to.

The only difference between a retail install of the OS and an OEM version is you only get support on the machine it is originally installed on, whereas a retail version can be installed an any machine (theoretically)

As long as it's not a pirated copy MS still supports it.

More here

http://compreviews.about.com/od/general/a/OEM.htm

I'd suggest a full version rather than an upgrade over 2000, save yourself some headaches.