how to taxi?

Skkuda

Hello everyone!

I really need help, tips, wich gauge to look at etc on how to correctly manage this beauty and not overpower the engines so I can get a nice taxi procedure.

Most of the time I feel frustrated in the way she behaves and seems to get out of control.

If the solution is RTFM I will understand any angry answer ;-)

Cheers

Skuda,

The TOE can be a handful to manage on taxi. You must increase the power to allow the turbines to build power to start it moving and then quickly back down the power to prevent it from accelerating and getting out of control. Watch the upper two gauges, torque pressure I believe, and generally maintain them around 10% once she is rolling. A bit of trial and error. At least that is what works for me.

Rick

Have to agree with Rick. To start out, do it nice and easy. Slowly bring your throttles forward, let the props spin up and torque spin up, until you get moving. If you want a visual aid, you can bring up the GPS, and monitor your ground speed. Just take 20 minutes and taxi around any airport. As you do more, you'll get used to it and find the sweet spot for taxiing.

I agree with Rick, but it is very difficult to hold a taxi speed. I have to use the brake during taxiing to avoid increasing speed although touque is less than 10%. If I reduce torque even more the Twin Otter will stop. But as Kyle said I get used to it and taxiing around can be done by this methode.

On the other side manual vol 2 page 8 we read:

Beta modes allows much faster control of the thrust. Due to the slow response to throttle setting changes in turbo engines it is very impractical to use the throttle to control movement on the ground. You would have to wait for the gas generator to spin up (Ng increase), providing more torque through the power turbine (PT) increasing the prop RPM (Np). The prop CS governor would then tell the pitch control unit (PCU) to increase the prop pitch and then you would get additional power. In beta mode, you change the pitch first instead using the inertia in the propeller system to provide thrust, letting the Ng accelerate or decelerate in response to Np to keep Np constant.

So I wonder if were is another handling for taxiing around? I tried, but could not manage taxiing in beta mode.

Regards, Bernhard

Archived