Transition Altitude at UK is Usually Wrong

Huiming

People, try to take off from EGKK. The correct transition alt is 6000 feet. The airbus also shows it's 6000 in init page. However, when you take off, the first officer will call out "transition altitude" and set BARO to STD at 5000 feet.

When you manually set 6000 again in the init page of MCDU before take off, the FO will call out and set BARO at 6000 feet.

This must be a bug.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Sorry, I mean in performance page.

Could you please send us your complete FPLAN from EGKK to ....... so we are able to reproduce the issue? Thanks.

Regards,

Hanse

Could you please send us your complete FPLAN from EGKK to ....... so we are able to reproduce the issue? Thanks.

Regards,

Hanse

I checked the problem again. I found if when you are planning your flight and set the landing airport transition altitude in the performance page, then the problem appears. For example,

1. I am in EGLL. The TA is 6000 feet.

2. I am flying to EFHK. The TA is 5000 feet.

3. I set the CDMU when I am in EGLL. I set the TA for the landing airport (which is EFHK) at EGLL by CDMU.

4. Then the problem appears, both TA's have been set according to your landing airport (i.e., 5000 feet in this case).

5. When you are airborne, the FO will callout TA at 5000 feet in UK.

6. This might not only happen in UK airports.

Thanks all.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This means that there is no problem with the Checklist- and Copilot functions if you set the TransAlt for the departure airport on the MCDU PERF TAKEOFF page and the TransAlt for the destination airport on the MCDU PERF APPR page.......

Hanse

Huiming's post is about the destination's TL (FL050, 5.000 ft in Airbus notation) to be called out when climbing away from the departure airport. (Callout should be at departure's TA/6.000 ft, but instead it's at destination's TL/FL050).

(Airbus calling the TL a "second TA" doesn't help explaining things, either. :mallet_s: )

TA is relevant for Departure while TL is published for Arrival. I would not know of any SOP that requires a TL call-out. Altimeter setting is changed from STD to local QNH when receiving the FIRST DESCENT CLEARANCE to an ALTITUDE. Nobody really cares for the TL. I have never used it within almost 40 years of aviation - quite contrary to TA of course. In that respect any checklist point covering this item is useless or nonsense - whatever you prefer :D... The only checklist item that would relate to TL would be the check for proper QNH set on both altimeters. But even that can be omitted as it is pure SOP. Nevertheless the FMGC of course need a figure to trigger the flashing STD/QNH alert. As far as I have seen in all operations the TA is used. There is of course also a reason far that: while TA is a fixed value in most FIRs TL is variable (QNH dependent) and only broadcasted in the ATIS. Therefore TL is not included in the ARINC database.

Oskar

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi guys,

the AXE is only working with one TA (Airbus even calls the TL = TA) and uses the last one entered. So if you enter the "departure" TA and also already at departure the TA on the PERF APPR page, this value overwrites the previous value. This is the explanation what happened. So as I already wrote if you enter the TA just before descent on the PERF APPR page everything works fine.

The question is (and this can only answered by a real Airbus pilot) what is the SOP in this case. Is the TA (or TL) already entered at departure or just before descent? There are a lot of logic reasons speaking for filling out the PERF APPR page "before descent":

• ALTN might be used
  • QNH, TEMP as well as winds might have changed

Working in the AXE with two different TA's would mean a major change and I doubt that this change will be put on a "high" position in our priory list.

Regards,

Hanse

• 2 weeks later...

Archived