PFPX, ETOPS, PMDG777 - A short guide P1

Hello everyone,

Please find attached a simple guide on ETOPS and the PFPX set up. This is

Part 1: In the dispatcher's office

and contains information on ETOPS and how to deal with them in PFPX.

etopsoca_part1_cover_zpsaa9e6e2d.jpg

Part 2: In the flight deck is available at:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/73486-pfpx-etops-pmdg777-part-2-flightdeck/

Keeping in mind that I am not an aviation professional and this is merely how I approach the issue, I hope you find this of use if you are new to the subject. Also my apologies in advance for the occasional spelling error, English is not my first language :)

Best regards,

Belisar

etopsoca_part1.pdf

Nice guide - thanks for sharing. One question though: I do not think the ETP on page 3 is correct. It is positioned 180 min from the southern etops alternate, but is closer to the northern etops alternate (being inside the circle). I would imagine the crossing of my 2 red lines below to be more correct. Wouldn't you?

etp.pngTorben

Yes Torben, you are correct. The image is not representative of what the circles would look in the actual rectangular Plate Carrée, either. It's purpose is to give an overview of the terminology involved with ETOPS since that is what is dealt with in the section following, and where you would encounter the "terms" along the path. The image was also at low resolution in this revision because I am working on it for the Part 2. I will make sure it is correct there, because re-plotting the CRP while airborne if the route changes is part of the procedures included in Part 2.

Thanks for your input and best regards,

Belisar

This is really good Belisar thanks, quick question I guess you will get to this in the second part, but of the 3 CRPs/ETP scenarios, do you get to use one of all 3 scenarios calculated and apply the ETP point depending on the type of emergency you have, or do you just pick one ETP location and use that no matter what emergency you have.

This is really good Belisar thanks, quick question I guess you will get to this in the second part, but of the 3 CRPs/ETP scenarios, do you get to use one of all 3 scenarios calculated and apply the ETP point depending on the type of emergency you have, or do you just pick one ETP location and use that no matter what emergency you have.

The one used would be one engine out and simultaneous decompression, (which would normally be followed by a descent to 10.000ft).

I am blown away! This manual is absolutely outstanding quality. It represents many hours of work devoted to helping other simmers. Very well designed including the cute intersecting circles logo. This will (I predict) become one of the seminal bodies of reference material for PFPX users.

Belisar,

This is a fantastic guide. Very well written, compact yet comprehensive.

And a very nicely done from the visual point of view.

Thank you very much for your work!

Have you bought the 777 Rafal?

To the OP - This guide is fantastic - thanks :-)

Hi Belisar

Where do I find the resource for Checking North American routes when exiting the Track as discussed on page 9 of your excellent 1st tutorial? I have downloaded the fantastic resource SIM SRD for the UK standard routes, but cant find anything similar for North America

I am also not getting the 60 minute circles on my world map as I follow your guide, any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Richard

Hello Richard,

First about NARs, there are a lot of place around. I use the web based tool available at the link below (referenced in the last page of Part 2):

http://techno.demon.co.uk/severnair/nar.asp

As for the 60 minute circles, they are shown as in the screen below:

etops1_zpsb5ea9373.png

If not, you might have to toggle "Show adequate airports" in the map controls. The icon looks like green clouds (green circles). Also if you go o the ETOPS block on the Advanced tab and click inside the adequate airports box, they will. The area they define has a shape like a cloud, and their perimeter is very light. The focus is on the last and first adequate along your outbound and inbound leg which define your ETOPS segment, which is probably what you see unless you do one of the above and toggle them on.

Check the 60 min around CYYT and EINN in this other screenshot inside the ETOPS circles (not always the case, but it is here):

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag80/belisari/etops_zps07d9b580.png

They denote the first and last adequate defining the ETOPS segment.

Hope this helps,

Belisar

Thank you for writing these very informative guides. For your information (and that of other interested readers), how far 60 minutes is, is not that hard to calculate. A plane's speed is usually given in knots. 1 knot is 1 nm per hour, so your plane's single engine diversion speed is equal to how far it can fly in 60 minutes. Just make sure to use the true airspeed, not the indicated airspeed.

If your single engine diversion speed is 453 KTAS (note the T, not I) then in 1 hour you can fly 453nm.

Hello Richard,

First about NARs, there are a lot of place around. I use the web based tool available at the link below (referenced in the last page of Part 2):

http://techno.demon.co.uk/severnair/nar.asp

As for the 60 minute circles, they are shown as in the screen below:

etops1_zpsb5ea9373.png

If not, you might have to toggle "Show adequate airports" in the map controls. The icon looks like green clouds (green circles). Also if you go o the ETOPS block on the Advanced tab and click inside the adequate airports box, they will. The area they define has a shape like a cloud, and their perimeter is very light. The focus is on the last and first adequate along your outbound and inbound leg which define your ETOPS segment, which is probably what you see unless you do one of the above and toggle them on.

Check the 60 min around CYYT and EINN in this other screenshot inside the ETOPS circles (not always the case, but it is here):

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag80/belisari/etops_zps07d9b580.png

They denote the first and last adequate defining the ETOPS segment.

Hope this helps,

Belisar

Hi Belisar

Thanks for your quick response, I now have found the links in part 2,

Thanks again

Richard

Yep Johnny, however, the calculation is not straightforward. If you try and convert IAS to TAS at 23000 (if that is your engine out safe max altitude for example) for either 320 or 329, you will notice it doesn't add up... (roughly your TAS would be 435(230/2+320) or 444(230/2+329)). Because as you drift down your TAS is higher, you get to have some extra miles and enjoy your 453nm distance for 60, which gets back to 435 for next 60 and so on. But as I said, I am not very good at doing these calculations correctly, so I go by what I read on FCOMs or by the default PFPX value of 320, in my guide as well as in my flights... My true area of expertise lies in the realm of coffee :D, far down from FL360.

Archived