Step climb on NAT Track?

Why would you not want to stepclimb on an oceanic track?

Because usually you will not get a step climb approved on a NAT.

Thats what we teach at our airline, no step climbs along the NATs. In fact, if you do file with a step climb, the oceanic controller will not see the filed step climb anyway, so dont waste your time.

Hi,

Sorry if I overlooked it, but is there a way to tell PFPX to not stepclimb while on NAT track?

regards

Richard

In the "Speed/Altitude" tab you can set start wpt for a segment on where no step will be planned. Also set a fixed speed there and revert back to CI at the end of the NAT so that you'll plan for a fixed mach for the NAT segment, not ECON.

In the "Speed/Altitude" tab you can set start wpt for a segment on where no step will be planned. Also set a fixed speed there and revert back to CI at the end of the NAT so that you'll plan for a fixed mach for the NAT segment, not ECO

Thanks, that was what I was sooo blindly looking for, I knew it was there somewhere, but could not find it for some reason....

regards

Richard

Exactly with mosteen said, elaborating slightly there are two entries in the speed/altitude tab

1. (First NAT Point): Alt FLXXX, SPD M.XX

2. (Last NAT Point): Alt OPT, SPD LRC/CI XX (assuming you want to go back to this)

PFPX will then plan optimum altidude up to your NAT entry, including any step climbs prior to entry, and at your selected cruise speed profile. It will then plan for no step climbs at constant mach on the NAT. Once leaving the NAT, it will plan step climbs as appropriate and resume your selected cruise speed profile.

What I have been doing typically is leaving the speed/altitude plan tab blank initially and then "compute" the flight. I'll take a look at the optimum altitude PFPX planned for the NAT track and where step climbs fall. If I have a step climb near the beginning of the NAT track, I'll pick that new altitude as the altitude for the NAT track and force the step climb a bit early. I'll then select "replan" and fill out the speed/altitude tab. For example, if PFPX computes an optimum altitude at FL350 entering the track, but plans a step climb to FL370 120 NM past the entry, I'll put FL370 for the altitude on the track when replanning. Technically you don't have to do RVSM climbs on the track either, every 1,000 are available.

This I suppose is slightly unrealistic since in the real world traffic constraints may prevent being able to pick the most efficient altitude, but it works for FSX.

Also, techincally step climbs are allowed on the NAT tracks. It is just my understanding that they are rarely approved, so it may make as much sense just to assume that they are not allowed.

@ Karsten: Maybe worth reading, in my opinion it's a nice training website from IVAO for Atlantic crossings, section 7 is about flightlevel changes:

http://occ.ivao.aero/index.php?site=pilots

I am surprised how most of this (if not everything) is just plainly copied from VATSIM-UK oceanic procedures webpage... Or is it the opposite? I don't think so :D

Excellent info ES, to support what you say; from a planning point of view it is not wise to plan with a step on a NAT. If you are "lucky" thus being able to step, it is a bonus and will positively influence your fuelconsumption.

Archived