Hey,

I just got a new Video Card for my PC it's the ATI HD7990 with dual GPU and 6 GB of VRAM. My CPU is a intel i7 3770K with 3.5 Ghz and Boost up to 4 Ghz, RAM is 12 GB.

Although these seem to be very good conditions for playing X-Plane, it doesnt work fluently when I turn up the graphics, but there is for example never used more VRAM than about 2.5 GB, besides that my Catalyst Controll Center tells me that my GPUs never are used to capacity (In fact sometimes there is even one of the GPUs in the sleep mode.. wtf?) So my question is, why does my video card not put more afford in X-Plane? :D are there some drivers which I could install, especially for the x-Plane-HD79xx - Combination?

thanks

Hi Kai,

When you use a dual gpu setup in crossfire or sli you dont double the amount of gpu ram available, so you would still only have 3gig usable vram due to the way dual gpu's work.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have a i7 2700K OC at 4.4 and I just replace my GTX580 1.5GB by a Gigabyte GTX780 3GB OC.... result is amazing... with HDR on and close to 1800MB graphics load, i get a 30fps aver KSEA nighthtime.... I though I had a great card but this one is a game changer.... for FSX i gues this is less visible.

• Administrator

Hello,

for the performance with x-plane 10 you have to see the hole system:

CPU (Core, Speed), RAM (quantity, speed, bandwidth...), GPU (VRAM, speed, bandwith...), Motherboard and the cooperation of this components.

SLI or Dual GPU provide only a significant performance benefit with very large displays (multiple displays...).

Here is a little table of the feature and the affected subsystem:

AI Aircraft -> CPU/VRAM/Bus Bandwidth
Cars -> CPU
Clouds -> GPU
HDR -> GPU
Objects -> Bus Bandwidth (CPU on old cards)
Roads -> Bus Bandwidth
Forests -> Bus Bandwidth
Screen Resolution / Window Size -> GPU (usage proportional to resolution)
Shadows -> Bus Bandwidth (this amplifies all other bus bandwidth use a lot!)

The developer blog ist a good adress to read about such things (Post 2 from Hectort).

And may be our english forum for X-Plane 10 :) :

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/466-x-plane-10-english-forums/

Greets

Do not worry guys ...

Sadly, X-Plane is not very optimised yet ... things should change in 10.30 as I've heard

See, I got a pretty impressive config made this summer to run all my lovely sims to max, inclueding DCS, X-Plane, IL-2 CoD etc ...

I7 3970X, Zotac GTX Titan AMP! Edition 6Go, 32GB Ram 2400MHz DDR3 G Skillz, ASUS Rampage IV, Win 7 64bits ...

I could not take better components as these looks to be the most powerful around here now, and X-Plane still suffer at max settings ...

Hopefully I still got 60+ FPS with EVERYTHING MAXED OUT, over KSEA, but without full shadows and full AA ...what kills my system ( and so the Titan GPU ) is anti alias and global shadows ...

And surprisingly, the default ugly FSX do not perform well at all at full default settings, sometimes only 25FPS with the simple ultralight ;-(

Archived